Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.02.25, 09:51 PM   #1
dugrant153

Loving the Mini Z MR02!

Wow, I haven't posted in a while. Last time I was here, I think I had an Iwaver 01.

Anyways, those days are done. I just invested in an MR02, and it's a major hoot! Tons of fun to drive, but also a major challenge at the same time.

I find the car to be quite twitchy, and I find that the car tends to over steer into the wall. I guess I'm too used to AWD 1/10 cars, so this is a bit of a different experience for me.

Any setup suggestions? I have a stock MR-02 car, with bearings.
dugrant153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.25, 10:19 PM   #2
color01

Is it oversteering to the point of drifting, or just too sharp of a turning radius? You can always turn down the steering EPA.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.25, 10:23 PM   #3
dugrant153

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01
Is it oversteering to the point of drifting, or just too sharp of a turning radius? You can always turn down the steering EPA.
the controller doesn't have steering EPA? (I'm using the stock Kyosho controller). I tried turning down the dual rate, but then car wouldn't turn in tight enough for me.

Could be I'm just going in with too much speed and trying to turn. It's not really drifting. more like I turn, and it ends up smacking into the side wall head-on.
Old 2007.02.25, 10:24 PM   #4
rkk

Send a message via MSN to rkk Send a message via Yahoo to rkk
Tires are a good investment and check the the dual rate.
rkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.26, 12:22 AM   #5
FrankW1029

stock tires are worth-less, but if you change the tires you may find too much steering because the stock car doesn't go that fast.

"sideways are just more fun"

Autoscales For Sale!
FrankW1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.26, 12:34 AM   #6
dugrant153

during my run today at a LHS, someone actually borrowed me some really (But used) racing tires. MR-02 stock tires are pretty much worthless on the Kyosho foam 'puzzle piece' tracks (I think they're maybe good for asphalt and carpet only?). I have to admit, they made for some pretty interesting drifts.

What I'm looking for is something that is more stable than what I am running. perhaps it is the RM motor mounting that I'm not used to?

Last edited by dugrant153; 2007.02.26 at 12:47 AM.
Old 2007.02.26, 01:19 AM   #7
FrankW1029

are you running into the outside walls when you turn or the inside wall when you turn? I'm lost because you said you run into the wall, yet you describe it as oversteer.

if it's the first then it's probably because you are not getting enough tracking on the front. it could be because the tire you borrowed are worn or because they're not the higher grip tires. kyosho tires range from 50-20 degree (lower the # = higher grip).

if it's the second it's probably because you have too much grip on the front and not enough speed. with these cars the slower you go the quicker they actually respond when turning. this may have been the twitch you are talking about.

the RM motor mount will indeed make the turning response quicker. I just ran both of my MR02 which both are 94mm wheel base, but one has a PNracing RM mount and one has the PNracing multi-length mid-mount. The RM has a quicker and tighter turn response.

"sideways are just more fun"

Autoscales For Sale!
FrankW1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.26, 01:22 AM   #8
dugrant153

sorry, forgot to specify. I turn into the inside wall a lot. so I'm thinking the front tires have more grip than the rears.
Old 2007.02.26, 01:50 AM   #9
rkk

Send a message via MSN to rkk Send a message via Yahoo to rkk
Are you getting a lot of hop in the rear end? Does it just wash out all of a sudden?
rkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.26, 01:52 AM   #10
dugrant153

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk
Are you getting a lot of hop in the rear end? Does it just wash out all of a sudden?
I find that it pretty much just turns in more than I expect. And that usually gets me smacking into the inside wall.
Mind you, this is my first time driving it, and I'm used to my Tamiya TB02 AWD setup (Which doesn't drive like these mini Z's at all). So on one hand, it may be just soemthing I have to get used to. on the other hand, it could also be a bit of my setup also.
Old 2007.02.28, 04:43 PM   #11
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugrant153
I find that it pretty much just turns in more than I expect. And that usually gets me smacking into the inside wall.
Mind you, this is my first time driving it, and I'm used to my Tamiya TB02 AWD setup (Which doesn't drive like these mini Z's at all). So on one hand, it may be just soemthing I have to get used to. on the other hand, it could also be a bit of my setup also.
I had the same problem when I first started running my RM 02. I couldnt handdle it at all, and the overstear seemed horrible. Until last week I was running it 100% stock except with 10* Atomic rear tires and 30* fronts. With that set up and good throttle control I still had a bit of overstear. Once I adjusted the dual rate, I was running at the front of our local pack

Now Ive invested in bearings and a faster motor (PN Fet Stock). With the more power I was getting a lot of rear end hop, but that was taken out by my kyosho friction damper set. I also got a new remote in the mean time (with EPA) and now Ive got it dialed in right. Im still running the stock springs up front and on top of the friction damper. And Im still runing the same type of tires. It is a fast set up for me and handles really well.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.03.10, 02:30 AM   #12
dugrant153

Well I managed to tighten up the setup a bit by putting grease in the ball diff and putting an O-ring on the rear shock damper (might put another to keep it stiffer). the car is still a bit twitchy... so will have to keep setting up this RM to just the way I like it.