Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.04.12, 11:00 PM   #1
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Mr killer

Here's my current project since my MR is temporarily outta commision(see my HFAY S7R4 CW youtube vid).

In reality this will be my attempt at a RWD MA-010 that may become a great MR-xx killer car. My goal is to utilize MA's even weight distribution(after weighing the motor side down for horizontal balance) and ease of maintenence to its fullest advantage and compete in RWD with RWD opposition(maybe even awd as well).

This thing handles like a true mix of two platforms: steering response and sharp radius like that of awd MA and acceleration like that of MR-02 (when both have wide rears). I'm hoping that independent suspension would help this guy triumph over MRs' rear disk dampers and hplates.

Another thing I like is ease of changing rims if I have to. Since MA doesn't have its bearings in the rims, swapping is a real matter of seconds that also saves the bearings themselves(I imagine poking MR bearings out of the wheels each time takes some kind of toll down the road).

In terms of weight this guy is 185.6 grams with the horizontal balancing lead pieces (5-7 grams in total), so without those it can probably match a stock MR02's 180 grams. Its 7-10 grams lighter than a stock MA10 with exclusion of the front diff and driveshafts halves/alum driveshafts, so its at a slight weight advantage over MA10.

How did I achieve RWD?

Very simple and effective. I might look into an even better center shaft shield out of a tougher material to help keep everything together when changing rear gears. Right now, if you pull the shaft out the back too far and put it back in, the front shaft bearing tends to pop out and hang between the chassis and the styrene shield while the shaft rattles. The MR bushing may prevent that from happening, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

*! This setup is not HFAY legal, so I'd love it if some of you try this idea and share your results with me !*
Old 2009.04.13, 06:22 PM   #2
MantisMMA
tire schredder

i dont understand why you dont just leave the pinion on the shaft and just take the diff out????? Reflex's titanium shafts are knurled on the pinion end so the pinion does not move easily.

Marcus Williams
MantisMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.13, 06:36 PM   #3
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Because (who said I had aftermarket shaft and front pinion???) the pinion would rub against the shield too much and without the shield, the shaft could slide out front, if not during a race, then defenetly when the rear gear is removed.

Now more prototype butter:

Adjustable brakes for MA. Mounted on the knuckle and extended into the rim. No clipping for clean performance. Doesnt interfere with maintenence one bit. And lastly, 1 design for all 4 knuckles. Might tweak it some more, might just make 3 more and call it a day.
Old 2009.04.14, 10:59 PM   #4
flat 4

Send a message via MSN to flat 4
Nice I like it. Why dosent Kyosho make a 2wd with an IRS in it eny way. It realy would'nt coast that much more I dont think?
MA010
flat 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.04.14, 11:05 PM   #5
Skv012a

Wholeheartedly agree there man. For now though, this will have to do
Old 2009.09.11, 12:49 AM   #6
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skv012a View Post
Wholeheartedly agree there man. For now though, this will have to do
So how does it run?
JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.09.11, 08:01 AM   #7
Skv012a

Run just like what it would seem- MR's acceleration and light weight and MA's quick and precise steering response even without the front pull.