Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.08.15, 04:02 PM   #1
ruf
4play

InZane P28 1/28 racing chassis from Reflex Racing!

Hi guys, with the new name and actual chassis on the way, I thought we should start a new thread with the production version name: the InZane P28!

Reflex has just finished building a P28 chassis as a press car for the major R/C magazines to review. We also have prepared a "stock" MR-02 for them to compare it against. We're going to shake them down at Kenon tonight, clean them up, and send them off on their press tour! We went all out with these, and decided to give our loyal racers here at Mini-ZRacer.com a sneak peek! Enjoy!

Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.15, 05:19 PM   #2
eztuner12
Do you want to go fasst??

Man it is just spectacular; it really deserves the pre-name PRO.
Thx for shearing it with us. Let us know when the article is coming out and the magazine name, when you can.
Thx
Cheers
eztuner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.15, 06:28 PM   #3
color01

That's one wicked looking chassis, Joe, I'm sure the magazines will love it! Just curious: How much of the PN Pan Car body did you have to cut to fit it over the chassis?

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.15, 06:39 PM   #4
CristianTabush

Brian, all you have to remove is the side air intakes, this is the only thing that gets in the way of the side links...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.15, 06:58 PM   #5
ruf
4play

eztuner - thanks for the kind words. Right now, the car is getting sent to R/C Car, and then to Xtreme, and finally to Car Action. Our good friends at R/C Car wanted the scoop, and we gave it to them! They've long been supporters of Reflex in 1/28 (and 1/10 back in the day...)

color01 - there is VERY minimal cutting on this body (or the VDS2 for that matter). The side intakes on the PN and Atomic pan car bodies are really deep in order to allow for a normal-sized side clip. Unfortunately, this real estate is needed for the side links, so you have to trim about 5mm or 3/16" from the inside of the side intakes with a sanding drum. I take it down all the way to the body panel in a gradual matching arc just to make it look nice.

Aside from that, both bodies fit like a glove and rest nicely on the chassis. The body post lengths are perfect, and all there is left to do is cut the holes. InZane really has done his homework for the last what... 4-5 years this car has been in development? The well thought-out nature of this chassis and the high quality of finish have made this chassis attractive to us then, and even more so now. It's been in the works for a long time and the attention to detail throughout its evolution shows in this iteration.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube

Last edited by ruf; 2008.08.15 at 07:09 PM.
Old 2008.08.15, 07:17 PM   #6
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

looks very race ready
will the mags be tesing on rcp?
its about time they got hold of something to actually test in 1/28 rather than just pictures
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.16, 02:26 AM   #7
tudor_47

RUF,
I do hope you will make the magazine stories available for us to download, living in Sweden it might be a problem to get the magazines..

What is the receiver you have used? It looks as if it has been modified (if it is a spektrum micro) Will the shortened antenna be enough? Can you supply us with a description of what has been done to the receiver?

The ESC is that a Xray?

Thanks!

Get a P28

Our new track at MiniZata Were we race My P28

Last edited by tudor_47; 2008.08.16 at 02:30 AM.
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.16, 03:50 AM   #8
ruf
4play

The receiver is the new KO Propo 2.4GHz. I cut the pins off of channels 3 and 4 and trimmed the case down around those channel sockets. I used electrical tape to "reseal" the case. I also shortened the servo and ESC connector plugs.

As for the antenna, I matched the length to the ASF boards in the Mini-Z at 30mm. So far, no reception issues at all. The ESC is an Xray.

I'll see what I can do about the magazines.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
Old 2008.08.16, 09:02 AM   #9
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
What configuration is this, RM or MM? And can regular AutoScale bodies be mounted on this? Will there be optional mount's for AutoScales? Only thing I'm not crazy about is the body posts, but I guess it works for that kind of body. Great looking chassis and I'm curious as to how it handles on RCP track. Looks very light weight and nimble!
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.16, 09:14 AM   #10
CristianTabush

The car is 98mm and Mid mount configuration. As for the body posts...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.16, 05:53 PM   #11
eztuner12

Hi ruf
Are you using regular hobby electronics to gain weight, as well as, better weight distribution or for other reasons?
If I don’t remember wrong, on your earlier pic, you were using a Mini-z 2.4GHz unit and to me it look better, I know that between performance and looks, performance is the right direction.
Thx for clearing this up,
Cheers
Old 2008.08.16, 09:22 PM   #12
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
The receiver is the new KO Propo 2.4GHz. I cut the pins off of channels 3 and 4 and trimmed the case down around those channel sockets. I used electrical tape to "reseal" the case. I also shortened the servo and ESC connector plugs.

As for the antenna, I matched the length to the ASF boards in the Mini-Z at 30mm. So far, no reception issues at all. The ESC is an Xray.

I'll see what I can do about the magazines.
Joe,
Which of the X-ray speed controls is it? 180,300 or the 300R
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.17, 12:52 PM   #13
InZane
Don't get mad-Get InZane

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
...... can regular AutoScale bodies be mounted on this? Will there be optional mount's for AutoScales? Only thing I'm not crazy about is the body posts, but I guess it works for that kind of body. ...
There seems to be a lack of understanding of what makes a pan car work. My experience with pan cars goes back to the mid 70’ies – from 1:8 scale nitro cars, electric 1:10, 1:12, 1:18 down to 1:28. Before that I was racing slot cars way back in the early 60'ies - you guessed it .. pan cars as well.

Chassis flex plays a very important part in the handling characteristics. Basically you want more flex when traction is low. That’s why we have two different chassis plates – one for rubber tracks or other high traction surfaces (EU version) and one for RCP tracks or similar (US version).

Auto Scale body fastening is OK when you use a rigid “box” chassis like the Mini-Z, but beware! it will restrict the natural flexing of the carbon plate and possibly even tweak the chassis. That’s the main reason why we opted for body posts instead.

It’s important to mount the body with a small but noticeable "float" (side to side and up&down) to avoid bindings between body and chassis. This holds true for fastening of the batteries, there should be a very small play here as well (again not applicable for Mini-Z box chassis).

EU chassis

US chassis - note the holes just in front of the battery posts for more flex.

1:28 scale RC cars are very light – even small changes can make big differences in handling. Everything must run absolutely free without any bindings - VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

Last edited by InZane; 2008.08.17 at 02:14 PM. Reason: My terrible English - sorry not my native language 8)
InZane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.17, 05:30 PM   #14
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf View Post
eztuner - thanks for the kind words. Right now, the car is getting sent to R/C Car, and then to Xtreme, and finally to Car Action. Our good friends at R/C Car wanted the scoop, and we gave it to them! They've long been supporters of Reflex in 1/28 (and 1/10 back in the day...)
Joe, can you tell us what issue of RCCA the cars will be featured in? I would love to pick up a copy, since I haven't subcribed in like 10 years.

Available at www.Maine-iac-motors-rc.com
Flashsp-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.08.17, 11:13 PM   #15
eztuner12

Hi inZane
Thx for the USv lower plate explanation, very interesting.
Any other mayor differences between the EUv and the USv, regarding suspension, geometric etc?
Are we, USA market, will have the option to select between the EUv and the USv?
As I can see, ruf and pchan0 chassis are EUv!
Thx
Cheers

Last edited by eztuner12; 2008.08.18 at 04:45 PM.