Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.04.28, 11:04 AM   #16
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
That would make sense, then let me ask you this: despite its age, is Mars' speed of relaying inputs faster than that of KT18? And that said, how far above 18's speed could it go(just an idea would be great)?
as far as the mars vs kt 18....level 1 on the mars is the same as the kt 18 with finer increments of adjustment
on the kt 18 i found that one click was too much or too little......
i set my mars to level 4 and the car then became too twitchy in the steering and i felt i had less control of the throttle/brake........im sure i could fine tune this to my overly aggressive driving style....
most of the guys that use the ur or the helios....do not use the HSR OPTIONS and SLOW down the steering speed and punch in the ICS settings in the car....
with the mars on level 1 i use the base setting in the car with minimal adjustments....

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 11:57 AM   #17
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Sounds good then. Most importantly it answers my main question: is anything more sophisticated than Mars even neccesary? No. Maybe in other scales, but not in these. Cool.
Old 2009.04.28, 03:08 PM   #18
color01

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasuji View Post
most of the guys that use the ur or the helios....do not use the HSR OPTIONS and SLOW down the steering speed and punch in the ICS settings in the car....
Depends who you ask. TJ and I both use EX-I UR's and we both use Advanced HSR with 120% Quick Steering and Quick Throttle, AND turn up the steering speed and punch in the ASF board's ICS settings.

The Mars is pretty much as sophisticated as you can get, Skv, there are newer radios but aside from speed improvements the Mars is still extremely high-end.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog

Last edited by color01; 2009.04.28 at 03:12 PM.
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 03:51 PM   #19
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Depends who you ask. TJ and I both use EX-I UR's and we both use Advanced HSR with 120% Quick Steering and Quick Throttle, AND turn up the steering speed and punch in the ASF board's ICS settings.

The Mars is pretty much as sophisticated as you can get, Skv, there are newer radios but aside from speed improvements the Mars is still extremely high-end.
thats because u guys r so smooth....im not sure about the ics settingu use but i use the setting which comes in the car....strong gain, fast speed,punch @10....ect....the only change i make is the drive freq..1.2 and v inertia...off
so my car is maximum steering all the way....

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.28, 04:07 PM   #20
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Well how much of a response speed in 2.4 would you get from UR vs Mars? I can see it making a difference in AM, but in 2.4...
Old 2009.04.28, 06:01 PM   #21
color01

Answered that one in my first post already. The UR feels a *bit* quicker, but of course you pay for it as you can get a used Mars for a very reasonable price nowadays.

Grant- I think Philip turned up all the steering values to MAX for my car as well so it's maximum steering possible. And of course, drive frequency also lowered and V. inertia off. Pretty much the same settings as your car, but sooner or later I need to ask Philip to set the drive frequency back up as I'm not a fan of the punchy feel.

Greyscale RC

Old 2009.05.04, 10:15 AM   #22
Skv012a

How about this question guys- can I use "For Helios" modules w/ Mars or are those Helios-only?
Old 2009.05.04, 05:01 PM   #23
-J-

Send a message via AIM to -J- Send a message via MSN to -J- Send a message via Yahoo to -J-
Quote:
How about this question guys- can I use "For Helios" modules w/ Mars or are those Helios-only?
You can use the modules that say 'for helios' in the EX-1 UR, so I don't see why you couldn't use them with a mars.
Old 2011.01.29, 03:26 PM   #24
fraga
Javier

Quote:
I am using the RF-901SM (AFS) and a RF-501A (AM) labeled "for EX-10 Helios" on the original Mars (none R) with no problem.

I got this radio as an upgrade to the KT-18 and I am very happy with it. I first got it so I could save configurations for multiple cars, but after reading the manual and playing with it I ended up using a lot more than I thought I would since I now use curve and punch for all my cars.

A few times I have tried other racer's cars with EX-10s and I do feel the response is a bit faster, but not enough to make a difference to me. I will probably upgrade to a EX-10 latter but more for the ergonomics, which I like better, than for the speed. In all I am very happy with my eBay Mars and would recommend it to anyone on a tight budget.
fraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.01.29, 04:20 PM   #25
Skv012a

At this point, I think Ex-5UR is the best bang-for-buck 2.4 TX. Very worthy step up from KT without burning a huge hole in your wallet.
Old 2011.01.29, 05:13 PM   #26
color01

And probably enough features for most Mini-Z only enthusiasts -- if you set up the car to react linearly to input you don't really even need expo or punch settings on the Tx.

Greyscale RC