Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2011.05.01, 12:43 PM   #61
geeunit1014
Reflex Driver at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAzRACER View Post
Thanks for adding that, I thought about editing that in there after I had walked away earlier.

Mike G ran the 360 GTC a lot at the NJ race. I dont remember if he had to cut the clip or not but I will ask. I dropped him off at 2am and he said he was planning on sleeping into the pm today so it might still be too early to call.
You dont need to cut the clip for the 360 GTC

Reflex/Team Associated/Reedy/LRP/Castle Creations/Psycho Cells/Exotek/5nines/EMU Racing
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.01, 12:43 PM   #62
blt456

I only heard it would affect other bodies, so I'm not totally sure if it's true.
I did get to drive the car and when you set it down, it only has about 1mm of forward motion before hitting the left body clip. He had to shave it a lot of then it started to clear perfectly.

Here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Just to be sure this wasn't an error, I tried my body. He runs the lexus sc430 test car and the clips are lowered about 2mm or so. I run a lexus white body and the clips are lowered 1mm. When I put my body on his car, the left portion of the motor mount still hit the body clip.

When pushing the car down, the top part of the damper arm on the left side hits the back of the body clip, which is why he shaved it flush to the piece that goes in the chassis. When it moved left to right, the screw head still touched, which forced him to shave it slightly downwards resulting in the "arrow" look.

Last edited by blt456; 2011.05.01 at 12:47 PM.
Old 2011.05.01, 12:57 PM   #63
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

it may be the angle but it looks like you are running a very soft t plate causing the pod to droop. is this the case
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.01, 01:10 PM   #64
blt456

That isn't the issue. He is running a medium Reflex t plate with a top shock to keep the chassis level. Another note:

We had a long discussion on the mount. He told me when he put on the mount, the car started to act funny when driving into most of the corners of the track. He then found out the left side of the mount was hitting his body clip.

He also did mention that prior to using the new Reflex mount, his car had the PN v3 (?) mount. His car ran fine before and had no issues whatsoever.
Old 2011.05.01, 01:21 PM   #65
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

When I mounted the Lexus last weekend I did have to cut a corner off like you did but for me it was the top corner of the clip and not the bottom. I didnt have ti trim anything off the length. My motor mount bottoms out against the top of the chassis before anything else touches and when the cars on the ground the chassis bottoms out before the mount touches the top of the chassis.

The mount drive different that the PN mounts I had. I think this is mainly due to the weight. Its just something to adjust your setups to. I can assure you the mount works just fine once you get adjusted to it, there were multiple Reflex drivers on the podium at yesterdays race using this mount. Most of them had only had it for less than seven days.

Reflex Racing Mantis Worx DG-Designs Psycho Cells

Last edited by VAzRACER; 2011.05.01 at 01:33 PM.
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.01, 01:27 PM   #66
blt456

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAzRACER View Post
When I mounted the Lexus last weekend I did have to cut a corner off like you did but for me it was the top corner of the clip and not the bottom. I didnt have ti trim anything off the length. My motor mount bottoms out against the top of the chassis before anything else touches and when the cars on the ground the chassis bottoms out before the mount touches the top of the chassis.
He dremeled both of the corners at an angle on top and bottom of the clip.
It's kind of hard to see but I think the bottom part wasn't needed.

The longer, thin part that does not insert into the chassis was in the way. Near the top of the left part of the damper arm would always hit the extended part of the clip.

No matter what, the suspension would only have like 1mm back and forth motion. After shaving the extended part of the clip, the back and forth motion was normal again, the same as my pod (v3 with top shock. tons of clearance).

He did mention using tape. After running the car with full body clip modifications, the car started to work good again. The body was prone to popping up on the left side. I accidentally t-boned his car with mine and the side of his body popped up (the crash was very slow, just a slight tap). This worries me, but most locals already use tape to hold the body down.

I don't have an issue with the tape personally, but my body clips haven't been cut. This body and one of my old 350z's came from Brian Ma, who I think cut the side clips for his MRCG. Whenever I ran my 350z and even this lexus, the bodies still pop up on the sides with tape. I've seen this happen to someone else too, who now owns the old 350z (same body clip mod as the one above).

The reason I bring up the last blurb is because if a slight tap can pop up the side of the body in stock 80t, I'm scared what could happen in mod.

