Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.06.05, 12:13 PM   #1
soulstice

Wheel Offset Calculator

In another post rharris stated that to do quick calculations:

The rear is the same on the MR02, AWD, and MR15

The front is the same on the MR15 and AWD

The front of the MR02 is 2.5 wider then the MR15 and AWD.

Is this true? I've looked at some body compatibility charts and it seems this is not always the case. Is this due to the charts having typos or because the formula above is not accurate?
Old 2007.06.05, 07:57 PM   #2
homestar21
is sleepy.

Send a message via AIM to homestar21 Send a message via Yahoo to homestar21
Is this true? If it was, I could stop posting annoying questions! I hope it's true, but some cars are probably different.
homestar21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.05, 08:54 PM   #3
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice
In another post rharris stated that to do quick calculations:

The rear is the same on the MR02, AWD, and MR15

The front is the same on the MR15 and AWD

The front of the MR02 is 2.5 wider then the MR15 and AWD.

Is this true? I've looked at some body compatibility charts and it seems this is not always the case. Is this due to the charts having typos or because the formula above is not accurate?
sounds right to me
Old 2007.06.05, 11:44 PM   #4
color01

And it seems that every body except the Ferarris can accept at least a 1.5mm wider offset at all corners (compared to the standard offset) without the wheels sticking out of the fenders. I notice my '03 NSX can take 1.5N/2.5W with ease (standard is 0N/0W), the AE86 can do 0N/0W on an MR02 (standard is 0N/0N on MR015) and the M3 GTR can do 1.5N/2W (standard is 0N/0W). Does Kyosho recommend more conservative offsets mainly to reduce wheel-related damage?

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 12:11 AM   #5
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
Facts about mini-z chassis widths

I got this from Ben's site, but you can look it up in the MA010, MR015 and MR02 manuals. It's good stuff to know.

Quote:
Mounting points for MR015, MR020 and MA010 are all the same and interchangable. However:

MR010 and MR015 chassis width is 48mm wide both front end and rear end. Width defined as width of the wheel mounting surface. For total vehicle width, add width of wheel, 8.5mm for normal, and 11mm for wide to the chassis width. MR020 chassis on the other hand is 5mm wider in front (53mm), and have same width (48mm) as MR010/MR015 in the rear. Therefore, when using a MR015 body on a MR020 chassis, decrease each front wheel offset by 2.5mm. Rear wheel offset stays the same.

In reading the charts, for a MR015 chassis, if you have 2.5N/0W offsets (normal width wheel with 2.5mm offset front and wide wheel with 0mm offset in rear), then front and rear have same vehicle width. For the MR015, the front 2.5mm offset compensates for the narrower front rim, so front and rear wheels line up. Having 0N/0N (0mm offset on both ends with normal width wheels on both ends) will allow front and rear wheels to line up. For an MR020 chassis, if front and back offsets are 0N/0N, then front wheels will actually be 5mm wider than rear, because MR020 chassis are wider in the front. You need 0N/2.5N for the front and rear to have the same width. For typical racing configuration with narrow and wide tires combination, 0N/0W on MR020 will give same vehicle width front and rear; because the wider chassis in front compensate for the narrower tires in the front.
Ben's site is

http://mini-z.home.att.net/bodies.htm

Come Race with us!!! Club Pics
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 12:36 AM   #6
benmlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01
Does Kyosho recommend more conservative offsets mainly to reduce wheel-related damage?
When the front wheel hits the side rails, it put a lot of stress on the steering components even with servo saver. Over time, there will be more slop. The stress also tends to pull the front wheel off the rim. Is better for the body to take the hit. Kyosho bodies are pretty good at protecting the wheels. The Iwaiver body is horrible at it. Tires comes off quickly.
benmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.06.06, 01:04 AM   #7
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Some time back I bought the Atomic dish wheels in every offset. The only drawback is you will need a different set for the MA 010 chassis. The best part is these help out alot when you are trying out different bodies, and see how wide an offset you can get away with. I got the white ones as that helps to see how much clearance to the body I have. These are cheap enough to get one pack in every offset. I have seen too many little things get in the way to set a standard for offsets, these help to make sure the tires and wheels clear the body.

Some bodies, like the GT 40 for example. The beltline covers the wheels well, but under that beltline the body slopes in exposing the tire. It is one of those bodies that the tires peel off on RCP rails. The Lancia Stratos is another good example of that.