Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.01.03, 05:46 PM   #46
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I dont think they have one yet, but I am sure that you could cut a thin brace to go on top of the current retention plate and keep it from tweaking. Whatever you come up with, please post pics. If I get time, and find decent materials, I will do the same.

I only had issues with the plate coming loose with the plastic pieces that were threaded with a screw to hold it down. They tended to dislodge, which is why the later revision (the one you have), were made in alloy.
Old 2010.01.03, 05:59 PM   #47
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

if you look at my pics again you will see how much that top plate is flexed... its gotta be doing something to the chassis which may be hurting the steering...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.03, 06:44 PM   #48
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

just ordered som carbonfiber... will trace it and cut it out and see how it works... if good i will bring the original piece to amachine shop by my office and have them do it up real nice...

i think if the top plate is more sturdey then i wont have to crank down on it so hard and should take pressure off the chassis

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)

Last edited by JuniorWKR; 2010.01.03 at 06:50 PM.
Old 2010.01.04, 02:23 AM   #49
color01

Is that a piece of foam in between the electronics plate and the battery pack? I really don't think that's necessary, it should allow you to not crank the latches down so far. Although you do need a little bit of tension to get the battery to stay during a hard head-on collision, I've found that you don't REALLY need to crank it down that much, just a little bend is enough.

With a stiffer plate you could skirt the issue completely though, I honestly never tried it because I didn't want to mount the electronics on carbon fiber, and thicker fiberglass gets heavy. Let us know how it goes.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.01.04, 09:37 AM   #50
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

i was also thinking of maybe glueing some stops to each side of the battery tray to keep the batteries from moving foward or backwards during a collision... this might be a better route to keeping things lite... and then i should be able to take alot of pressure off the top plate...

Old 2010.01.04, 11:32 AM   #51
color01

A small chunk of scrap plastic will do the trick, if you'd like to try that before cutting your own plate. Heck, we should've thought of this before.

Greyscale RC

Old 2010.01.04, 11:42 AM   #52
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

i definitly wanna try something with the least amount of weight... or we are just losing the advantage of the chassis then...

my other question is with the new mr03 boards is there a digital servo out there that will fit like the futaba?... this may help clean up the sterring if the speed and the signal is stronger... especially with the new ko module coming out thats is supposed to send a cleaner stronger faster signal to the cars...

Old 2010.01.04, 06:06 PM   #53
color01

I would think that putting the 03 board into your MRCG1.1 as is would help out, because that board is designed for the higher gear ratio and smaller, faster motor of the 03 servo -- hm, that sounds exactly like what the Futaba S3114 is.

If the 03 board really is better for adapting these servos, however, it may be time to find a servo designed for more abuse -- maybe the JR SM22. I haven't found an extra 03 board to play with, so maybe I'll end up killing my MR03 to fit the electronics and servo into the MRCG1.1. That would be the optimal combination, but I can't bring myself to cut up the MR03 just yet...

Greyscale RC

Old 2010.01.05, 10:31 AM   #54
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

i have the futaba servo in there now but it just seems a little slow and unresponsive at times... maybe the 03 board will clean it up alittle but i think if we can find a smaller stronger digital servo to go with it maybe it would be better... maybe a heli tail servo for something like the align 250 might work... my LHS sells the 03 boards and helicopter stuff so i will look into it.. i really want to get this chassis working cause i think it can be more than competitve if all the kinks are worked out... even against the 03... and i own 3 of them...

i must say that there is a huge difference in this chassis between 94mm and 98mm... at 94mm it just feels way more balanced then at 98mm... im gonna stick with 94mm while trying to get this thing dialed...

Old 2010.01.26, 10:54 AM   #55
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

any luck yet with the 03 board and servo yet?... i have not been successful with a small digital servo and 03 board as of lately... i believe that my car is dialed ootside of the sterring issue and would like to get it resolved quickly so that i can start racing it..

Old 2010.01.26, 05:13 PM   #56
color01

I have the plans but not the method to produce it yet -- basically, the 03 servo needs to be turned around, needs a casing, and I need a new custom tierod, so I will need to get parts molded rather than machined. This'll take some time for sure, so in the meantime, if you've got a modular electronics setup to use, it'll tide you over until I get the parts produced.

What ICS settings have you tried on the 03 board + digital servo? The 03 board is engineered to work with smaller, faster servo motors and higher gear ratios, so in theory it should be more appropriate than the 02 board for this application; I haven't tried anything there yet, so I'm curious.

Greyscale RC

Old 2011.09.13, 04:44 PM   #57
josyskunk

Proud owner of MRCG 1.1

Hi color01,

I bought my first MRCG 1.1 about 6 months ago and never have time to actually build it. Finally, I have some time off last months and built it, what a amazing chassis, the rear is so planted yet there are tons of steering. I love this chassis so much that I order 2 more chassis as spare parts right a way. You did a amazing job with this chassis and I wonder if you are working on future update. Also, I like order the steering linkage conversion but I can't find it anywhere Do you think you can help ???
josyskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.13, 04:59 PM   #58
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Brian doesnt have any updates slated.

The servo linkage conversion wad a pretty easy custom build...i think there might be a DIY tutorial around.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.09.13, 05:29 PM   #59
color01

I actually might be able to help a little. I'm at home for a few more days, so after I take my exams I can sit down with the CNC mill and machine an adapter for you. On the other hand, I no longer have any Atomic RM DPSII shocks to hand out, so you will have to build your own "linkage" from the adapter to the servo horn. We had a little experimentation going on in this thread here:

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32002

Unfortunately, I'm too busy with school to be actively developing updates for the MRCG, but I'll always provide support for you guys as best as I can. I am waiting right now for the Mini-Z Buggy's servo to show up in person. If it's the right shape to fit in the chassis, you can bet that I'll be cranking up development again. As you've found, the chassis itself is quite potent but it's limited by the steering mechanisms available on the market. So imagine your MRCG with an MR03 front end and a "more modern" rear end and you'll get what I'm planning to do, if I ever have the chance to do so.

Greyscale RC

Last edited by color01; 2011.09.13 at 05:31 PM.
Old 2011.09.14, 11:35 PM   #60
josyskunk

Proud owner of MRCG 1.1

One of the thing I really like MRCG over other aftermarket chassis is the ability to ACS body. ACS body is one of the reason that I choose Mini z over 1/10 because of its look

Thanks color01, it will be fantastic if you can CNC me the steering linkage. Here are some photos of my MRCG 1.15
I have installed the MR02 Double A-arm to the front end( needed to cut the chassis a bit to fit the A-arm, cut a main chassis plate and installed on the chassis to make it stiffer and held the LiFe battery in place even in a hard crash.
If I can ask you a favour, if you have time, can you CNC a main chassis with the cutout for the PN Double A-arm and without 1)the cutout for the AAA battery 2) cut out where the servo sit. PM me how much it will cost. Thanks a million
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0225.jpg (277.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0226.jpg (277.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0228.jpg (263.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0229.jpg (296.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0230.jpg (285.1 KB, 48 views)
josyskunk is offline   Reply With Quote