Last edited by blt456; 2011.05.01 at 01:44 PM.
Old 2011.05.01, 01:49 PM   #67
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

i would not use tape on the body it does not allow the body to float on the chassis. i use the blue tacky putty that teaches use to attach posters to the wall. i attach the body the push a small piece between the clip and chassis. it works perfect and does not make a mess. i have been using the same pea sized piece since the capital challenge and have had not one body pop.
MBMZR
DG Designs
Old 2011.05.02, 11:32 AM   #68
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Have been using this mount for some time, and i have not had any problems with it hitting the body clips. In 94 I have only used it with the 360GTC.

It really looks as the rear end on the car in the picture has a lot of rear droop.

In 96 it is very good space for any body you throw at it.

As for handling. I can definitely say that it changes the handling, but in a good way

Mini-Z Norway
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.02, 03:08 PM   #69
CristianTabush

Trimming the clips

This is what happens when I don't get a tutorial out on time. So sorry,

Yes, the clips must be trimmed on some bodies, and cut to fit properly in others as well. I can see how this is an inconvenience, however , we cut arm tabs to put PN and Reflex front ends on our cars, but we complain when you have to trim you body a bit? We will make some revisions for our next production, and we will look into minimizing this a bit. Unfortunately it is part of the compromise of the design. We can however, make the trimming necessary less if that's the case.

In the meantime, a little trimming is necessary to run certain bodies at 94mm. (Mostly just the Lexus SC430) Using tape on the body (as any serious racer should do, before EVERY RACE) will prevent it from popping off the chassis. I ran at the Worlds, the Capital Challenge and other miscellaneous races, and not 1 time did my body pop off or fit improperly. Neither did ANY OTHER team driver, at any of the events they have attended with it.

On the other hand, if it bothers you to trim your body clips to make your car fit this pod, then you might not want to run it in 94mm, Maybe just hold for the 95mm plates and run your can in 95+ wheelbases.
http://www.reflexracing net

Last edited by CristianTabush; 2011.05.02 at 06:09 PM.
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.02, 06:17 PM   #70
blt456

Hey Matt, can you post a pic of what you did to your body clip? Just to compare to this other body.
Old 2011.05.02, 07:40 PM   #71
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt456 View Post
Hey Matt, can you post a pic of what you did to your body clip? Just to compare to this other body.
Here are some pics of the body and some of the mount for kicks. I just realized that the other Lex 430 body I have that was used by Mike G this past weekend was not trimmed and it fit just fine on his chassis with this mount at 94mm. It obviously didnt cause any issues for him, finished second in 50t and missed the hot lap by .001 sec.

Old 2011.05.03, 02:17 PM   #72
Old Crow
Old Crow Racing

Being that the motor at longer lengths will not lay down, is this still a better mount at 98mm+, then a mount that will lay the motor down? Does this mount have such good Center of Gravity, that it is still the best at the longer lengths?
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.05.03, 03:14 PM   #73
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver

i always felt this style mount gave better rear grip compared to one that lays the motor flat.
MBMZR
DG Designs
Old 2011.05.03, 05:17 PM   #74
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

A higher CG can actually be good for longer wheebase cars/bodies. With a longer wheelbase typically you loose a little of the steering input vs a 94mm car. A higher CG will help compensate for this by adding a little more roll to the chassis thus giving the feel of a shorter wheelbase car.

Old 2011.05.03, 05:20 PM   #75
CristianTabush

Chad answered the exact thing I would say. The super low CG mounts tend to generate less grip. Ours is optimized for cg vs versatility. It does happen to be coincidental that most of us prefer the slightly higher cg mounts.

One of the updates we have coming for the mount, rather "add-on" is a damper arm that will allow you to run the Tri shock much lower. This will be a super great set-up for low Profile 98mm Bodies and 102 LM that want to run a tri-shock.

We are also working on an L-shaped damper arm so that people don't have to cut their clips. These will be optional parts for those that prefer no to cut their clips as much. We still believe the benefit of a 2 sided attachment is better than the inconvenience of cutting the side clips. The mounts will continue to have the current damper arm in future production runs.

Lastly, 95mm and 97mm plates are in the process of prototyping. These should also be available soon.
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote