Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.01.18, 03:04 PM   #1
soulstice

Kyosho's Lap Timing System?

Was wondering if anyone had information on Kyosho's lap timing system. I think I remember hearing that it would be a modification of Core's system but that was ages ago.

Is the system the same as the one used with the Dnano?

Anyone know of any release dates.
Old 2009.01.18, 03:22 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i would not trust any date kyosho gave us at this point.

i would certainly think you would not hear anything domestically until the usa exlcusive distribution system is setup and working.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.18, 04:00 PM   #3
briankstan

with the Dnano Racing series that will be at hobbytown USA they will have to release the timing system before they start the series, or they are planning on only supplying them to those locations that will be hosting the racing. if that is the case that will be a real shame.
Old 2009.01.18, 06:03 PM   #4
arch2b

yep, there are just too many unknowns regarding anything dnano and domestic policy.
Old 2009.01.21, 01:07 PM   #5
dxm2

The system is listed here on Kyosho's site:
http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/r...s2=&sx=&page=3

And I was able to down load the manual from a Japanese hobby store site. THe link below is for the store, go to the dNano section, last item.

http://translate.google.com/translat...004-30,GGLD:en

The manual mentions that the lap counter cannot count two cars if they run over the sensor at the same time. Was this true of the CORE systems as well?

I'm trying to decide on a lapcounter/timing system now and the use of IC tags is very attractive from a cost perspective.

Last edited by dxm2; 2009.01.21 at 01:15 PM. Reason: new info.
dxm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.21, 02:10 PM   #6
byebye

$455!!!????????

I paid around that for my core but if it's not compatible with core than it may not be worth it.

And I never had a countin issue with core and more than one tag crossing the sensor.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.24, 12:23 PM   #7
Action B
The Galliant Dude

Whats the point of a lapcounter that cant count two cars at once? Sure that isnt a misinterpretation?

Concerned about sending off your precious Mini-Z? Don't be!
Action B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.24, 08:29 PM   #8
arch2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action B View Post
Whats the point of a lapcounter that cant count two cars at once? Sure that isnt a misinterpretation?
none in my opinion.
Old 2009.01.24, 10:33 PM   #9
pinwc4

This is a flaw in the Core system as well. If two cars were in the antenna loop (both entering and exiting the antenna field) for exactly the same times then it would not pick up the lap of either car. But because the antenna loop strength is not 100% uniform, the RFID's are located slightly differently on each car, the RFID's strenght is different on each car plus the it is highly unlikely for the cars to be exactly in sync I have not seen a lap be missed because of this. But in theory it is possible.

In the RFID world this is called a collision. If two tags are in the field at the same time you have to have collision detection. There are two ways to take care of the problem, one is to use additional time slots but this is too slow, you can only read laps at something like .3 seconds. The other is to tell a tag to be quiet immediately upon entering the field. The tag gets detected but will not talk again until it leaves and reenters the field. But this method while fast does leave us with the possible scenario mentioned above.

At least I am assuming that is what they are reffering to...
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.26, 11:46 AM   #10
dxm2

Hi PinWc4,
Did you get your second Lap counter system working? I've been thinking of assembling something similiar but would like to know if you were successful. Also, in terms of the collision scenario, have you seen this happen on either the CORE system you have or the home built system?

Also, for anyone interested, here's the manual for the Kyosho system:

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in..._Manual_EN.pdf

Thanks

Last edited by dxm2; 2009.01.26 at 01:44 PM.
dxm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.27, 07:36 PM   #11
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxm2 View Post
Hi PinWc4,
Did you get your second Lap counter system working? I've been thinking of assembling something similiar but would like to know if you were successful. Also, in terms of the collision scenario, have you seen this happen on either the CORE system you have or the home built system?

Also, for anyone interested, here's the manual for the Kyosho system:

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/in..._Manual_EN.pdf

Thanks
I have not seen it miss a lap because of a collision. I am sure it can happen it is just extremely unlikely.

As for my own system I will update the other thread, do not want to clutter up this one with unrelated discussion.
Old 2009.01.28, 01:50 AM   #12
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
So when racing, get a 2nd driver to drive into the counter field while your opponent is crossing... and have him leave when your crossing .

I think they should put a device in the car that counts, it could be a simple light sensor over a white line.... then use this tag technology to talk back to the computer to get the score etc off the car. Obviously the line and sensor would have to be a little better then just a on/off sensor.. cuz some one woudl take the car to the pit and flip a bunch of lines past it lol... or just do both, so they have rundandant backup.
Old 2009.01.28, 06:13 PM   #13
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
So when racing, get a 2nd driver to drive into the counter field while your opponent is crossing... and have him leave when your crossing .
You can check this collision problem yourself by taping two tags lined up together to a board or something stiff and passing it across the loop. When a race is running it will not detect them. I just tested this and it happens with the Core system and my system and I imagine that is what Kyosho is referring to for their dNano system.

But when I taped two cars to a board I had a much harder time getting it to miss laps especially as I spaced them apart (width wise not front/behind).

Last edited by pinwc4; 2009.01.28 at 06:19 PM.
Old 2009.02.23, 08:46 PM   #14
CoreAnalog

The original Core system does handle multiple cars across the line at the same time through some collision algorithms. However, on some PC's the USB/serial response can be slow so it limits our abilities.

Here are some pics of the Kyosho system based on our technology. I am not sure when they will be available in the USA. But, they are selling in Japan...

--Core
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dnano_counter.jpg (317.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg detector.jpg (165.7 KB, 81 views)
CoreAnalog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.02.28, 03:02 PM   #15
bobbyz

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/products/rc/newparts.html

Above is a link to what looks like the part to attach an IC tag to the Mini Z line of cars for use with the Kyosho/Core system. Scroll down to part MZW113. It only shows up on the Japanese site, so it's probably only a Japan only release for now.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote