Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.10.02, 06:28 PM   #1
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Flash's new ride

MRCG RB-01

Here she be, in all her wide offset front-end, lexan body, handwound motor, modular electronics goodness...

Additional components used in the build
-ATM knuckles (+1+
-ATM stainless kingpins
-ATM purple front springs
-ATM orange center spring
-ATM black alloy wheelnuts
-ATM delrin damper disks/superhardened damper post
-Kyosho oil shock, 3 spacers, MM length spring
-AVID bearings
-ATM M1 can with 34t spiral/slotted armature
-Sanyo Eneloop cells
-Novak Spy ESC
-Ko Propo 75 mHz FM micro Rx
-Futaba S3154 micro servo
-3R outer tune diff, PN 64p 53t pinion, AVID ceramic 5 ball set-up
-Atlas superwide alloys (Atomicshop.de 15mm foams) rear, Atlas narrow (GQ supersoft 8.5mm foams)...not pictured

Overall, even though I only had a couple of hours to run it, I would say this chassis has lots of promise. It fits my driving style very well, as I love to lay on the throttle very heavy. Instead of the usual over-rotation that I would get from the mr02, I simply get a controlled drift. Once I get it dialed, I think this will rival the AWD for the most-fun-to-drive aspect of mini-z racing. The wide offset makes for a very interesting feel; it's planted yet very nimble. I would say that was probably the oddest thing to get acquainted with, that's for sure. With the lexan body it feels very, very light, almost as light as my mr02 without batteries. Right now I have the Spy in it, but once I get the XMC180 installed, I should have more room in there. As it is, though, there was just enough room to mount all the 'tronics and get the TeamBlueGroove body mounted relatively low.

The suspension, particularly the rear, on this car is amazing. The front end works as well as the mr02, just as it should. The rear end, with it's F1 style plates, is quite another story. The lateral roll is rigid enough to get the car rotating, while the fore-aft movement is soft enough to keep the arse in line even with the excessive power that I am using. The damper system is very smooth, and additional tuning of the center pivot spring is just icing on the cake. I still have lots of tuning to do, and will keep updating whenever I make a new breakthrough. This pup has lots of potential, and I almost feel like I robbed Brian for getting it so cheap

Available at www.Maine-iac-motors-rc.com
Flashsp-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.02, 06:56 PM   #2
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

another beast
these things can take some stick with the throttle especially with that motor!
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 02:07 AM   #3
Felix2010

Love it, Flash. Totally custom, hobby-grade goods - Nice (As all your wips are).
Your comments on the rear suspension makes me like the MRCG even more. I tend to run fast motors and go heavy on the throttle. Controlled drifting is just my style.
I hope you have time to add more pics & comments to this thread as you get to drive your MRCG more.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 07:19 AM   #4
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Did you have your springs in front for the pics? It looks LOW...almost like its sitting on the ground

Looking good though. I cant wait to hear more thoughts on it as well.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.03, 07:08 PM   #5
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
Did you have your springs in front for the pics? It looks LOW...almost like its sitting on the ground

Looking good though. I cant wait to hear more thoughts on it as well.
I figured somebody would notice. I had pulled the springs out before I snapped the pics. It sits really low, but not that low

Thanks for the compliments guys, I should have more pics/feedback next weekend.

Old 2008.10.06, 12:20 AM   #6
Felix2010

Flash - I have one of those 3R Outer-Tuned diffs also. How you liking yours? I set mine up pretty much the same as you: ceramic 5-ball setup, PN 64p spur-53t, stock steel shaft. Overall I like mine. I hadn't used mine in a lil' bit though until recent, I had slipping problems with the rings so I used a tiny amount of heavy-duty white glue to secure the rings to the inner & outer hub. I only used a small amount of glue on the inner hub too so as to not glue the large black O-ring between the inner ring and hub, only the ring is glued lightly around the center hole. No slipping now. Overall I think this diff is purrty sweet.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.06, 07:40 AM   #7
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2010 View Post
Flash - I have one of those 3R Outer-Tuned diffs also. How you liking yours? I set mine up pretty much the same as you: ceramic 5-ball setup, PN 64p spur-53t, stock steel shaft. Overall I like mine. I hadn't used mine in a lil' bit though until recent, I had slipping problems with the rings so I used a tiny amount of heavy-duty white glue to secure the rings to the inner & outer hub. I only used a small amount of glue on the inner hub too so as to not glue the large black O-ring between the inner ring and hub, only the ring is glued lightly around the center hole. No slipping now. Overall I think this diff is purrty sweet.
I dig the outer tuned diff, it's pretty solid in my opinion. I haven't experienced any slipping yet, at least nothing that I have noticed. I haven't put many hours on it yet though, so it's hard to say for sure how well it will hold up to this type of abuse. Only time will tell, but for now, it's a nice piece, especially for the price. I will have to try the tricks you mentioned though, thanks...

Old 2008.10.07, 03:17 PM   #8
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Changed the Spy out for an XMC180, definitely cleared up a lot of room. Also put on the pretty wheels for the photoshoot

Old 2008.10.07, 03:56 PM   #9
color01

That is a LOT of tire, lol... I also notice you have plenty of servo room even in 94MM wheelbase, what servo is that?

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.07, 04:32 PM   #10
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

From the angled end near the front I'd say it's a Futaba 3110 or 3114...I have both and they are quite a good space/weight savings.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.08, 03:25 AM   #11
Flashsp-2
motor guru

You goobs, read the first post

It's a Futaba S3154; really nice piece, good speed and resolution is great. And it's quite tiny too...

Old 2008.10.09, 05:06 AM   #12
color01

Hahaha noob moment for me! Too much text.

Any further updates?

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2008.10.09 at 05:09 AM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.09, 07:19 AM   #13
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Any further updates?
Yeah, I mounted up the PN swaybar (green), and changed the springs to ATM purples. The XMC180 definitely doesn't have the same punch as the Spy, it delivers the power in a much softer way. I thought maybe my batteries were low, so I charged them up, but got the same results. I don't really know how I feel about using the XMC...maybe I will stack some meaner FETs on it. As for the chassis, the more I drive it, the more I love it. I can't get over how tiny and nimble it feels, even though it's ridiculous wide all around. With all the weight dead-center, it really rotates, just like we were talking about on GSR. I'll have more updates again, hopefully this weekend, when I get more track time.

Old 2008.10.09, 07:03 PM   #14
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Who you calling goob?! Seriously though, you also seem to have more servo room because you don't have the autoscale front mount to bump up against.

When you say the 180 has a softer throttle than the Spy do you mean it has a lower ramp/ curve to the throttle but still hits the same top end? Can you program it out on your TX instead of switching fets?

I'll be sticking with the Spy for my build...the Spy and the Spectrum 3500 RX fit together side by side so well I imagine color01 measured the final deck size to correspond perfectly.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.09, 07:19 PM   #15
Flashsp-2
motor guru

I have an ASC clip on there, but I filed down the back. It's the wierd looking thing with the screws sticking up. It's pretty ugly, but it holds the lexan body just fine, and it doesn't impede my servo mounting.

The XMC just feels softer all around. The punch is lower, and the top end zing is a little less as well. I can't say for sure though, as I tested the Spy on-track and the XMC out in the open, so maybe the difference really isn't that pronounced. For me it just feels like the power has been reigned in a bit, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

If I had spektrum I would soooo be using the Spy, but with the Ko Rx the space is a little too tight. Either way, using real electronics is so much better. This car is what a mr02 wishes it could be