Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.09.01, 02:00 AM   #1
color01

Front Wheel Bearing Spacer Data

Sometimes known as "crush washers" in larger scales, front wheel bearing spacers are one way to significantly improve the precision of a RWD Mini-Z's front suspension. TJ Macabuhay introduced these to us a bit over a year ago, as far as I remember, but his spacers were designed originally just for the PN Machine Cut Delrin 20mm Dish wheels. With more good competition-caliber wheel options for Mini-Z than ever before, I thought it would be a good idea to compile some shim/washer combinations that work properly as front wheel bearing spacers.

... Little did I know that TJ's spacers are so good, that they will work on their own or with the help of a PN alu 0.2mm shim to fit nearly all popular brands and designs of MR01/015/02/03 wheels. I do NOT recommend substituting TJ's spacers for anything aluminum, as steel is harder and takes a lot more force to crush. Absolutely DO NOT use plastic washers for this application, they'll get crushed the first time you torque down the wheel nuts, and you'll end up damaging your front wheel bearings. The PN alu shim I use simply because there is currently no precision steel spacer that is 0.2mm thicker than TJ's. It will eventually get flattened, at which point it is important to replace it with a fresh 0.2mm shim.

So, first the list of wheels that work with a single steel spacer (TJ's FPR Front Wheel Bearing Spacer):

PN Machine Cut Delrin 20mm Dish, 19mm Dish

Fits perfectly, no problems. This is the original intended application, obviously it works! The newer 19mm Delrin dishes also fit this spacer flawlessly.

Almost ALL Kyosho MR01/015/02/03 wheels

I have tried the single steel spacer with all the Kyosho wheels that I have, it has worked every single time. The FPR steel spacer is the ONLY one that will successfully work as a front wheel bearing spacer in Kyosho rims, because it is the only one with a small enough outer diameter not to interfere with the wheel hub itself. Sometimes you need to ream out the hub "flange" a little bit so that the FPR spacer does not rub.

Square NA/NB/NC/WA/WB/WC Series wheels

Fits perfectly. As far as I know, the new A/B/C series of Square wheels have the same hub dimensions. I unfortunately cannot confirm this for the older series of wheels (SKM-007 and SKM-107 series) but I believe that Square should also keep their hub dimensions constant.

Now, the list of wheels that work with one steel spacer + one PN alu 0.2mm shim:

Atomic Dish Rims*

Fits perfectly, no problems. I suspect the T.S. series wheels should have the same hub spacing, so you can do the same for T.S. wheels.
Edit: Seems that you might not need the PN 0.2mm shim for certain brands of ball bearings. For Reflex bearings, however, you definitely need it.

PN Spoked Rims

Fits perfectly, lots of hub clearance with the FPR spacer. As a side note, always watch out for cracking with PN spoked rims. They're light though!

MantisWorx wheels

Fits perfectly, just be careful removing the bearings from these wheels because you pretty much have to twist it out of the hub (no slots, can't reach pliers around the bearing to tug it out).

Atomic S6 wheels

Fits perfectly, no problems.

Gandini (GRP) Racing Foams
(no picture)
Hub and PN 0.2mm shim may rub. Can either ream out the hub flange or try switching the positions of the FPR spacer and PN shim and see if you get lucky.

What wheels I'm missing data for:

Atomic T.S. series
Should honestly be the same as Atomic Dish, but I don't have any personally.

Older Square wheels
Should be the same as newer Square wheels, however I sold my old Inch-Ups.

Older Kyosho wheels
Perhaps the molds have changed? Who knows.

Kyosho aluminum wheels
No data or references to guess with.

R246 aluminum wheels

3racing aluminum wheels

TaGu aluminum wheels

That's all that I know, hopefully you guys and gals can help or I can scrape together enough money to buy a set each of the wheels I'm missing!

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2010.09.01 at 12:00 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.01, 02:24 AM   #2
SAGISI

FPR spacers are ran in all my cars! You never need to worry about over tightening the wheels. These spacers also are useful in other parts of the car (under knuckles, inside top spring when running reflex kingpins for down stop, and general spacing on the mini z) hopefully this thread brings more interests to these spacers so Ray L. Will start making them again. I run atomic dish wheels with just fpr spacer and no pn shim. Just face the race of the bearing (pn) that's sticks out the furthest towards the center of the wheel. If ran with reflex bearings you may need to use pn spacer.
Old 2010.09.01, 02:27 AM   #3
SAGISI

Wink

Color01- Awesome write up!!!

