Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.09.16, 08:41 AM   #1
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
MR-03 RWD Sports Series 3?

Kyosho will be launching this new series around October which is using the FHSS system with new transmitter, KT-531P. Advertising clearly now distinguishes this as RWD with the new FWD being described as series 4? both these pair with the FHSS only transmitter and both have a new board with white antenna.

Does this mean the Sports and Sports Series 2 are done and no more FHS?

Quote:
First launched in 2013, Kyosho has renewed the MINI-Z Racer Sports MR-03 concept to be even more user-friendly and appeal

Includes stylish design of Syncro KT-531P transmitter. Features steering / throttle trim as well as dual rate adjustment of steering angle and control function LEDs.
kyosho clearly has more sports FHS kits scheduled for release later this year so how exactly does this new system fit into the Mini-Z eco-system?

Entry level
Sports/Sports Series 2:FHS
Sports Series 3: FHSS
MA-03F:FHSS

Performance
MR-03: ASF
MR-03 MHS
MA-030:ASF
MA-030:MHS

with 3 radio systems in the eco-system this all feels well, lost. It's not like this was launched with full product display, presentation and information as one would typically expect. were sort of left to our own to figure out what this means with regard to whats transitioning out , if anything and what will be left for the coming future? most of us have invested significantly into the line and constant changes in radio systems with proprietary transmitters is getting to be a bit much. as am un-official brand representative, i'm at a loss for how to explain these moves to club members, LHS recommendation for stocking and recommendation to potential customers.

Kyosho, if there is anyone listening, help me help you...

Last edited by arch2b; 2017.09.16 at 08:53 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.16, 09:53 PM   #2
Felix2010

I hear ya Arch2b.. Way too many radios in the Mini-Z family
Old 2017.09.16, 11:44 PM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

It's somewhat ironic I chose this moment to get back into Mini-Z after a decade away. When I left, there was one standard (27mhz, with pairs of crystals). I remember doing tons of car upgrades, then when I finally upgraded my controller (and not even anything that fancy, an Airtronics MX-A), it was like a whole new world. I realized the controller might be the most critical component in the whole system, and by far the most expensive. I want to be able to have just one controller that works for all my cars, and I shouldn't have to get a new one every time they come out with a new upgrade. I can only really afford one decent controller.

It is so confusing now. I've asked around, and the consensus I received was ASF was still the best, MR 03 Sport to be avoided, Sport 2 not as bad, and now there's a new radio format.

I sprung for a used EX-1UR with a 901SM module, and ordered some new boards from banggood. Will retrofit some old MR02 chassis, maybe build a new MR03 from scratch, and probably just use the KT-19 or whatever comes with a new readyset.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.09.20, 08:21 PM   #4
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

My question is this an already existing system that they been using in big scale? Do they plan on releasing a better radio like they did with the older sports series?
Old 2017.09.21, 06:51 AM   #5
arch2b

The FHSS comes with a new transmitter, KT-531P.

Quote:
Including the latest Syncro KT-531P transmitter with steering trim, throttle trim, dual rate, LED control function, and sponge steering wheel for comfort fit...
Old 2017.10.15, 12:09 PM   #6
arch2b

Kyosho Taiwan today posted on Faceballs that the KT-432PT will receive a firmware update to support the FHSS signal used by the MA-03F. Waiting on response to confirm if it is the same FHSS signal used on already by Kyosho or yet another specific signal to Mini-Z

This is important news in that the Sports series upgrade transmitter will then act a as a bridge between FHS and FHSS lines similar to how the EX-6 supports ASF and MHS.

