Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.04.03, 05:55 PM   #1
Blf

F1 DDS or Rear Shock Options

Hi all - new to F1 but not to mini z at all!

Picked up an MF-015 chassis and bought the PN lcg mount but wondered if there is a preferred shock to use in tandem? I also have the R246 on the way too and will choose between them. Which is preferred and why?

Have KS tires, bearings, ball diff and the bottom bumper with IC tag on the way as well ! Excited to get it on my track!

BTW there is only ONE in tag option for both mf010 and mf015 right? I'm assuming it's same dimensions between the two incarnations
Blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.04, 04:26 PM   #2
RussF
Salt Lake Mini-Z

I run the Kyosho Friction Shock Set with the Kyosho F1 Rear Shock Set, and the Kyosho Carbon Fiber Side Plates.

I also like the PN Racing F1 Motor Mount. Its all kinda old school but works well.
Old 2016.04.04, 07:38 PM   #3
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I have 2 alloy mounts as well and I find that I use the heavier of the 2 for fast flowing tracks and the lighter for twister tracks. The less weight helps the F1 rotate and turn in when things are on the tight side.

I'm a big fan of kyosho frp side plates with the Kyosho f1 disc damper on my stock F1 and my mod has a cool Tri shock design I borrowed from hrdrvr (a member here) with some sweet Mantisworks frp T-plate/battery cover combo. It's easily the best driving F1 I've ever built. It has a 50T motor but it's so predictable I could really go with more power.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.06, 04:26 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I haven't driven an f1 in quite a while... But I will agree with cowboy on using a heavier motor mount for high speed flowing tracks, and a lighter one for twisty tracks.

My reasoning is a little different though, I will explain...

In general, the setups will be designed for 2 different driving approaches... The first is momentum, second is driving hard into the corner, slowing, rotating, and accelerating hard out of the corner. My choice of motor mount is actually the opposite of what I would typically use for eact application.

Heavier motor mounts. Transfer the center of weight further back will give a little extra traction on throttle, giving a little push, however, add rotation of throttle into the corners. While a lighter rear has more neutral feeling, more rotation on throttle, and less rotation into the corner.

So you would think that a high speed momentum track would benefit more from a lighter mount, and the opposite for a tight track.

The reason that I chose the mounts, is primarily due to tire options. I will typically use a more aggressive front tire on a tighter track, with less motor and stiffer front springs. On a larger track, I will run a softer overall spring, with a little push on the front end.

This is also something that is personal preference... So I suggest testing out what you have, and seeing what works best for you.

I typically prefer disc dampers, to the Kyosho friction damper, but almost always use a top spring to reduce sag, and rarely ever used side springs when using side plates. I found that they would be inconsistent and induce tweak in the car.

There are many very small things I the setup of the f1 too get it to run well, but when dialed in, it's the most fun type of car to drive.
Old 2016.04.06, 06:48 PM   #5
Blf

Thanks for all the info Russ, Cowboy & EMU!!

Going to be running on this track - would this be considered a "tight track" (maybe a little bigger than this pic but basically the same):

Old 2016.04.06, 07:34 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
It's medium, but more on the tight side.

High speed layouts typically use more wide radius inside corners, and carry much more corner speed than the one you have.

For a very experienced racer, we're talking about a difference of a few tenths of a second per lap as far as the difference in motor mount... What I was trying to show was that the difference in motor mount for me, was a different setup approach to the entire setup.

With an identical setup, the motor mount difference is relatively minor, but it is there. Parts for the f1 aren't as plentiful as they once were, so my advice is to find parts that are available, and work your setup around over them.

In general, soft side plates, or t-plate if applicable are necessary. Soft or medium top shock spring, preloaded to remove sag, and prevent battery tray from bottoming out, since I remove side springs. Dds soft top, medium bottom spring on flowing track, opposite on tight. Light grease on discs.

I like a 1 degree front knuckle. 0 or 1d toe in. Yellow/hard front spring to start, medium if needed.

I'm not very current on tire choices, but I always liked Kyosho 20 rear, with slick 30 front for tight tracks, and team23 for large tracks.

I am not sure if you have access to a tire truer, but that would be one of the biggest investments you can get off you want to dial in the car quickly. The radial fronts are typically too much bite, and I true the grooves off, or almost off and then just drive many laps to break them in. One set of front tires can last 10 sets of rear.

I glue the inside and outside bead to the wheel, and use tire tape on the flat part of the wheel. You don't want the tire moving on the wheel. I do this on both front and rear. Front I may glue the outside sidewall higher if it still has too much bite. But that is less effective on f1 than racer... However glued up sidewalls tend to grab rcp rails less than unglued.

