Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.06.08, 11:10 PM   #1
ct-mini

Mini-96 not wide enough..?

hi all,

i'm a newbie to the mini world... my first mini-z is on ordered and will be here shortly, i hope... as i was searching the web for ideas on how to build my own track when i stumbled upon this very informative forum... i hope many of you can help me out...

my question is toward those who own a Mini-96 track from RCP, is the 18.5" inch lane wide enough for beginners..? the other RCP track is 33" inch wide, but is no comparision to the Mini-96 and it take up even more space... the track that i had in mind to build is 22" inch wide... i know it's not much wider than the RCP 18.5" but for a few beginners, that could mean pile ups or no pile ups...

or am i just being paranoid..?

thanks,

ct
ct-mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.08, 11:59 PM   #2
bda52
I want my two dollars!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bda52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-mini
hi all,

i'm a newbie to the mini world... my first mini-z is on ordered and will be here shortly, i hope... as i was searching the web for ideas on how to build my own track when i stumbled upon this very informative forum... i hope many of you can help me out...

my question is toward those who own a Mini-96 track from RCP, is the 18.5" inch lane wide enough for beginners..? the other RCP track is 33" inch wide, but is no comparision to the Mini-96 and it take up even more space... the track that i had in mind to build is 22" inch wide... i know it's not much wider than the RCP 18.5" but for a few beginners, that could mean pile ups or no pile ups...

or am i just being paranoid..?

thanks,

ct
Hi ct-mini, this place has been great for info for me.

I can only help you out a little bit on this one. I have the RCP Wide L. The area I have to set up the track is one bay of a 2 car garage, with this restriction I can only really set it up as an oval.

As for being a beginner, of course wider is better. The option you have with the 96 is getting the expansion pack down the road if you are having that much troubles hitting the rails. I have a feeling though that your skills will improve rapidly on the narrower track.

Which Mini-z did you order? Be sure to use the search feature to find setups for the model you ordered. Out of the box the Z's can be a little tricky to drive. The stock tires are very hard and really only get good traction on smooth asphalt.
bda52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 01:32 AM   #3
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
I got a mini tile 96 last month, and I've been driving Zs for about 6 months. You'll definitely find the lane width to be narrow if you're driving more then two cars at a time. With three cars, it's doable, but it would take some practice. Even with one car, it'll take some getting used to.

I purchased the expansion kit, and that's definitely the way to go for three-four cars...not to mention, you can add variety by making some parts of the track wide and keeping some narrow. One expansion kit comes with enough tiles to widen 50% of the track, and costs $100.

Anyway, the mini 96 is an excellent product and will make you a better driver, but yes, the lanes are narrow.

you can check my gallery to see how the track looks with the expansion kit...(link in sig)

My Gallery

Last edited by bolter9; 2005.06.09 at 01:35 AM.
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 09:47 AM   #4
ruknd@aol.com
fast and out of control

Send a message via AIM to ruknd@aol.com
I'm at about two weeks on my mini96. It IS narrow but you get a great layout in not much space.
ruknd@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 11:12 AM   #5
Falken GT-R
SPRacing

I've had the mini-96 for about 3 monthes now and for two or three cars it is great, i learned it pretty fast and you can set-up alot of different road race set-ups with. I think it has the best value because of the track layouts and the length. Heres a pic of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t1.JPG (52.8 KB, 111 views)
Old 2005.06.09, 12:26 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i can't think of a better teaching tool than the 30cm rcp track. given a few months of consistent use you will find the 50cm tracks a breeze and have a slight advantage as your already mastering the cornering angles and staying off the rails.

i ahve to admit, after a year or so on my track i can come just a hair off the rail coming out of a turn on my track but if i went back to the 30cm i would be snagging every wall
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 01:00 PM   #7
ruf
4play

My dream track would be 3-wide 30cm tile with large inside radius corners.

Has anyone spoken with RCP lately? I really can't seem to get ahold of them.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 01:13 PM   #8
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i ahve not heard from rcp in ages
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.09, 01:41 PM   #9
TNB
Pet Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
Has anyone spoken with RCP lately? I really can't seem to get ahold of them.
Not since RCX, but I've been playing with the big toys. Another question either to ruf or Arch2b though I have posted it on the Half8 forum, is that store going to get in the Atomic alloy spur gears for the Kyosho Mini-Inferno? Hint.
Old 2005.06.10, 01:18 AM   #10
ct-mini

wow... great info... thanks, got my first mini-z in the mail today... it's a used one off ebay, didn't want to fork over too much money on a tester... anyways, it's Subaru STI (i think) and its in pretty good condition with Xspeed motor and bearing installed... pretty nice setup for $50... man this little sucker is fast , even made it flipped a few times by turning too quickly ...

anyways, as for the track's wide... i placed some boards together to get a sense of how wide 18.5" is and man it's not wide at all for my skill, haha... i think the RCP wide track would be ideal for me to start out on so i dont get too frustated and quit ... then move down to the Mini-96 when i'm more comfortable...

oh hey, did i mention that this is a great forum..? well the antenna broke when i flipped it numerous times and i searched this forum for suggestions... someone on here suggested to use guiter strings and let me tell you, they worked great... it seem to worked even better than the stock... only cost me $1 for a 40 inch sting... much more durable than the original too... well just thought i might pass this info on...
Old 2005.06.10, 01:31 AM   #11
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-mini
wow... great info... thanks, got my first mini-z in the mail today... it's a used one off ebay, didn't want to fork over too much money on a tester... anyways, it's Subaru STI (i think) and its in pretty good condition with Xspeed motor and bearing installed... pretty nice setup for $50... man this little sucker is fast , even made it flipped a few times by turning too quickly ...

anyways, as for the track's wide... i placed some boards together to get a sense of how wide 18.5" is and man it's not wide at all for my skill, haha... i think the RCP wide track would be ideal for me to start out on so i dont get too frustated and quit ... then move down to the Mini-96 when i'm more comfortable...

oh hey, did i mention that this is a great forum..? well the antenna broke when i flipped it numerous times and i searched this forum for suggestions... someone on here suggested to use guiter strings and let me tell you, they worked great... it seem to worked even better than the stock... only cost me $1 for a 40 inch sting... much more durable than the original too... well just thought i might pass this info on...
Which string did you use? I'm guessing not the low E...

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.06.10, 01:55 AM   #12
ct-mini

when i went there i had no clue what i was looking for... i looked the electic guitars that they had up for display and check the size that most resemble the original size antenna... i ended up getting the second to the thickest string on the electric guitar... the package reads: Premiun Grade Dynamite Alloy for Electric Guitar... the diameter is .036" inches... i also read that the length of the antenna is important too... i did two tests... i cut one at about 6" inches (about the same size as the original) and another at 12"inches... i know it's alittle long, but the 12" worked beautifully... i'm not sure how far i walked away from my mini, but i know for sure its much further than anyone with a mini-z woud ever need, could hard see the little sucker and still no problem controlling it...
Old 2005.06.17, 06:19 PM   #13
mini-z
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
i ahve not heard from rcp in ages
I hear from him all the time - I heard from him today in fact - no need to worry guys!
mini-z is offline   Reply With Quote