Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.04.20, 02:33 PM   #1
screaminduck
Chick Magnet

mini giant mods

I finally got around to locking the rear diff. Big difference. It climbs so much better now, and it really didn't affect the turning radius too much. I also added some weight to the front end. The extra weight definately helps keep the front end on the ground better and it helped take some of the "boing" out of those stiff springs. I still gotta do something about those springs. What were they thinking?
screaminduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.04.20, 03:38 PM   #2
TNB
Pet Human

Most of the people I know with Mini-Giants have replaced the springs. However, I am unable to write what kind. I have a mini giant on order and one of the locals is providing me with a set of replacement springs, along with a few other odds and ends for the mini giant since I really liked his set-up. I do know that he has also installed the bearings, replaced the servo, lowered the gearing, locked the diff, used a Mini-T H1 body, and fried one of the cells in the Venom battery pack. (WARNING: Someone else I know fried the stock radio because he put one of the batteries in wrong.) He also installed a stock Mini-T motor in someone elses Mini-Giant and owns one of the MR-02mm "Trucks" shown in Gallery TNB. After RCX and as soon as I receive my Mini-Giant and fix it up a little, I'll upload some photos. Perhaps, a photo of several Mini-Giants at the local RCP track.
Old 2004.04.20, 08:17 PM   #3
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

I've got a set of bearings for my Mini Giant, but haven't found the time to install them yet. One thing I want to do is remove the stock servo and put a micro servo right on the axle, similar to modified Clod Busters. I might take a look and see if those Maxx metal springs will fit on the Mini Giant shocks, take some of that boing out. My friend did a simple mod to remove the toe-out and put in some toe-in, his truck turns much better now. All he did was make a single tie rod using threaded rod and rod ends that ties the two knuckles directly together and he made it longer than that wierd plastic tie rod that comes on the kit so it toes the tires in a little. He didn't replace the stock tie rod, just added to it, which also stiffened it for better steering response. If I don't get around to the axle mounted micro servo soon I might have to try that first. Also, I have a Leopard speed controller that has brakes that I might put in as well.

How can you fry the radio by putting the batteries in wrong? It's a non-polarity system, it doesn't matter how you put them in.

David
Old 2004.04.20, 11:12 PM   #4
TNB
Pet Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkin
How can you fry the radio by putting the batteries in wrong? It's a non-polarity system, it doesn't matter how you put them in.
David
It is my understanding that you cannot put three batteries in a row facing the same direction. In other words:

+-
+-
+-

or
-+
-+
-+

The polatiry must still alternate:
+-
-+
+-

or
-+
+-
-+

I have no idea what the Mini-Giant instructions provide since I haven't received mine yet, but I was present when this guy's radio transmitter fried: It damaged all his rechargeable batteries literally melting all the heat shrink. The owner then slammed the controller on the floor and against a brick wall.

Heed the warning for what it's worth since I am only relaying what I saw happen. However, don't let me stop you from trying to insert the batteries any which way you desire and posting your findings. If you don't alternate your batteries and your radio functions fine, I relay your results back to the guy with the "melted" radio so he can complain to Venom-Racing or to whomever.
Old 2004.04.21, 12:24 PM   #5
akura2
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE

Send a message via Skype™ to akura2
The Rx's battery system is non-polar not the Tx..the transmitter still requires you to install the batteries with alternating polarities

Last edited by akura2; 2004.04.21 at 12:29 PM.
akura2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.04.21, 04:39 PM   #6
screaminduck
Chick Magnet

Actually the TX and RX both use the non polarity system. I ALMOST fried mine too. I felt the batteries getting hot almost as soon as I installed them in the radio, so I got them out before any damage was done. What my problem turned out to be was I was using Sanyo rechargeable AA's and the positive terminal on those batteries is so large it was shorting out against their non polarity system. I put regular alkalines in the radio and it worked fine. I'm just glad the rechargables I bought for in the truck--before I received it--just happened to have smaller positive terminals.
Too bad they didn't spend more time on designing the suspension and less on their battery holders.
Old 2004.04.21, 08:52 PM   #7
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Quote:
What my problem turned out to be was I was using Sanyo rechargeable AA's and the positive terminal on those batteries is so large it was shorting out against their non polarity system
Okay, that makes more sense. I don't think you can ruin anything no matter how they are installed, the instructions go out of their way to point this out. It does not matter!

David
Old 2004.04.22, 12:52 AM   #8
Ryutech

So how is the articulation on the Mini Giant? I've scoured the net for any pictures of this but are as yet to find any. Will it make a decent crawler?
Ryutech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.04.22, 05:53 PM   #9
screaminduck
Chick Magnet

I'd say i has very good articulation and it would definitely make a great crawler---except, the stock springs are so stiff they bearly move. I found some other springs at my local hardware store that improved things, but it still needs to be softer. I would really like to find out if Mini-T oil shocks would fit the Mini Giant. The only problem with making it a crawler is that it seems very top heavy. Mine is constantly rolling over. However I think a lot of that is due to the suspension not being soft enough to conform to the terrain. Instead of the suspension flexing, it just flops over. Overall it's a good design--it just needs a little tweaking.
Old 2004.04.24, 10:41 PM   #10
Vmax
Mini-z Juggler

I overheard on another forum that the jumping mini giant at the beginning of the video on the venom site uses mini-t rear oil shocks. This supposedly comes directly from Venom. However, they are not direct bolt-ons.
Old 2004.04.25, 12:58 PM   #11
mini-z
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davkin
My friend did a simple mod to remove the toe-out and put in some toe-in, his truck turns much better now. All he did was make a single tie rod using threaded rod and rod ends that ties the two knuckles directly together and he made it longer than that wierd plastic tie rod that comes on the kit so it toes the tires in a little. He didn't replace the stock tie rod, just added to it, which also stiffened it for better steering response.
D, any chance of a pic?
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.04.25, 04:48 PM   #12
davkin
Master of My Mini Domain

Here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tierod-1.jpg (26.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 2004.04.26, 04:46 AM   #13
TNB
Pet Human

Upon my return from RCX, two packages were waiting--A new Mini-Giant and a Mini-Z-Racer hat. Now all I have to do is get some hop-ups for the Mini-Giant, which unfortuneately, Venom-Racing was not selling at RCX though I did speak with the President regarding the radio/battery problem. He was apparently aware of the problem and Venom has apparently fixed it, so the newer radios should not burn out because of rechargeable batteries. Regarding the person I know who fried his radio, I'm passing on the contact information.

There are also lots of new "RCX" photos in Gallery TNB.
Old 2004.04.26, 10:21 AM   #14
Vmax
Mini-z Juggler

Hey, do any of you guys have pictures of a mini giant next to a mini-z? Are teh mini giants light enough to run on sand? I'm really thinking about getting one.
Old 2004.04.26, 01:02 PM   #15
TNB
Pet Human

I'll try to upload some later this evening, but I haven't even opened the Mini-Giant box yet.