Definitely get one of these front bumpers, and wings...
http://www.shapeways.com/product/9FA...ionId=43538909
http://www.shapeways.com/product/VHV...ionId=41005160

They are by far the best things to use. The Kyosho are very fragile. You can glue up the sides of the bumper a little so they grab the rails less... But I didn't have issues with it.
Old 2016.04.06, 08:29 PM   #7
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

you can use a Kyosho top shock. You can also use the PN duel top shock. Theres a piece for the PN shock on Shapeways to mount PN shock. Should be under JRP racing (Jesse Racing Products.) Like EMU said, strong front bumper and rear wing is a must.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.09, 06:11 AM   #8
Blf

Awesome guys ---- thanks for all the info as I'm not familiar with this class. Again, have a lot of the parts mentioned ready to go, just haven't even opened anything up yet

Again, I'll take all this into consideration and will report back --- what would I do without the forum!
Old 2016.04.09, 06:21 AM   #9
Blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
It's medium, but more on the tight side.

High speed layouts typically use more wide radius inside corners, and carry much more corner speed than the one you have.

For a very experienced racer, we're talking about a difference of a few tenths of a second per lap as far as the difference in motor mount... What I was trying to show was that the difference in motor mount for me, was a different setup approach to the entire setup.

With an identical setup, the motor mount difference is relatively minor, but it is there. Parts for the f1 aren't as plentiful as they once were, so my advice is to find parts that are available, and work your setup around over them.

In general, soft side plates, or t-plate if applicable are necessary. Soft or medium top shock spring, preloaded to remove sag, and prevent battery tray from bottoming out, since I remove side springs. Dds soft top, medium bottom spring on flowing track, opposite on tight. Light grease on discs.

I like a 1 degree front knuckle. 0 or 1d toe in. Yellow/hard front spring to start, medium if needed.

I'm not very current on tire choices, but I always liked Kyosho 20 rear, with slick 30 front for tight tracks, and team23 for large tracks.

I am not sure if you have access to a tire truer, but that would be one of the biggest investments you can get off you want to dial in the car quickly. The radial fronts are typically too much bite, and I true the grooves off, or almost off and then just drive many laps to break them in. One set of front tires can last 10 sets of rear.

I glue the inside and outside bead to the wheel, and use tire tape on the flat part of the wheel. You don't want the tire moving on the wheel. I do this on both front and rear. Front I may glue the outside sidewall higher if it still has too much bite. But that is less effective on f1 than racer... However glued up sidewalls tend to grab rcp rails less than unglued.

Definitely get one of these front bumpers, and wings...
http://www.shapeways.com/product/9FA...ionId=43538909
http://www.shapeways.com/product/VHV...ionId=41005160

They are by far the best things to use. The Kyosho are very fragile. You can glue up the sides of the bumper a little so they grab the rails less... But I didn't have issues with it.
We use the Kyosho lap timer and IC tags that go on MF19 clear bumper. Will I be able to use the Shapeways front bumper in conjunction or is it redundant
Old 2016.04.09, 06:24 AM   #10
Blf

I was thinking about a tire truer and wondered if the PN one is best? What size extension/bit is needed for our MR-03 Mini Z sized wheels?
Old 2016.04.09, 10:14 AM   #11
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

PN tire truer is excellent. What you need comes with for 03, F1, awd tires. Just need power supply.

Old 2016.04.10, 04:43 PM   #12
Blf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfisminiz View Post
PN tire truer is excellent. What you need comes with for 03, F1, awd tires. Just need power supply.
What kind of power supply ? One of my 2s lipo? Seems weird to have to do that - can't you just plug into ac power? What a out the Hudy truer with the PN tools for red mini z wheels ?
Old 2016.04.10, 07:25 PM   #13
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

I use the Hudy with pn adapter for mini z wheels and I use a 2 cell lipo to power it. I find (at least with the Hudy ) that a 12v power supply spun the truer too fast and tended to fry the tire as you tried to true it very carefully. The 7.4v lipo has got enough speed to do the job without overdoing it.

I imagine the PN truer could function the same.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.04.10, 07:43 PM   #14
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Yes 7.4 lipo works. When i used the power supply i used a Trinity or MuchMore motor machine to control the voltage...i think around 6V. A lipo is much simpler and less stuff to carry.

Old 2016.04.11, 01:08 AM   #15
Blf

So it's as easy as just clipping the two black and red clips from truer directly to their corresponding banana plugs coming out of a 2s 7.4v?

What are the motor power supplies you are speaking of that can have output adjusted? Do you have a link?

I definitely need one that can do f1 and maybe awd as well. Does the hudy have attachments for those or only PN 2wd?

And any other tips on using them or amounts to take off KS tires which are all I'm using now ?

Thanks again guys for helping me squeeze every ounce out of these cars!

Last edited by Blf; 2016.04.11 at 01:14 AM.