Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.07.20, 02:24 AM   #1
AaronM

External MOSFET Board - "Spider"

ausmicro.com Launches their own version of an external FET mod.

I think everyone knows by now the best way to get performance from a Mini-Z/iWaver or XMod board is to play with the FETs. I've long been a supporter of Internal FET stacking for most "light duty" use but in recent times have become aware of issues concerning FET stacks on newer Kysho and iWaver boards. It appears that newer boards often cannot control more than 4 FETs per stack, and the drive voltages to these FETs are more variable than on earlier (Typically MR01) boards.

ausmicro.com still believes an internal FET mod up to 3x2 is an excellent solution to 80% of performance desires, but what happens when you want or need more?

The answer is "Spider"

"Spider" is our name for our first generation External FET mod. Measuring just 20mm x 25mm Spider can lurk on your chassis giving you the smooth as stock throttle response with the ability to handle any hot motors. Spider uses high quality FETs from International Rectifier and is available in a number of configurations to suit your racing needs.

http://shop.ausmicro.net/images/amc359.jpg

How many Spiders are there?

ausmicro.com is planning on selling Spider in 5 different forms. You will be able to select a Spider configuration to suit YOU. You can have your Spider with leads (legs?) pre-attached or you can supply your own!

How does Spider Perform?

Spider performs well, typically a Spider has an internal resistance of about 10-15mOhms. That's the same resistance range you'll get from a 5x2 or 6x2 stack of IRF7317 (or SI4562DY) FETs without the risk of poor throttle control and surging! If you're still running IRF7389 FETs you'd need a 9 stack or MORE to get the same performance!

What does Spider Look like?

Spiders full implementation gives you approximately 200mm of leads, consisting of rainbow cable for the control signals, and silicon jacketed PN Racing cables for the battery connections and a PCb mounted screw terminal for your motor connections. (pic Attached Pic)

How is Spider Built?

Spider is built on a commercially prepared 1.6mm thick PCB. The board is fully tinned and will not suffer degradation. The PCB mounted IRF FETs can be bonded to a heatsink on EITHER side of the PCB as the PCB acts as a direct contact heatsink as well!

All FETs are 1st quality commercial sourced units, NOT Hobbyist grade or "Samples". All this means you're getting a unit built to last. Selecting a "Bare-Board" Spider lets you choose your wiring and heatsink options!

"Spider" Can be purchased on eBay or from ausmicro.com through their online Store http://shop.ausmicro.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turbo_v1_full (Small).JPG (29.6 KB, 117 views)
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.07, 08:43 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
How does the Spider compare to ph2t's Nelly?
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.08, 07:13 PM   #3
aeroelasticmz

welcome aaron, i have posted your spider here before asking ppl if anyone tried it.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18914

seems like its still quite new for most of the ppl here, maybe you could post a video of the spider performance, that would help a lot i guess..
aeroelasticmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.08, 08:25 PM   #4
AaronM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroelasticmz
welcome aaron, i have posted your spider here before asking ppl if anyone tried it.

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=18914

seems like its still quite new for most of the ppl here, maybe you could post a video of the spider performance, that would help a lot i guess..
You're right it's very new. I've been running the chipsets in testing for a couple of months with great results. So far I've not had a lot of feedback (good or bad) from the customers that have bought Spider boards, there are quite a few "out there" now.

Videos etc will come, at the moment I'm working on building up some nice "standards" for comparison testign so that I can give fair data out.

A.
Old 2005.08.08, 08:38 PM   #5
AaronM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
How does the Spider compare to ph2t's Nelly?
"Spider" and WhoaNelly do the same thing. They replace the stock FETs on your Rx board with better externally mounted versions.

The "Spider" is typically smaller than WhoaNelly and uses different FETs. Also WhoaNelly models now typically uses MOSFET drivers to further boost performance.

Overall a Spider boosts performance much the same as a WhoaNelly 1.0/1.1 (guesstimate based on ph2ts posts), however due to the FET selection (that also gives us the smaller size) you do need to take more care to avoid overheating.

Both the WoahNelly and the "Spider" are easier to install than a FET stack, and outperform most "sane" sized FET stacks.

In short, while they have the same goal, the methods used are slightly different and depending on your choice of WhoaNelly model the performance will differ.

The WhoaNelly is a great turbo and it's up to you as (potential) customers to choose the Turbo that best suits your needs.

Will there be different Spider models? I'm sure likely the WhoaNelly we will evolve a few different designs. However my key goal is to reduce the size of the "Spider" and this immediately rules out going for high powered LiPo installs where the WhoaNelly really excels. I anticipate a "Spider" that will be barely larger than the Rx Crystal.

A.
Old 2005.08.13, 05:52 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Thank you for your comparison of the Turbos. I will probably pick one up soon. I have a few boards with lifted solder pads that stacking FETs would be VERY difficult. Spider would work great (follow up the trace from the solder pad, and solder to a different location).
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.08.14, 08:21 PM   #7
AaronM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU
Thank you for your comparison of the Turbos. I will probably pick one up soon. I have a few boards with lifted solder pads that stacking FETs would be VERY difficult. Spider would work great (follow up the trace from the solder pad, and solder to a different location).
That's right EMU. I've done this for a couple of very badly burnt out iWaver boards. They're now going to be the two boards I use for my testing rigs. I'll try and post some pics in the next day of so.

A.
Old 2005.08.16, 10:23 AM   #8
fetch-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM
That's right EMU. I've done this for a couple of very badly burnt out iWaver boards. They're now going to be the two boards I use for my testing rigs. I'll try and post some pics in the next day of so.

A.
Hi there Aaron, I have just received one of your spider boards. Thank you for your speedy delivery time ;o)

I'm more used to internal fet upgrades and this is my first turbo, I would love to see a picture of one mounted in a Mini-Z Monster as this is what I've bought it for.

Thank you again Aaron.

p.s. you can count this as good feedback from me so far.... although I still need to test it against my stacked monster!
fetch-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.09.29, 07:52 PM   #9
AaronM

Update:
New instructions available at http://shop.ausmicro.net/download/SpiderInstall_v2.pdf

New instructions cover the different install types better (Kyosho, iWaver and XMODS)

Also Spider boards are now 0.8mm thick reducing the weight and also improving heat dissipation. Heatsinking to the "flat"-side is now more effective than ever.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SpiderInstall_v2.pdf (352.4 KB, 15 views)