Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.12.21, 07:36 AM   #16
skyler

Your setup

Brian, First I would like to say thanks for all the info you are putting on here. Maybe as others get their cars going they can add info too. Question about your car. Are you running a servo saver? If not, it looks lie people might get away without running one. Aren't you using a Hitec servo? BTW people...the production kits have orange aluminum parts.

Last edited by skyler; 2008.12.21 at 07:39 AM. Reason: word spacing
skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.21, 01:35 PM   #17
color01

Skyler,

The first batch of prorduction cars have silver aluminum parts. I should know because I put the kits together myself.

I'm not running a servo saver, and I've been getting away without one since the very beginning of this project. The servo is a Futaba S3113 without the control board.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.21, 02:17 PM   #18
skyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Skyler,

The first batch of prorduction cars have silver aluminum parts. I should know because I put the kits together myself.

I'm not running a servo saver, and I've been getting away without one since the very beginning of this project. The servo is a Futaba S3113 without the control board.
That's good to know. I finally found a servo saver to fit my servo and it's way too big to use in this application. I wish mine had been silver. Maybe sales of your car will be so good that colr options will be offered. BTW it's an aesome kit.
Old 2008.12.21, 05:23 PM   #19
color01

Strange, so Philip gave you an orange one? I told him to hold off till the second batch... Anyways, the orange PN parts are slightly different (must use PN's rear axle height adjusters) so keep that in mind when looking for replacements. Glad you like the kit.

Back to the servo, make sure you seat the servo as far forward as possible, and when attaching the long tubing to the servo horn, seat it as far into the Delrin tierod adapter as possible. I've had a couple reports of tierod adapter breakages when this step is not done. I think I will have to make an announcement about this before people break all their tierod adapters. (For the record, I have not broken a single one yet. They last when you use them correctly, hence the need for an announcement.)

Greyscale RC

Old 2008.12.22, 05:28 PM   #20
skyler

another chassis

Brain, After seeing this chassis and how well engineered it is made me hope you will eventually want another challenge. Some guys in Hong Kong are cutting up M02's & MA010's and gluing them together to make a balanced AWD. So what I am wishing for is a CF AWD chassis. .Advantages: stronger,balanced, no more worries about warpage from motor heat... Just a thought.
Old 2008.12.22, 10:57 PM   #21
color01

http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28716

^ There's your MRCG AWD concept. I've changed it a bit since that last update, with the cells stacked in a diamond shape instead of that oddly shaped pack in the thread. Relatively easy to do and less development time needed vs. the MRCG. I just need to figure out a front tierod.

----------------------------

Back to the [RWD] MRCG, I've replaced the 350Z with the SC430 to test out some more this week. While the 350Z has great traction and corner speed I didn't like the fact that I had to use such excessively soft springs to get enough steering. I'd rather use the more aggressive SC430 and harder front springs. Now I'm using normal PN green front springs and the car feels a bit quicker and much more precise on my small test track. Btw, 1N/2W still works out beautifully.

Greyscale RC

Old 2008.12.23, 02:03 AM   #22
HaCo
02-Racer

That body looks awesome!!!
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.12.23, 03:56 AM   #23
skyler

AWD Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
http://www.mini-zracer.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=28716

^ There's your MRCG AWD concept. I've changed it a bit since that last update, with the cells stacked in a diamond shape instead of that oddly shaped pack in the thread. Relatively easy to do and less development time needed vs. the MRCG. I just need to figure out a front tierod.

----------------------------

Back to the [RWD] MRCG, I've replaced the 350Z with the SC430 to test out some more this week. While the 350Z has great traction and corner speed I didn't like the fact that I had to use such excessively soft springs to get enough steering. I'd rather use the more aggressive SC430 and harder front springs. Now I'm using normal PN green front springs and the car feels a bit quicker and much more precise on my small test track. Btw, 1N/2W still works out beautifully.

Awesome. So you're WAY ahead of me... Thanks Brian.
Old 2008.12.23, 07:26 PM   #24
color01

No prob.

Here's a little something I'm working on at the moment... if anyone doesn't like the Delrin tierod adapter, you may want to consider a setup like this:

The original idea, of course, was EMU's, but I fabricated my own adapter instead of using a spare part. The ball joints are Atomic's, I used spare parts from the RM DPSII system and glued the shock ends together.

