Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.06.25, 03:03 AM   #1
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Formula One Season I

Several in Mini-AZ now have F1 cars, which are great fun to drive. So far we simply haven't had time to run them beyond a few laps before packing up the track at the end of the day.

So in the interest of running more than just our sports cars, I'd like to add a Formula One series to the Mini-AZ calender.

This would be achieved by reducing the AZGT in Season IV to only run a single direction in the first half of the day. The second half would be the F1 race. Unfortunately that means only six AZGT races instead of 11, but this way we get to run very different cars and a whole other series to participate in.

Obviously this wouldn't start until we complete the current full schedule of AZGT races for Season III. I'm bringing this up early so everyone has plenty of time for input or to get things ready.

Attached is the Sporting Regulations I've put together. Some of it is the same as the AZGT, but much is different. Of particular significance is the new Caution and Safety Car rules. My hope is this will cut down on pile-on wrecks, and even better, eliminate the visibility blocking hazard of people bounding across the track to rescue cars.

I've also come up with a rule for changing weather. I think it'll add a fun challenge that reflects the real world trials of all-weather F1 racing. I'm going to try and find a programmable solution to randomly generate the weather during the race, rather than predetermined with a timer.

Let me know what you think. Would everyone be interested in doing this?

NOTE: The updated Sporting Regulations are down on Post #6.

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2007.10.16 at 02:04 AM.
Dusty Weasle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 01:47 PM   #2
mini_details

Thumbs down

This sounds great. I'm not sure of the added time for tire changes, but this would surely make for a more interesting race. How would you ensure everyone is using the appropriate set of tires at ay given time?

I haven't made it out to any of the races yet due to distance, but I am really interested in racing my F1. I love my car and really haven't raced my MR-02 in weeks.
I'll try again to make it out this weekend for the races.
I have several F1s and would be willing to part with a few or loan out one if anyone in the group was interested. Just let me know.
mini_details is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.25, 11:07 PM   #3
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

We hope you can make it by sometime. A long drive in this heat is understandably, well, a long hot drive. But the fun in the A/C is worth it. (Actually, the 30th will be evap cooler at DJ's garage, but it keeps the bays remarkably cool).

The F1 tires would be inspected before or after the race to determine the compound. The “Wet” tires must be marked with a white stripe for easy identification (like real F1 does for the soft compound).

The tire changes would only happened during a change to or from a “Rain” condition, which may not occur at all during some races, maybe twice at others. It'll probably take a minute to change them. Drivers are also required to pit for batteries at least once.

Based on the lap times from our usual circuits, I estimate an F1 race will take about 35-45min, so plenty of time for pit stops (This is running 1/2 the real FIA mandated distance, at 1:24 scale).

The 30th is our mid-season AZGT race, two 30min Petit Le Mans (one clockwise and one counterclockwise). Then its a couple weeks of 5-10min Sprints, and capped off by the season finale 1hr Le Mans. Drivers are welcome to join in at any time, there's still plenty of points up for grabs.

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2007.06.25 at 11:13 PM.
Old 2007.07.02, 10:53 AM   #4
YBSLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Weasle
Several in Mini-AZ now have F1 cars, which are great fun to drive. So far we simply haven't had time to run them beyond a few laps before packing up the track at the end of the day.

So in the interest of running more than just our sports cars, I'd like to add a Formula One series to the Mini-AZ calender.

This would be achieved by reducing the AZGT in Season IV to only run a single direction in the first half of the day. The second half would be the F1 race. Unfortunately that means only six AZGT races instead of 11, but this way we get to run very different cars and a whole other series to participate in.

Obviously this wouldn't start until we complete the current full schedule of AZGT races for Season III. I'm bringing this up early so everyone has plenty of time for input or to get things ready.

Attached is the Sporting Regulations I've put together. Some of it is the same as the AZGT, but much is different. Of particular significance is the new Caution and Safety Car rules. My hope is this will cut down on pile-on wrecks, and even better, eliminate the visibility blocking hazard of people bounding across the track to rescue cars.

I've also come up with a rule for changing weather. I think it'll add a fun challenge that reflects the real world trials of all-weather F1 racing. I'm going to try and find a programmable solution to randomly generate the weather during the race, rather than predetermined with a timer.

Let me know what you think. Would everyone be interested in doing this?

Sounds good to me ..........can't wait for some F1 fun.
Protoform Bodies, Hot Race Tyres
Hood's Hobbies & DJ's Porsche Garage
YBSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.07.02, 10:50 PM   #5
herman

coolness... like the rules too... don't forget to post the pics
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.10.16, 02:02 AM   #6
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Here is the finalized version of the Formula One Season I Sporting Regulations. Some changes and some cleanup. I removed the weather rule due to the difficulty of obtaining the necessary tyres. Qualifying now better reflects the real thing.

I also reorganized the manual into sort of two parts. The first part is the specific regs for this series. The second part is the “General Regulations”. These are the regs which are common to all our series and are listed in each of the manuals.

Some of the first part is common to the three series as well, but there are differences so they needed to be in the series specific stuff.

Again, its written to be thorough so the Race Director (be it me or someone at a club elsewhere) doesn't have to make up a rule on-the-fly during a race.

The first non-points test-running of the F1 series will be at DJ's on November 24th, with the series starting in January.

(Outdated PDF removed. Get the latest version farther down this thread)

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2007.11.29 at 04:19 AM.
Old 2007.11.29, 04:18 AM   #7
Dusty Weasle
Here kitty, kitty, kitty

Updated version of the regulations. This is Ver 1.1.

(Adjustments and battery changes may be done anytime during a race by pitting)

Formula 1
--- Eliminated Safety Car
Qualifying
--- Knockout Qualifying in three 10 lap sessions based on best single lap
--- No battery or setup changes after Qualifying
Race
--- Grid by Qualifying
--- Race distance laps >= 20,847ft, but no more than 1hr duration (˝ real F1 race at 1:24 scale).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Formula1_Season01_Rules07.pdf (105.0 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Dusty Weasle; 2007.11.29 at 04:20 AM.