Also everyone message Tjay to come back to the mini z scene
Old 2010.09.01, 06:15 AM   #4
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

why did he leave?
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.01, 12:00 PM   #5
SAGISI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsstrike View Post
why did he leave?
Im not to sure why he left.. I know he comes on the forums quite frequentlly though. I think he's into mountain biking now, but he stops by FPR every now and then.. Maybe if an MR04 comes out then he will come back. He was hands down the best driver ive seen and the best driver to practice, train, and learn with.
Old 2010.09.01, 10:20 PM   #6
herman

can somebody post some installation pics? like where does it exactly go?
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.01, 10:34 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
It goes between the bearings on the knuckle axle. Basically allowing you to tighten up the wheelnut a little more than you would be able to without the spacer. It gets rid of slop, and the bearing wont distort from the pressure applied.

Square has gone about this a different way using a 3mm inside diameter bearing with a sleeve that goes over the knuckle axle. I think the FPR spacer works better, although I wish it was a hair wider as it doesnt work perfectly with the Atomic or Mantis wheels, and thats mostly what I use.
Old 2010.09.01, 11:19 PM   #8
Felix2010

God info color0 as always.

TJ - Come Back.
Old 2010.09.01, 11:34 PM   #9
herman

thanks emu for the reply...

hmm... so it's the spacer then inner bearing, rim, outer bearing then nut?
or is it inner bearing, spacer, rim, outer bearing, nut?
or is it inner bearing, rim, spacer, outer bearing, nut?

thanks again... any pics? apologize for being the oldest noob around here...
Old 2010.09.02, 12:15 AM   #10
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
thanks emu for the reply...

hmm... so it's the spacer then inner bearing, rim, outer bearing then nut?
or is it inner bearing, spacer, rim, outer bearing, nut?
or is it inner bearing, rim, spacer, outer bearing, nut?

thanks again... any pics? apologize for being the oldest noob around here...
inner bearing, spacer, rim, outer bearing, nut?
inner bearing, rim, spacer, outer bearing, nut?
same same.....
it sits in between the inner and outer bearings , in side the hub of the front wheel...in most other applications it is called a wheel bearing spacer
so u can tighten the axle without over-side-loading the bearing causing it to lock up

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.02, 03:55 AM   #11
color01

Code:
[Rim][Rim][Rim][Rim][Rim]
          [Rim]
          [Rim]
          [Rim]

[Bearing][Spacer][Bearing]

[Rim]
          [Rim]
          [Rim]
[Rim][Rim][Rim][Rim][Rim]
Quickest semi-graphical representation I could come up with, Herman. That's how these are installed, and also why they allow you to crank down on the nuts -- you get to avoid putting any strain on the balls inside the ball bearings themselves.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.09.02, 02:51 PM   #12
pfcparts

E,

I think you meant squat. I've been using the Squat CS464?
set on all of my 03s that don't use PN knuckles. (the brass
sleeves don't fit PN) I actually like the larger inner bores as I
feel they spin better... That and when these run their life,
I can just order a bunch of the same bearings in bulk lol.

They also make brass spacers as well for even finer
adjustment.

Definitely a good informative write up c0.

parts
Old 2010.09.02, 03:39 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Your right, Squat...
Old 2010.09.02, 10:10 PM   #14
herman

aahhh so desu ne.....

thanks very mucho emu, yasuji and color01... was just holding a rim just now... color01's graphic made it very very clear...

basically it's a washer with an outer diameter that just fits right in the center hole of the rim and inner diameter that of the front axle, being sandwiched by the inner & outer bearings...

thanks again for all your efforts to educate me...
appreciation follows... (imagine me bowing down to mini-z masters emu, yasuji and color01)

i usually made plastic washers waaay back to take up any slop... thinking about it, tj's solution is a whole lot better though... citing the benefits below

Quote:
Originally Posted by emu
Basically allowing you to tighten up the wheelnut a little more than you would be able to without the spacer. It gets rid of slop, and the bearing wont distort from the pressure applied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yasuji
so u can tighten the axle without over-side-loading the bearing causing it to lock up

Last edited by herman; 2010.09.02 at 10:17 PM.
Old 2010.09.02, 11:51 PM   #15
hobbycar

Thanks Color01 for the writeup.

I'm definitely interested in getting these FPR Front Wheel Bearing Spacers now that I'm running my 2WD again in our LM class. Unfortunately the Shop is showing them out of stock

Semi-Related: in researching these Fast Pace Racing Front Wheel Bearing Spacers I stumbled upon the Fast Pace Racing Blog Post on the PN Tri Damper System. Very helpful article.

Thanks Tjay! I hope you come back/stay in the Mini-Z scene.

-hobbycar

Last edited by hobbycar; 2010.09.02 at 11:55 PM.
hobbycar is offline   Reply With Quote