Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.02.09, 09:32 AM   #1
helee4

Send a message via MSN to helee4 Send a message via Yahoo to helee4 Send a message via Skype™ to helee4
Drifting behavior changed with bearing

I have installed the bearing set for my AWZ last night. First reaction was the car does run much smoother. However, when I tried to drift, I realize the car is much "slippier" and becomes hard to control with the tail swinging out alot. Do you think it is just the wheels deliever more power to the ground that casues this? I then changed to higher gear ratio hoping by reducing the torque can help, but still much more difficult to control compare to before installing the bearing.

Do you guys have similar experience? I know it might be I need to get used to the additional power to the ground with bearing, but the change is so drastic really surprise me.
helee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.09, 10:01 AM   #2
byebye

The bearings will make a difference in how smooth the car runs. Since there was an obvious power gain I suggest you dial back the steering a little to control the extra power. I would have to say that I believe what you are saying is true.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.09, 11:22 AM   #3
helee4

Send a message via MSN to helee4 Send a message via Yahoo to helee4 Send a message via Skype™ to helee4
Thanks Byebye, btw your latest drift video is awesome! Wish I can develope my drifting skill like you.

Do you think by putting taller pinion gear would help. I have been using the stock setup and is quite used to the speed and power. Then I changed to to 19/27 last night. I didn't feel it lost much low end acceleration, but the increased speed makes it even more difficult to control drifting...

I remember I tried to use my Airtronics Tx earlier, but it was behaving strange. So, I given up and went back to the stock Tx. I will see again it my Airtronic Tx will work. I would have thought it should work with all AM 27Mhz Tx.
Old 2006.02.09, 12:13 PM   #4
byebye

Thanks!

I think with the tallest gearing I was able to get a dismal 30kmh. In an mr-02 with a 9t pinion and stock motor I was able to get 23kmh. The gearing is the big restriction when it comes to top speed.

Anyway, since you are drifting there is less grip and less restriction I don't believe will be affected by taller gearing much. When you have a lot of grip the taller gearing will require more torque to get going and effects acceleration.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.10, 10:18 PM   #5
nuklhed

For drifting, I would stick with the stock gearing. It produces the most torque and when it comes to drifting....torque is your friend. If you are having too much oversteer, dial out your steering until you can keep the rear somewhat under control, depending on surface. Try dialing it at 50%, then try 25%. From there, you can fiddle with the dial to suit your driving style.

When I first installed bearings, my car did seem alittle more faster. That's when I started to play with the steering dial and front toe settings alot.

Good luck!
nuklhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.02.10, 11:27 PM   #6
Capt. Oversteer

I tried drifting for the first time tonight. I installed my Kyosho bearings last night and also installed the AWD X-speed motor. I have a lot of practice ahead of me!! One of the guys I work with at my local hobby store had an AWD and was drifting a few weeks ago and remarked on how warm the stock motor got. He checked mine tonight after the car and been run for a good 10 to 15 minutes of drifting and it was hardly warm. He did some drifting with my car and said it runs good. I have the Caprice taxi body on mine. I am going to set up my foam mats and do some practicing this coming week. I know I dialed out steering tonight and did a lot better, and I may dial out some throttle for a while to get the feel of things.
Old 2006.02.11, 01:40 PM   #7
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
I tried my number 4 front bar to help stabilize the frontend with the standard "B" rear bar. I may go back to the "C" rear bar on the FD body. I am also using the 1.5 offset front wheels and 2.5 rear wheels, and I may go with the 0 offset wide rears when my wide drift tires show up. Other than that it is stock aside from the AWD X speed and Tiny RC Xmods bearings. My drift 8.5mm tires are sanded down for a flatter profile. The wide ones are already flat I think, but I may sand them anyway for a tiny little grip.
Old 2006.02.11, 10:16 PM   #8
helee4

Good info guys! I found that dialing down the dual rate really helps alot. Other than that, I changed by gear from the taller ratio to stock to regain torque. Car still put out more power with the bearing and does take more adjustment to control drift.
Old 2006.02.12, 07:09 PM   #9
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
I have been using my old KT 2 transmitter on mine, the D/R knob is right by my thumb. This way I can change it on the fly (dial it down to run normaly, and turn it full for spins and stunts). My KT 5 TX that came with the readyset has never been out of the box. I know some like other transmitters, but I like my old KT 2.
Old 2006.02.13, 01:15 AM   #10
jaeneke
miniZ teletubbie

i drift with this set up :
-fet upgrade
-atomic stock AWD motor
-titanium center shaft
-40° or drift tires (depends what surface)
-nr4 hard springs on all corners
-toe in 1° in front
-toe in 1° in the back

i noticed that the springs/tire combination controls the most of youre drift !
if youre back go out to much you just put in some softer springs or softer tires(i would try the springs first).
if youre driving a stock pcb a atomic motor(perfect for drifting) is good with the smaller gearing but if you instal a fet upgrade you would be better of with a big gear
(full opposite lock drifts of 4 to 5 meters )
HPI savage : 35 full fastlane alloy 4.6BB
hormann HT2 bigscale 26cc
team losi miniT PRO
team losi microT lipo
jaeneke is offline   Reply With Quote