Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.12.12, 09:15 PM   #1
Br0ken Autumn

MA-010 vs. XMOD EVO

Ok first off the MA is way better I understand that.

Though I am curious to know what u guys think of the major dif. I wouldn't be using it to race just to toss around the garage/driveway/street and mostly for drifting. The evo has a better price tag but at the same time it would be getting a new motor, awd, drift tires cause they make them, all the dif. suspension tuning components, and a dif. body. I would only get the basic set for the ma because it would be getting the same body as I would get for the evo and I have a remote, besides I want it with the extra tuning components. Oh and they would both be geting a lipo at 7.4v because I already have that aswell. So would the extra money be worth it for the ma for my uses, is it much more durable, Is all the extra tuning going to make a dif.? I have heard that the throtle is much smoother on the miniz than on the evo but would the evo except a dif. remote and would that then solve the problem. with all said and done im probly looking at a 50$ dif. and I am kinda thinking that would be worth it. The only other thing I am thinking about is I currently have no one else to run with and it would be easier to convince co-workers/ family to buy a xmod and run with me, though ultimately that probably won't happen anyway. ok I am done now. lol.
Br0ken Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.12, 09:27 PM   #2
Sasquatch

Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch
The XMOD Evo is fast, faster than the MA-010, so you should get a new motor, or at least bearings for the MA-010 instead of the XMOD Evo.

The XMOD you cannot change remotes without changing the electronics, so you're stuck there if you don't want to change. Plus it's not very proportional, so it might cause problems, but if you get used to it, it might not be that big of a deal, unless you try a Mini-Z, lol. The XMOD is a good best bang for your buck deal.

The Mini-Z is if you want lots of tuning, good parts, quality and exceptional propo. It is much smoother, much quieter and easier to drive than the XMOD.

If I had a choice, and I was doing what you were doing, I would get the MA-010 chassis set, bearings, a motor, body, radio, no lipos, drift tires and thats it for the beginning. Then I would get springs, rear and front toe controls to really fine tune it.

I would go for the MA-010, and convince your friends to get an XMOD, but if you know they are going to stick with R/C, tell them to get MA-010's because you can race them too.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.12, 09:48 PM   #3
Br0ken Autumn

hmmm ok so do you think that drifting would be easier on the ma010 because of the propo? and why no lipo I already have the battery and everything from another project. Wouldn't the 7.4 bring the ma up to speed or make it faster than the evo? I am planing on doing something about the heat build up from the motor in the MA. If I have to get a motor for that aswell I am looking at a 30+- increase in the difference. so that may sway me. Not that its a lot of money or anything I just don't think I could justify the buy for just messing around in the garage and such with a price tag heading over 200. My two biggest hold ups is the fact that I am used to the hobby grade quality but really looking for a toy more or less. I want the functionality, durability and the tinkering ability with a light price tag basically. If the evo is going to break and not even drift that well then i would rather spend the money on the MA. If the evo can do the job well enough and stay together than the MA's quality and price tag would then just be overkill. I am so stuck lol. Thanks for the insight though
Old 2005.12.12, 11:05 PM   #4
Sasquatch

Send a message via MSN to Sasquatch
Drifting would be much easier with the MA-010, especially with it's radio and propo.

Lipos will just give too much power, and you can't just hook them up to the stock PCB. It will just blow it up. Bearings, motor, radio and drift tires is all you need for the MA-010.

I don't know how good is the Evo's durability and quality is, but I know for sure it is much better than previous XMODS.

If you just want a toy, I'd go for an XMOD Evo, 4WD kit, motor kit, whatever else from RS and an Iwaver PCB and radio. That way you can have the proportionality like the MA-010, but for still much cheaper. It should be a pretty easy install, just take out the stock electronics, solder the servo onto the Iwaver PCB and you are good to go. Thats what I would do if I just wanted a toy instead of a super nice car.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.13, 10:45 AM   #5
Br0ken Autumn

lol ok. well tuff choice. really i want the ma010, though I cant convince myself to spend more money on it lol. ok well thanks for your help.
Old 2005.12.13, 11:16 AM   #6
machine
learning the hard way

I agree with Sas, the EVO being better than the last version still doesn't allow you to change remotes. Your stuck with the stock remote unless you do some work to swap electronics.

The MA010 will need a few parts to get it to a decent speed, motor, bearings etc. But you'll be happier than if you went the Xmod route. Price is the only monkey on the back.
Old 2005.12.13, 11:48 AM   #7
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
I am glad I held out for my MA01. I have not tried the Xmods Evos yet so I can not compare off the bat. I always figured that with the Evos you buy the starter set the have to add a few upgrades like the AWD set, and before you know it you are up to what the Kyosho cost. I am more than thrilled with my MA01 so far, I can only guess that down the road we will see more hobby grade upgrades for it. Even with a slightly massaged stock motor I like the speed it can get, soon to be the AWD X Speed motor.
Old 2005.12.16, 07:39 PM   #8
nuklhed

I have an EVO(r.i.p.) and a MA010 setup for strictly drifting.