4 signals in a single product line is a cluster&^#* already
Old 2018.01.11, 01:05 PM   #7
Traveler
of both Time and Space

The claim "The new control program on the newly designed circuit board realizes linear handling characteristics"

Any news on how good the new FHSS system is and how this new radio/board combo compares to the ASF and FHS systems?
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.01.12, 01:20 PM   #8
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Old 2018.01.20, 08:34 AM   #9
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Got to try one yesterday right out of the box and it was pretty good. I have very little experience with the FHS/KT-19 to compare this to, but this new combo felt pretty good, similar to the ASF/KO Radios I’m used to.
Old 2018.08.15, 07:08 PM   #10
mugler

Does any one know if throttle/steering parameters on the newer RWD's can be programed like the ASF/MHS ko boards? I can't seem to find any programing cables listed to do that so wanted to double check.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.08.16, 04:02 AM   #11
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I dont think that the board can be programmed, I have not seen anything available for it. There may be advanced functionality in the upgrade transmitter?
Old 2018.08.16, 02:40 PM   #12
mugler

Got it, thanks for the reply and actually that works out better for the box stock class we'll be running RWDs in ...less tuning=less complication and less equipment to buy.
Old 2018.08.16, 06:22 PM   #13
EMU
EMUracing

From what I hear, they've corrected a lot of the issues that the sports had. Is box stock purely box stock, or do you permit bein bearing and t-plate upgrades for durability? I really like that class, really let's you focus on just driving.
Old 2018.08.17, 09:18 PM   #14
mugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
From what I hear, they've corrected a lot of the issues that the sports had. Is box stock purely box stock, or do you permit bein bearing and t-plate upgrades for durability? I really like that class, really let's you focus on just driving.
Thats what Ive heard about the kt-531T equipped RWDs too and thats why finally be getting one. Was running my ASF MR-02 as box stock but since got rid of all KT-18s had to use EX tx which then it wasn't box stock fair anymore.

Right now our box stock class allows open Tires/bearings/T-plates only, however cars are pretty bouncy & chttery and quality of the drive in general somewhat toyish...in order to raise the handling to hobby grade but with bare-minimum of additional hop ups I'll be proposing allowing the addition of open front springs & any combination of plastic or carbon Kyosho disk damper or oil shock as long as the plastic pod remains.
so far I've tested using oil shock only with no DDS on 98mm wheel base and that alone is a good enough mod by itself it seems. (cost 15 bucks)
Also Tested MM2 pod which comes with plastic DDS in 94mm (my favorite stock WB) and wow, that thing is on rails with a whole lot of turn in. (cost $10 bucks! LOL)
MM2 can be configured to 98 also but a 98 with original plastic mount & carbon dampner and oil or regular shock (or without any shock) will probably handle better tan an MM2 @ 98. (cost of carbon DDS for 98 is close to $40 I think)
Cost of carbon RM DDS for 90mm is about $35
for 86 the 90 carbon mount may need to be DIY-ed.
102 already comes with plastic damper so good to go.
Aside from equipment soldering motor wires to board will also be allowed for reliability.

Last edited by mugler; 2018.08.17 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2018.08.17, 09:53 PM   #15
EMU
EMUracing

In the last two kyosho stock races, I used LM first race, and MM2 in second. That MM2 mount really impressed me. I would prefer a little more spring tension on the discs, but it is by far the best value for mini-z racing. My preferred wheelbase is 94mm as well.

I know that 3racing used to make a really good DPS that could essentially fit on all stock chassis setups, rm/mm. It's a shame that there aren't any similar models available anymore. It was $15 and had an adapter for RM. I used to buy 5 or 6 at a time to be able to help new racers get any configuration track ready without having compatibility issues.

Are you trying to keep parts as kyosho only? I will take a quick search and see if i can find a good budget alternative for RM/MM damper setups.

I used to use MM dampers for RM setups with the stock top shock adapter. This need the damper plate to be raised. Maybe an adapter can be made with a lower point to mount the damper post...

I only have a helios for mini-z. We don't restrict transmitter for the class. There's no way that I am using a kt-18. i would be more willing to get the rwd than the kt-18. I had 3 that went bad on me.

Last edited by EMU; 2018.08.17 at 09:57 PM.
EMU is offline   Reply With Quote