Here's what it looks like in the car, very compact:

The steering seems to be a bit more precise with the linkage in, so I guess this really is a better way to do it. However, I'm wary of trying to release this as a hop-up for the chassis until I can source good ball links. Shaving down the Atomic shocks and gluing them together is not my idea of user-friendliness.

Greyscale RC

Old 2009.01.11, 03:57 AM   #25
color01

Had my first serious testing session at Kenon.

First thing to notice: Kyosho 30 radials are NOT the front tire to use, they have way too much bite.

Second thing: Need more disk damper. I was chattering like mad until I stepped up to a hard top spring and medium bottom spring on the disk damper (same 1000wt oil).

Third thing: My PN 6 radials have dried out.

Thankfully, Philip hooked me up with a set of 20d slick fronts and 8d radial rears, so I had decent grip for practicing. I think I will need 15d slick fronts and 6d radial rears in a race situation, as the 98mm MRCG has less weight overall, especially on the front end, and could use some stickier rubber.

Actually, Philip and Grant hooked me up with a lot of stuff.

New ceramic diff: I was worried about smoothness (to be honest, previous PN diffs weren't spectacular) but this one IS spectacular. Really, really smooth and free. A bit on the heavy side but it feels as good as an open diff in terms of raw corner speed. 52t 64p spur gear.

New PN 70t, and 64p gears: Philip gave me a spare (with 12t pinion) to test out. Although the motor seems pretty loud, it winds up nicely, lots of torque.

F1 top spring: Grant pointed out to me that my rear suspension didn't have quite enough bump stiffness so he gave me a yellow F1 spring (thanks!). I had to adjust my center spring to compensate for the higher ride height but afterwards this thing did help corner exit steering a lot!

Philip also tuned my ASF board a bit on the ICS software, so now I get a bit more power (if less smooth... I'm not sure if I like this better) and faster servo response. My fastest lap of the day was a 7.7 (using 2007 350Z body, btw), which is the current Stock Sedan record! Not bad for a first day.

After practice: new bearings (the Reflex ones were waaay overdue for replacement), installed new Delrin rims and half-worn Kyosho 20 radial rears. The Delrin rims are amazing, I regret not having installed these earlier. I also went to +1W rears (down from +2W) to tuck the wheels into the body a bit better. The 350Z body's actually the narrowest new Super GT body, kinda weird.

But still, 7.7 with dead bearings and practice tires tells me I can probably hit 7.3 or 7.4 next time -- that'd be smashing the record, I can't wait.

Greyscale RC

Last edited by color01; 2009.01.11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2009.01.29, 01:08 AM   #26
color01

Took the time to clean up and detail my 350Z to make it a bit more distinctive. So if you see GSR stickers on the track...

Greyscale RC

Old 2009.01.29, 03:37 AM   #27
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Looks good Brian, I would round off the front lip so it doesnt get stuck in the borders as much though...
Old 2009.01.29, 08:31 PM   #28
camaro93

wow that is very nice the stickers just make it stand out they look good btw for the rear shock what kind of spring do you have on there
camaro93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.01.29, 10:21 PM   #29
color01

I cut an angle into the splitter, EMU, so the car glances off walls instead of digging in. I just hid that fact by leaving the corners sharp.

The spring on the top shock was a Kyosho F1 spring, but I've changed it out to a normal MR02 top spring (softer) to see if I can get a bit more on-power corner speed.

Greyscale RC

Old 2009.03.06, 06:40 PM   #30
color01

Recent updates:

Took apart my servo to show you guys how to wire the S3113 to the Mini-Z ASF board:

Also... I saw the McLaren white bodies and swore to myself that I'd buy one, and thankfully Binh at ILR had one in stock for me (thanks again btw!). Here she is with a nearly-perfect Sharpie job.

I even installed the mirrors this time around because Kyosho finally made them flexible! I cut out the rear end to take some weight away and let the air flow out from under the body (works somewhat like a crude diffuser, just look at 1/12 Pan and 1/10 TC). The McLaren actually feels like a pan body rather than a touring body though, with the low height and wide offsets (you're looking at +3N/+3.5W in the pictures!). At Kenon they were just as fast as the Pan Cars so I think this will be a good body to run, even if it is on the heavy side. Can't wait till spring break comes around.

Greyscale RC