Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.06.04, 04:57 AM   #1
Aurora

ICS setting definition and setting for AWD with hot motor?

Hi, all.

I did some searches on this topic but doesn't seem too many relevant results shown up.

As many of you might know, the manual doesn't seem to explain how each of those settings very well. And here are my understanding of what it said--let me know what you guys think or know from experience:

GAIN
Steering related, it sets how much force is applied to make the wheels turn. Higher number makes the wheels turn harder.

SPEED
Steering related, it sets how fast does the steering motor response. Higher number make the steering wheels more responsive and 'sensitive'.

PUNCH
Steering related, Similar to punch in throttle, higher setting will make the front steering wheels go directly from center to a steeper angle(determine how much skipping is done to the initial turning process)

DEAD BAND
Steering related, it sets the resolution of the steering motor/servo. Smaller number will allow more finer turning, and higher number might help to eliminate very minor steering jitter.

DUMP
Steering related, it sets the dampening(or apply braking force to the steering motor/servo) either when the wheels approach the center OR when the wheels are at center.

DRIVE FREQ
Throttle related, Higher the drive Freq, the motor will have less torque. Lower number will create more torque to the motor.

LIMIT
Steering related, it sets the max travel of your steering motor/servo

I have no real idea what 'DUMP' actually means, and I am guess it means either the servo is slower to return to center or slower to start turning from the center(?). What ya all think?

I have changed the SPEED from the 2 (stock setting) to 3, and do feel the turning of the wheels becomes finer and more 'sensitive' for both my AWD.

On the AWD with Atomic Chilli, the DRIVE FREQ is set at high to make the motor more manageable in a small/mid narrow course. While the Xeric is just quite perfect as is, for the mid (stock) drive freq.

I wonder what will be a good change to make the AWD more suitable for running hot motor? And what do you guys change for your car?

Edit: re-write what I think GAIN should be.

Last edited by Aurora; 2007.06.04 at 02:36 PM.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.09, 05:45 PM   #2
Aurora

It's been a week, anyone?
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.08.11, 08:13 AM   #3
Felix2010

Thank you Aurora for your AD-Band write-up, it has helped me understand a little bit better just what the I.C.S. can do for the AD upgrade. I've had an AD-MA010 since April that has four Si4562 FETs put in to replace the four 3010 FETs (FET Soldering/AD technical assembly courtesy of Flashsp-2 - I wanted a "Pro-Quality" job); And I recently put a stock-3010-FET'ed AD PCB into an MR-02. The main reason I upgraded both of them was to go FM, but recently I started playing with the I.C.S. programming. The settings I have tried adjusting are the SPEED and the DRIVE FREQ to see what kind of steering response I have with a more sensitive (higher) setting. The DRIVE FREQ I had high hopes for, maybe that it would affect speed better and not just torque - I can't say I have seen a huge difference when running the STOCK-R with the AD-MR02. About your question regarding what settings to have when running a hot motor Aurora, I'm not sure if there are enough Speed-Control adjustments via I.C.S. to really impact the motor performance since the only real Throttle/Motor adjustment is DRIVE FREQ. All of the other I.C.S. adjustments are steering related, correct?
I haven't really given the AD MA-010 with its 4562's a good I.C.S. testin' just yet, its one more thing on my to-do list.
BTW Aurora, you mentioned you using a CHILI and a XERIC with your AD-MA010. Are you running the stock-AD PCB 4x1 (2x2) HAT3010 FET Setup? I wanted to run some hot motors on my AD-MA010 so that's why I swapped out the 3010's for 4562s. I'm curious to see what FETs you're running.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote