Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.04.10, 04:37 PM   #1
FastDad1

Question New Beginner MR03 Readyset??

Hello,

I'm looking for my first Mini Z. This would be my very first RC. Has anyone run this yet? Would this be a good model for a newbie?

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/MR03-RW...t_p_25055.html

Thanks in advance for the help,

-FastDad1
FastDad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.10, 05:36 PM   #2
bobbyz

Good choice for 1st Mini-z IMO, here's some reason:

-Good light body, Mclaren 12c GT3 seems to be a fairly popular racing body
-98mm wheelbase and MidMount(MM) motor mount are generally most stable/competitive layout
-latest RWD black/white box Readyset with FHSS protocol, (older Sports and Sports2 Readysets are FHS protocol)
-Comes with bearings, (older Sports/Sports2 came with plastic bushings)

Hope that helps.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.10, 10:31 PM   #3
FastDad1

Thanks again, bobbyz.

I appreciate your feedback and encouragement.
Old 2018.04.11, 12:10 AM   #4
bobbyz

you bet.

btw, I haven't driven one of the FHSS RWD MRO3, but had a FHS Sports MR03 that I raced in a stock class with a former club. It ran great with a little tuning: tires, bearings, softer springs, top oil shock, FRP t-plate. It is the entry level Kyosho brushed Mini-z, and you can of course go with a brushless, VE Pro, or some iteration of the PN2.5 chassis, and higher end radios, and so on, but expect the cost to be close to three times or more than the RWD Readyset to get it all set up. But for a first RC, I think most would enjoy the RWD.
Old 2018.04.11, 06:48 AM   #5
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Has anyone posted review of using the new FHSS radio? Hoping this is an improvement over FHS/KT-19. I have 5-6 FHS stock kits and all have quirks so hoping this new entry level system is indeed an improvement over Sports 1/2.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.12, 04:58 AM   #6
Fovea3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Has anyone posted review of using the new FHSS radio? Hoping this is an improvement over FHS/KT-19. I have 5-6 FHS stock kits and all have quirks so hoping this new entry level system is indeed an improvement over Sports 1/2.
Hi Arch !
I just bought two kits, a Mc Laren 12C and a Porsche GT3.
Yes, there is a great improvement with the steering over the old sport with the KT19. While on the old version I noticed some kind of "stepped" steering, the new one with the KP-531P radio in FHSS has a steering similar in precision and smoothness to the MR03 ASF I still have. This was a great concern for me a I need to buy 8 similar cars for our rental service. Maybe Kyosho made this correction due to complaints over the lack of precision with the old radio system.
The KP-531P radio itself looks a bit flimsy and is very very light but it does the job.
My mini-z collection
Fovea3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.12, 06:17 AM   #7
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Thanks for the feedback. I have a small fleet of Sports 1/2 that I'm going to need to replace shortly and happy to hear the FHSS is an improvement. Maybe it's cheaper to buy the board and transmitter and just convert them all? I'll have to run the numbers. the board is about $57 and transmitters are about $60 on ebay. Not a significant savings at all.

Last edited by arch2b; 2018.04.12 at 06:23 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.13, 02:30 PM   #8
FastDad1

Question What does this mean?

When reading the specs on this model, it says the following:

"Compatible with all MINI-Z Racer body styles. **Motor case and diff gear assembly to suit body are required to be purchase separately."

Again, I'm new here. Does this mean that for certain body styles I would need to buy the "Motor case and diff gear assembly"? If that is so, I'd rather stay away from having to take apart the chassis. I was looking into purchasing these two additional bodies:

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Min...t_p_45303.html

http://www.kenonhobby.com/Kyosho-Min...t_p_45737.html

Would these fit "without" having to replace the "Motor case and diff gear assembly"?

Thank you for your patience with a newbie like me.
Old 2018.04.13, 04:15 PM   #9
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

I believe that both of the additional bodies that you have selected are 98mm mid motor bodies so if the ready set you purchased is also a 98mm chassis there is nothing to change except the wheels to attain the proper front rear wheel offset.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.04.13, 09:10 PM   #10
bobbyz

Here's a link to a club page with a diagram of the various motor mounts (except MM2 and RML:

http://www.pdxminiz.com/mini-z-guide.php

The same differential/rear axel is used for all RM, HM and MM cars (and also MM2 and RML), but the LM motor mount that comes standard on 102mm wheelbase Lemans style cars requires a separate differential/axel.
Old 2018.04.13, 10:28 PM   #11
bobbyz

and yes, mleemor60 is correct. Both the Zent SC430 and Raybrig NSX are 98mm MM bodies.
Old 2018.04.13, 10:43 PM   #12
FastDad1

Thank you all for your feedback!!!

Thank you for your replies and for providing me with this great information. I appreciate the time you take to reply.