They both drift very well. My MA010 is actually faster during the slide, but I have better feint drift control with my Evo. I think that is because of the wide all around drift tires and the slight roughness to the tires also.

Runtime goes to the MA010, even though my Evo has bearings in it and a stock motor still.

Replacement stock parts are available for the MA010. The Evo...umm, well you'll need to hope someone is gonna help on that. No replacement parts at the X-Mod Evo dealership. The one thing I hate the most about the Evo, so my car will stay broken for a very long time. I had a bad drift accident.

Overall, the MA010 would be the better purchase. Buy the RTR kit and some drift tires....drift all you want. Then when you have more money, buy bearings. The runtime will improve even more. And of course, any drifting fan must own a Initial D body.

Thanks for the space!
nuklhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.16, 09:59 PM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine
I agree with Sas, the EVO being better than the last version still doesn't allow you to change remotes. Your stuck with the stock remote unless you do some work to swap electronics.

The MA010 will need a few parts to get it to a decent speed, motor, bearings etc. But you'll be happier than if you went the Xmod route. Price is the only monkey on the back.
by the time you purchase the awd kit, swap electronics (makes the car well worth it, if you already had it) etc, your close to teh ma kit price just to get something truly comparable.

the xmods is definately worth the money for once though. it's no mini-z but still a great car for the money.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.17, 06:16 PM   #10
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Comparing any Xmods to a Kyosho Mini Z, try this: remove the axle shaft from the car and dry fit it into the wheel from the car. On my Xmods I have tried it with three different Xmods wheels, every one did still have some play from the shaft in the wheel. I did this with my MA01, there is no play at all. You will see why it has been posted time and time again that you get what you payed for, or even "the devil is in the details" as another way to put it. I still think the Xmods are good for what they are, I just find the Mini Z's in any form worthwhile. Mostly from the build quality.
Old 2005.12.20, 08:15 PM   #11
yamar6

i have the evo and i am very happy with the car xcept the loose wheels.im waiting for GPM's ball diffs & shafts.after that throwing a iwaver board in it.im still going to buy the mini z to have both .i still think if radioshack makes the parts out of better plastic and let it use a real radio kyosho will have a nice car to race with.
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.28, 11:40 AM   #12
Roketmini
The C is Missing.

Send a message via AIM to Roketmini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
If you just want a toy, I'd go for an XMOD Evo, 4WD kit, motor kit, whatever else from RS and an Iwaver PCB and radio. That way you can have the proportionality like the MA-010, but for still much cheaper. It should be a pretty easy install, just take out the stock electronics, solder the servo onto the Iwaver PCB and you are good to go. Thats what I would do if I just wanted a toy instead of a super nice car.
Not to sound noob...but how much does an Iwaver Pcb/Radio cost? And could I get one at, say, Tower Hobbies? I want the MA-010, but after seeing all the requests for fix-its on the forum, I'd rather stick with Xmods. Thanks.
Old 2005.12.28, 12:24 PM   #13
imxlr8ed

Check the vids... I haven't seen vids of any Evos running this smooth !
(the ros-speed vid is very cool, their X-modZ was always cool, and is still cool !)
If anyone knows of any vids of an Evo running this well, please post it !
If pictures say a thousand words, video screams them !

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20243

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.29, 09:20 AM   #14
blakmoose1234

Get the mini-z, xmods have a range of 10 feet and come deformed do to shizzy quality control.
blakmoose1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.12.31, 09:22 AM   #15
Dog boy Dave

I have a bunch of friends who do the x-mod race/demolition derby on their garage floor. I picked up the X-mod Q-35 before Christmas that was marked $25 bucks at the radio shack. (Told the guy the price was wrong and he said no problem it was an unadvertiized special so I got two) . Anyway my point is I also have the Mini AWD and there is NO WAY that I would that jewel down with those guys. The X mod is cheap but when your banging around with other x mods that is what you want. Its much easier to get someone to go down to radio shack and drop $100 bucks on an x-mod than it is to get them to commit to the Mini Z thing. (Here in Tallahassee there doesnt seem to be much interest yet in this scale of racing) I figure that some of these guys will go ahead and spring for the mini Z when they get a chance to race on a real track. (RCP Mini L on-order) So if you are in a smaller town where the RC car thing hasnt taken off yet and you want to "recruit" then the X-mod might be the right way to start. No question though the Mini Z is in a different class and much "better"
Dog boy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote