Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.09.20, 03:53 PM   #1
Jeremy386

Loss of Bind...

Hey there, got a wonderful problem that can use some help with.

I upgraded to the ASF just over a month ago, was driving just fine. About 2.5 weeks ago, i started having a problem with the car. While running, the car would just stop. No steering, no throttle. If I waited it would start working again just fine, untill the next time it happened.

Steps taken so far:

Thought it was the on/off switch that was "fluttering" between, so we bypassed and removed the on/off switch. Didn't solve the problem.

One of the motor leads wasn't soldered very well to the motor, resoldered it. Didn't solve the problem.

We tried gearing down the PN stock motor from 10 tooth to 9 tooth, and it worked for 80 or so laps before I called it anight. We thought that the fets might have been causing the issue, so we upgraded from 3010s to 8858s.
Put the 10 tooth back on and the problem came back. Switched from a PN stock to a Speedy 07 with a 9 tooth, had the problem, geared all the way down to a 7 tooth, still get the problem.

Comparing my board with a new one, I don't see anything obviously wrong.

My module is working fine, I've used it to run another driver's ASF cars without any problems.

The board still has power, I just don't have any functionality.

Was wondering if perhaps the motor is demanding a lot of power and maybe the batteries can't handle the draw, so power that should go to the receiver is being 'stolen' by the motor and causing the problem. I am using Orion 900s. Seems to happen through multiple sets of batteries.

Looking for any help/suggestions.

Thank you much,
Jeremy
Jeremy386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.21, 12:34 AM   #2
Tjay

It's still doing the same Jeremy? I thought it was working fine on the last time I saw you?

Check or replace the wire (with PN motor motor wire) that goes from the board to the battery terminals.
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.21, 01:08 AM   #3
Jeremy386

TJ, it came back. When we geared the PN stock down to a 9 tooth pinion it worked fantastic. After the Fet upgrade we put the 10 tooth back on and the problem came back. We tried a different motor, the only one I had was the Speedy 07, Binh did the soldering work on them, it all looks good, and still having the same problem. I'm about ready to throw the thing against a wall, with my luck the car would survive and put a hole in my wall just to spite me.
Old 2008.09.21, 01:20 AM   #4
Tjay

Bring your car to your store tomorrow. I'll try to stop by and pick it up. I would probably spend sometime with your car but I'll try my best to get it working. PM me with your contact info...
Old 2008.09.21, 07:44 PM   #5
lugnutz

check to see if you battery terminals are dirty or check your batteries if the ends are,from time to time you should take some fine sand paper and give your batteries a cleaning
Old 2008.09.21, 09:53 PM   #6
Jeremy386

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
check to see if you battery terminals are dirty or check your batteries if the ends are,from time to time you should take some fine sand paper and give your batteries a cleaning
I've pulled the tabs out, the battery fit is very snug. The tabs and the ends are in good shape.
Old 2008.09.21, 11:58 PM   #7
Tjay

Jeremy, I didn't get any PM from you. Anyhow just let me know if you want me to check that thing out before your next stop at the shop.

Later!
Old 2008.10.09, 10:26 AM   #8
ianc

Next time you get the issue, use a voltmeter to verify that you're actually getting power to the board. If you are, it's got to be a board issue, and I don't know what you can do about that...

If you're not (likely), then at least you can trace back to the batteries to determine exactly where the fault is...

Good luck!

ianc
ianc is offline   Reply With Quote