Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.12.17, 10:15 AM   #1
Solo1
Old nut

Brushless vs brushed

Does anyone else think it is easier to drive a brushless car faster than a brushed car or is it just me? Also is the 5500 pn brushless motor considered to be a stock class motor? Has anyone compared the pn i believe its 9500 kv to the kyosho 8500? Im really likeing the ve pro chassie and i think i would like to go all brushless if i can, but it seams it will be a bit pricy dint get why the brushless motors are so much more than brushed.
Solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.17, 11:17 AM   #2
DMALMAD

Brushed has always been faster and will always be faster until a sensored system comes out. Lap times are close but consitency of brushed is waaay better. Also much easier to drive in a train or door to door or with traffic.

DMR MPC 1/27th Aftermarket Pan Chassis
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.17, 01:25 PM   #3
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
what makes a stock class motor varies widely in opinion. generally, no, any 5000KV+ is not really considered stock and more on par with 70t motor. PN and atomic are both reportedly working on a stock class brushless motor and many are intently waiting for this to happen, reported to be about 3500kv.

HFAY has been testing brushless vs. brushed for a year just about and so far, brushed motors still take the top rankings. 0kv-6000kv/80-70t brushed specifically.

i can't find rational argument for $40-50 brushless motor either it's a serious hindrance to the growth of brushless. your buying into the learning curve at the moment for brushless mini-z. sucks, but just the learning curve for aftermarket scaling it down to mini-z scale.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.17, 02:34 PM   #4
DMALMAD

yeah not to sound to redundant but I could be faster with probably even an 80t than a 5000kv over a 6min race. Some people feel the need to go faster and make the mistake of assuming more motor and more speed will make you faster. I see b and c main drivers all the time drive with much more speed than me in a truly open class and yet I will always be faster than them because with a lipo and a 50t with highpoint turned down I will be much more consistent to my line and will be able to run a tighter line.

If you think you need more speed the general rule is to go to the next fastest motor and if you don't at least have another lap or so after a 5 min qualifier than you shouldn't go up and instead keep using what you have in the class you are running. For example, generally the 50t spec lipo class at my local track was only a lap slower than the open mode despite the open mod hot laps being .3-.5s faster.

So i guess the point of all this is get very comfortable with the speed you can handle and only go faster gradually and stay with a power band that you can be smooth and have a lot of control. Brushless can get similar hotlaps but it is not at that point where you can drive the same line 20 laps in a row in a mod class like we can with brushed motors.

Old 2015.12.17, 02:52 PM   #5
Solo1
Old nut

Well im still learning as much as possible about these cars but on my track ive been able to run the fastest lap and be consistantly faster with the vepro over a pn70t in an s with v4 rear and double a arm front or with a 50 t in the same car( i really think i have a dumb left triger finger as it seems my biggest problem is tire spin with the brushed which seems to be less with the brushless +the car doesnt slow as much if i let off too much.
Solo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.17, 02:59 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
you can adjust drag with brushless, where with brushed it's more built in with the motor.

to echo dmalmad, hot lap doesn't mean much in the end, it's how many you can string together that really counts.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.12.17, 03:25 PM   #7
DMALMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo1 View Post
Well im still learning as much as possible about these cars but on my track ive been able to run the fastest lap and be consistantly faster with the vepro over a pn70t in an s with v4 rear and double a arm front or with a 50 t in the same car( i really think i have a dumb left triger finger as it seems my biggest problem is tire spin with the brushed which seems to be less with the brushless +the car doesnt slow as much if i let off too much.
This sounds much more like a setup issue than a power issue, just having the upgrades on the car doesn't make it automatically handle well. Double A-Arm is the fastest front end but if you don't spend the time setting the proper preload, ride height, droop, camber, and caster, and spring choice for the conditions than it starts to get tricky and becomes a headache. I would ask the fast guy (Al or Larry in your case I think if your racing at Hobby Hut with them) at your track to take a look at it and try the brushed car again. Also the sport model uses lower quality radio (kt-19) so not programming th curve and st curve will also add to some of the issues.

I would also look at tires because if you are running KS you should have 0 wheel spin. When pn6 start getting worn they are garbage and when the KS loose their tread they are done too but they also become faster yet harder to control halfway through the tread life. And if all else fails you could also slap some Marka's on the rear because then your rear will be stuck to the track.

Old 2015.12.17, 07:24 PM   #8
byebye

Stock brushless Mini-z vs. a stock brushed mini-z? The brushless will always be faster. There is just more torque and you reach the top end faster with a brushless car.

In the end the motor is only one factor in the setup.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote