Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.10.28, 12:44 AM   #1
Mouse

Send a message via ICQ to Mouse Send a message via MSN to Mouse Send a message via Yahoo to Mouse
wheel offset?

How do I tell what the offset is on wheels?
I bought a Skyline body and it came on a basic chasis with a decent looking set of white wheels that I wouldnt mind using though they look like they may stick out some on the McLaren I have.. im a newb so no laughter please.. Thanks.. Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.28, 01:04 AM   #2
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
A zero offset is if you can put a straght edge across the back of the wheel. That is it's flat on the back, The rim and the hub is on the same plane.

Most offsets the hub will stick out from the back and is usualy measured in millimeters, 1mm 2.5mm and so on.

There are some wheels that are a negitive offset the hub sets in on the back.

We really need those listed with the bodies for these things.

I'm guessing your skyline is a Calsonic or other JGTC type wide bodied car.
Old 2004.10.28, 01:10 AM   #3
Mouse

Send a message via ICQ to Mouse Send a message via MSN to Mouse Send a message via Yahoo to Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
A zero offset is if you can put a straght edge across the back of the wheel. That is it's flat on the back, The rim and the hub is on the same plane.

Most offsets the hub will stick out from the back and is usualy measured in millimeters, 1mm 2.5mm and so on.

There are some wheels that are a negitive offset the hub sets in on the back.

We really need those listed with the bodies for these things.

I'm guessing your skyline is a Calsonic or other JGTC type wide bodied car.
Yes a blue Calsonic..

http://secure.xprowler.com/gallery/Mini-Z/Picture_002
bought it on eBay a week or so ago..
the nut holding the wheel on seems to be fairly deeply set in on it so I would guess that it is a negative.. Mouse
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.28, 01:24 AM   #4
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

No, the offset is measured from the back of the wheel. Those wide cars use offset wheels to fill out the body. Yes, those nuts are buried on those things.
Old 2004.10.28, 02:53 AM   #5
xemet

Send a message via MSN to xemet
take a look at the picture attached ("largh." is for italian "larghezza"="width").

And here is a website with all original offsets for all original rims.

http://www.mr02.com/miniz-stuff/mr01rims.htm

where "N" is normal without offset, "SW" semiwide, "W" wide
bye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg offset.jpg (4.8 KB, 50 views)

visit us!
Mini-RC Magazine

www.m24-pro.com

Last edited by xemet; 2004.10.28 at 03:11 AM.
xemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.28, 03:27 AM   #6
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
There are some errors on that page, guess I will hae to get off my lazy arse and finaly finish that rim database lol... but THERE ARE SO MANY LOL>>>>>

one error I see right off the bat is the PT cruiser rims have an offset, on all 4 rims.. even though they are normal rims, of about 1 to 1.5mm or so...
Old 2004.10.28, 04:38 AM   #7
xemet

Send a message via MSN to xemet
well!
better have a page with errors that have none...

Personally I've used this page and for my cars was ok. F40, CLK and NSX are right. I don't know a person who have bought the PT cruiser...so no problem if there is an error

bye

visit us!
Mini-RC Magazine

www.m24-pro.com
xemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.28, 09:51 AM   #8
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
I have a car that has a negative offset rear wide wheels and a really large front offset to the positive... it's so confusing... I wanted to find another set of wheels for it with the negative offset rear wheels but have a slightly smaller positive offset in the front, that is going to be impossible unless someone comes out with those adjustable offset wheels...
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.10.28, 11:14 AM   #9
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

I think the negative offsets are for the rear only, and it is limited. On the MR02 or any other app that uses the MR02 diff you can get away with about 1mm negative offset before you are into the spur gear. The MR01 diff you may have a bit more room. Those are to allow a wide rear tire on a narrow body.
Old 2004.10.28, 12:36 PM   #10
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Do you think that they may be a MR-01 wheel set that has a negative offset in the rear and a normal or slightly larger (if there isn't 0) offset in the front?
Old 2004.10.28, 02:20 PM   #11
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty-Se7en
I have a car that has a negative offset rear wide wheels and a really large front offset to the positive... it's so confusing...
What body will those work on? Yes, the negative offset wheels I believe are for the MR01's. I have an old megatech wheelset that is that way, the rears are set in a bit and the front is slightly out by about a half mm. There are suppose to be some Kyosho wheels floating around that is that way, The Skyline R32 with the race graphics is one that I heard about.
Old 2004.10.28, 03:42 PM   #12
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Yeah the Taisan R32 is the body that I love the wheels from... they are sweet wheels but I want alloys... I've found that they are almost perfect for the New Beetle (mini power body) but the front wheels are about .5 of a mm too far out, they hit the wheel wells... and I wanted less of an offset in the front only.
Old 2004.10.29, 12:38 AM   #13
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

I thinking of the monster wheels about the negitive offset issue, just look at the Monster wheels. All four of those are set over the end of the axles, In fact the knuckles are set into the front wheels. I have seen a number of threads that asked "Will Monster wheels work on the Overland?" of course the answer is no because the monster wheels would be up onto the shocks and the front wheels have no room to turn.

I nominate this thread for the FAQ section.
Old 2004.10.29, 12:08 PM   #14
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
I thinking of the monster wheels about the negitive offset issue, just look at the Monster wheels. All four of those are set over the end of the axles, In fact the knuckles are set into the front wheels. I have seen a number of threads that asked "Will Monster wheels work on the Overland?" of course the answer is no because the monster wheels would be up onto the shocks and the front wheels have no room to turn.

I nominate this thread for the FAQ section.
Although this is a good candidate for the FAQ section I think that maybe it is a little soon... I seem to recall reading that MZR was working on something in the new version of the site that would make discovering wheel offsets easy... maybe Mini-Z could shed a little light on that for us, tell us how that is going.
Old 2004.10.29, 12:24 PM   #15
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

While this will not replace what Mini Z is working on it still covers the basics. Also gives something to handle most newbe questions, "Will this wheel fit that setup?" and other basic questions that I've seen. Not just here, but over on Tiny RC as well. Be something to link to and say look as this. Yes, it may be too soon for that, may need to add more to this. Like pictures showing the offsets, and maybe more applications like the F1's. Also some cross compatablity for the different types of Z's