Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2018.11.25, 08:50 AM   #46
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Modified Class race results

Modified Class race results and video
A Main
B Main
C Main

Last edited by arch2b; 2018.11.26 at 09:17 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.25, 10:54 AM   #47
Qball41

Looks like it was a good event. 3 strong classes and 16 entries for stock if I counted correctly!

Hope it was fun for all.

Can you post a pic of the track?
Qball41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.25, 11:03 AM   #48
arch2b

There is a picture in post #3.
Old 2018.11.25, 11:57 AM   #49
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
What a blast... I'm still not home, had to take a pit sp at tommy's since we just missed the last train to NYC.

I learned a few good lessons. The first is not to be so stubborn with my tire setup. I kept trying to get the kyosho tires to work, and it wasn't. At least not in the rear. Once I put down the mod car with PN super soft in the rear, I realized that it wasn't just low traction from the new surface, it was just use of the wrong tire.

I should have experimented earlier, since I was spinning wheels a little in stock, and HFAY was a huge struggle for me.

I had a great time, and got to know people more. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 2018.11.25, 03:07 PM   #50
Mike Keely

Great racing yesterday guys. Great competition with so many racers in the house.

The traction really came up and I was not ready for it at all with my HFAY car. With the traction we had I should have ran my Mod. car.

I found the issue with my Box Stock car. It was the motor. I installed a new motor and ran the car for about 15 minutes strait after the races were over.

Thank you all that came out
Old 2018.11.25, 03:49 PM   #51
arch2b

Glad to learn was just the motor.

I already ordered a replacement board for my HFAY car. After replacing the servo motor that went bad (I'll return your Mike), the board was just serverly under powered. I tried another motor and same problem so just going to replace the whole board. I should have it all back together by next race day.
Old 2018.11.25, 07:19 PM   #52
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
There is a picture in post #3.
Thanks for pointing that out. Nice flowing track.

Interesting to hear about the tires. We have guys using a variety of tires. Kyosho 20 rears and PN 8 rears are the common back tires, while both kyosho and PN 20s are common up front. But we are still learning from experimentation and what we read from you all here.
Qball41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.11.25, 07:34 PM   #53
Mike Keely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball41 View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. Nice flowing track.

Interesting to hear about the tires. We have guys using a variety of tires. Kyosho 20 rears and PN 8 rears are the common back tires, while both kyosho and PN 20s are common up front. But we are still learning from experimentation and what we read from you all here.
Where are you all running? I take it that you are running on RCP? There are much better tires then what you are running. If you want some more info on the newer tires send me a PM.
Old 2018.11.25, 07:45 PM   #54
Mike Keely

Wanted to give a big shout out to Ray for running the races yesterday.

My recommendation is to try and keep it to three classes in a race day. Breaking it up into more heats per round (less cars in each race) is worth it.
Old 2018.11.25, 07:56 PM   #55
Qball41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keely View Post
Where are you all running? I take it that you are running on RCP? There are much better tires then what you are running. If you want some more info on the newer tires send me a PM.
We are a new group racing in Central Florida. We just got organized about a month ago. Currently he have 9 racers and get up to about 14 entries a night.

We run on Wednesday nights, 2 heats and a main. Track is RCP (smooth side)and we race on HFAY layouts - changing to a different one each week.

PM sent about tires.
Old 2018.11.25, 10:53 PM   #56
tommy_greeneyes

I really had an awesome time. Thank you Gary for putting on awesome show. But also thank were you Ray for running the computer. Got to say Mike running with you is a pleasure. Your one fast competitor. I just got very lucky and been at the right place at the right time in order to win the races. I've never worried about fast lap time. As long as my car handles at a good pace I can always race my car a little harder.

Wish I got to see 90mm class. I wouldn't mind not seeing modified class.

I have so much fun I would definitely come back. Make sure I don't eat the chicken from down the street again. Lol.The farts did stink. Sorry Gary lmfao
Old 2018.11.25, 11:17 PM   #57
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I agree with Mike about fewer classes, but so glad we squeezed in the unofficial 90mm race. we found that running more than 3 just took too much time.

Regarding tires, they can be very specific to the surface that they are on, and what tires have been loading rubber into the surface. My experience has been that on new RCP, the PN tires in general have the highest grip, but had sharper fall off. In the past, the PN tires were inconsistent, and I had stocked up on kyosho tires and PN tires. Then didn't race for about 5 years. Coming back in, only the kyosho rubber was still good, so that is what I have been using. The newer tires seem much more consistent than they were in the past.

Tracks that have kyosho or had silicone rubber laid into them, tended to work better with the kyosho tires than the PN, and most surfaces we were racing on was old, and had probably had silicone based tires on them at some point, and the kyosho rubber proved to be more consistent and equal in pace as the PN.

The PN tires were definitely the tire too be on this race. The difference between kyosho and PN Rubber was enormous. To put it simply, PN rubber would probably cost .2-3s in stock, .5s in HFAY, and over a second in pace for mod. Before I went to PN rubber, my mod car was running the same pace as stock, but far less consistent.

I don't think that I have ever tried kyosho 20d front tires in rcp before. It was definitely a risk, but the PN front medium rubber was way too much traction, and didn't have any firms at hand. I pulled the 20d semi wide tires off the skinny rear wheels (narrow wheels) and threw them up front on the GL-R. Im glad that I had a set that was scrubbed in, otherwise it might have been too much front grip.

The competition was really close, especially in stock and hfay. The lap times going down to the C main were under. 3s delta from the A. It is rare to have that tight if a fight, and you need to really stay on top of your game.
Old 2018.11.26, 11:43 AM   #58
arch2b

I didn’t pick the classes, I just ran them . Just tell me what were running and I’ll take care of it .
I don’t disagree though, 3 is more than enough, 4 is OK with small classes like 86-90mm or Truck class that can be squeezed in for a middle break.
I agree with limiting qualifiers to 5, 6 at most. Modified was a bit too much at 6-7.
I would prefer to break up the pacing as well. Start Stock or HFAY, fo to something different then back to HFAY or Modified followed by another break. You don’t get a good appreaciation in difference when running Stock right before HFAY, nor HFAY then Modified.
I would also like to see more variation in the format/durations vs. repeated 2 round 5 min quals and 8 min mains. If held to 3 classes, 10-15 min mains are easy and can even add variation to quals such as the PN Q1, reverse Q2 and resort Q3 to the mix with our other standard F1 style qual. Now that I figured much of it out, there are plenty of things to try to make each class more distinguished from the rest. Just need to show others how to navigate the maze.

Good to know that 4 classes is achievable in a 6 hour span, which is a reasonable length of time for an event. We did wrap up just about on time despite getting a 20-30 minute late start. I would selfishly like to make more time to hang out which is always a big part of the fun of these events.

Competition was indeed tuff, which is awesome! The differentials were very low all day.
Old 2018.11.26, 11:45 AM   #59
arch2b

FYI, video links are being added to the results posts as they are uploaded. I’ll have Modified done tonight hopefully. Be sure to go back and check them out, share, etc. and enjoy
Old 2018.11.26, 07:20 PM   #60
Mike Keely

Thanks Ray