Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.10.13, 05:57 AM   #31
Bodom

Thanks for the detailed review Cherub1m
Old 2012.11.15, 09:37 AM   #32
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I have a question about setup and a few comments on this product:

In the build directions, the knuckle gets installed with the short pole of the knuckle pivot axle on the bottom side. I haven't tested yet but under bench test compression I can pop the knuckle out of the lower pivot ball housing. I notice as well that the long section of the knuckle pivot axle is installed top side where the length seems to be less of an issue....

Have I installed the knuckle incorrectly? Are my bench test compressions falsely popping the knuckle out (Am I going overboard?)

My only comment about this product (other than the comment/question above) is the extremely fiddly nature of installing the steering pins on the knuckle. If you plan on making something that requires very careful work you might consider a tool to go with the kit or a change in the shape of the install surface so it fits a nut driver. That'd ensure a smoother install.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.16, 01:48 AM   #33
Bodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
In the build directions, the knuckle gets installed with the short pole of the knuckle pivot axle on the bottom side. I haven't tested yet but under bench test compression I can pop the knuckle out of the lower pivot ball housing. I notice as well that the long section of the knuckle pivot axle is installed top side where the length seems to be less of an issue....

Have I installed the knuckle incorrectly? Are my bench test compressions falsely popping the knuckle out (Am I going overboard?)
I had the same problem, and I solved it like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
1. Is this the right way to limit suspension travel?
I've putted shims on top of the knuckle.

I had issues with knuckle popping off the lower ball when the suspension fully compresses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
My only comment about this product (other than the comment/question above) is the extremely fiddly nature of installing the steering pins on the knuckle. If you plan on making something that requires very careful work you might consider a tool to go with the kit or a change in the shape of the install surface so it fits a nut driver. That'd ensure a smoother install.
I had the same problem with installing steering pins After some time of unsuccessful tries - I got thread maker tool and made threads in the knuckles. So afterward I installed the pins with no effort
Old 2012.12.11, 07:52 AM   #34
HammondCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
I had the same problem, and I solved it like this:

I had the same problem with installing steering pins After some time of unsuccessful tries - I got thread maker tool and made threads in the knuckles. So afterward I installed the pins with no effort
+1 on the pins being annoying. Mine eventually relented to a combination of needle nosed pliers, an elastic band, and carefully concentrated violence.

On a related note, anyone else noticed that anti roll bars and option springs now exist for this part?.....
HammondCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.19, 10:39 PM   #35
ceekmc

first time posting on this forum :-)

This setup looks great on the car and seems to work v. well too, much better than the stock knuckles in terms of consistency with lines.

i had a few niggles though, thankfully it looks like we all did and it wasn't just me being inept.

I had the same problem with the steering pins, i also resorted to violence with pliers i also had to sand down the knuckles.

my toe in bar then jammed intermittently when steering so I had to remove it and sand it to smooth so it wouldn't catch anymore.

I added the SAS grease and the shocks would not move, so i removed and cleaned the shocks and now it's much better. Maybe different grease would've just been the answer to start with LOL, note to self, add grease after you build and try it out first.

The last niggles were the spare parts I had left over and I could not spot them on the diagram anywhere ( little black nut things )and the really hard to turn adjustable rings, those things are super tight to adjust the preload., i think i just expected them to glide

i'll fit the anti-roll kit when it arrives ( bought last week )and will update on it after i test it out.

thanks for the info guys, this is a great forum for noobies like me.
ceekmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.12.20, 03:30 AM   #36
Bodom

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceekmc
first time posting on this forum :-)
my toe in bar then jammed intermittently when steering so I had to remove it and sand it to smooth so it wouldn't catch anymore.
Recently I faced the same problem and solved it the same way

Quote:
I added the SAS grease and the shocks would not move, so i removed and cleaned the shocks and now it's much better. Maybe different grease would've just been the answer to start with LOL, note to self, add grease after you build and try it out first.
SAS grease is too thick for that shocks. Try something else.. I used gear diff grease.

Quote:
The last niggles were the spare parts I had left over and I could not spot them on the diagram anywhere ( little black nut things )
I wondered the same thing and asked the support.
They replied the following:

"The four plastic nuts are the original design for adjust the suspension sitting position,
but we have improved the design and made it together with the upper arm (shown in picture) so that It just for spare now."

I didn't get it what spare this part could be, but I accepted that these are just something to lie around my parts box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AWD218_m.jpg (58.4 KB, 176 views)
Old 2012.12.20, 11:02 PM   #37
ceekmc

Thanks for the reply Bodom,

thanks also for including that pic, it was perfect ! those are the bits i was describing :-)

i'm so bad at reading instructions and asking questions to product support .. so i just kept looking on Atomics website and eventually, I found an mr03 pic on the atomic website showing that same new style of suspension and it shows those same little nuts in place on the bolts that join the upper wishbones to the upper pivots that joins to the wee carbon fibre plate..

i haven't tried linking pics yet in the posts, so im hoping to describe it enough that anyone reading this will either understand or go to the Atomic website and look for the same MR-03 pic

I figured they were superfluous but was still surprised they'd been pictured, included and then not needed.

thanks for the tips on the diff grease, i will try that out too.

Cheers.
Old 2012.12.20, 11:11 PM   #38
ceekmc

good value for money

I will also say that this seems to be great functionality for the price.

I was originally looking to pimp my front end with the anodised double A-arm, but it was pretty expensive. I know it is serious Bling with a smooth action, but the cost and also the extra weight were prohibitive for me. This was just the right product at a great price.
Old 2012.12.20, 11:15 PM   #39
ceekmc

correction - nuts on the end of the shocks

whoops, my memory does not serve me well, i checked the Atomic site and found that pic showing the little black nuts but they on the ends of the shocks where they join the ball. interestingly, they were only on one side of the shocks and also not in the .pdf instructions..

Apologies for the misdirection.
Old 2012.12.23, 07:07 AM   #40
HammondCheese

Anyone know (or measured) the spring rates on the Option Spring Set for AWD I.A.S. - and how they compare to stock?
HammondCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.13, 05:31 PM   #41
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Got a good driving session with the IAS system for AWD:

1. After figuring out a spacer for the top of the knuckle the knuckle never popped out once.

2. Incredible steering feel
3. Way less chatter in the front end compared to stock

Now I have soft springs on both the IAS and Atomic rear end with heavy damper grease (Ruby Lube Blue Goo) and its well sprung, supple with no chatter or traction roll

Very happy with this product.

my custom body album...
Old 2013.01.14, 10:49 AM   #42
rodolfosolis

Anyone tested on RCP track?

Can we have a review on this surface please RCP? How it compares with PN Double A arm? Thanks!

Last edited by rodolfosolis; 2013.01.14 at 10:53 AM. Reason: iPad writes wrong
rodolfosolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.14, 02:11 PM   #43
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I only race on rcp.

I have limited experience with the PN system but I can say it has less slop and is lighter.

my custom body album...
Old 2013.07.10, 09:31 AM   #44
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I'm curious to find out if some Atomic tie-rods have come out for this system to improve/change the massive toe-out I get from the stock setup...

Anyone?

my custom body album...