Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.04.15, 06:44 PM   #1
mcharles13

Send a message via ICQ to mcharles13
Mini-Z vs. Micro RS4

what are the pro's and con's.

i took a quick glance www.yourmicro.com page and they look a lot cheaper (quality) than Z's. what are the differences?
Old 2003.04.15, 07:32 PM   #2
Vagabond
Drift master

Both of them are from different catergory, so you can't compare them like that.

The micro is a 1/18 scale while the MZ is a 1/24 scale RC car. So in other words, the micro are larger than the MZ. Besides, the micro is also a 4WD while the MZ is a 2WD rear wheel drive car.

Actually, before you get any of these. Just check in your area whether there are anyone who's racing with micro or MZ. No point getting something that you don't even have a place to race, right?

As performance wise, the micro have more resembles a 1/10 touring car. Honestly, both of them are great cars, just depend on what you want. Oh... and your budget.
Old 2003.04.15, 09:40 PM   #3
Dougboy

the Micro is better in every way except for price. i thought about buying one befo the miniZ
Old 2003.04.16, 01:47 AM   #4
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

It's kinda like comparing NASCAR to F1 or something. Has not this topic been beat to death a long time ago (yawn)?

GET BOTH MCharles13 , or jump up to 10th scale, I suppose...

I hope I don't sound too harsh...

Pianoman
Old 2003.04.17, 01:22 AM   #5
2G2GOLDENSTRAT
epoch indoor racer owner

Send a message via AIM to 2G2GOLDENSTRAT
micro sux........mini-z racer is fun for a while.....but the overland is more versatile......i sold a 1/ 10 for a micro sold the micro for a mini-z then teh z for an overland and i would not trade it for any of the others....
Old 2003.04.21, 06:47 AM   #6
MazdaSpeedRX-7

Where in MD are you from?
Old 2003.04.21, 02:42 PM   #7
BobT

Which is better really depends on what you want and what you want to do with it.

My Micro RS4 handled better (box-stock) than MiniZs my friends were racing. Their cars had as much as $200 (USD) worth of hop-ups and still did not handle as nicely as my Micro. However no one is racing Micros in my area so I am buying a MiniZ. My buddies are having fun racing MiniZs on a home-built track.

I want to race so for me the MiniZ is better even though I feel the Micro RS4 is superior in performance.

Of course a 1/10th TC is even better but no one in my area has a basement that big. LOL!

So give us a list of what you want and we can better answer your question.
Old 2003.04.21, 06:13 PM   #8
ScottMcLeod

Send a message via ICQ to ScottMcLeod Send a message via AIM to ScottMcLeod Send a message via Yahoo to ScottMcLeod
Re: Mini-Z vs. Micro RS4

Quote:
Originally posted by mcharles13
i took a quick glance www.yourmicro.com page and they look a lot cheaper (quality) than Z's. what are the differences?
Cheaper quality than Mini-Z's?

I'm not sure where you got that idea, they're completely the opposite.

Out of the box, they rock. We run a stock class locally that I can occasionally participate in, and it's super fun.

Hopped up... Micro's have been known to outperform and outspeed stock 1/10th cars (which are super fast as is).

It's hard to compare though.

Micro Pros:
- Great out of box
- 4wd
- Lexan bodies (no risk of breaking little bits off and scuffing paint)
- Cheaper (price/performance)
- Durable

Micro Cons:
- More expensive out of the box
- Not as much detail in the bodies.

Mini-Z Pros:
- Fun out of box, but you start to want more speed soon.
- Nice bodies.
- Small, Almost pocket-able.

Mini-Z Cons:
- Costs a lot to hop up.
- Parts break easily.
- Low ground clearance (except overland).

... how's that for a comparison?

I don't know why I keep buying stuff for my mini-z. I can't afford it anymore :-P

It's like an addiction perhaps?
Old 2003.04.21, 11:25 PM   #9
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

Very nice comparison Scotty!

One more thing.

If you have a basement floor 10x15-20 feet you can make a pretty fun mini-z track. That's pretty small from the microRS4. Also Hotel rooms, etc...

Cheers,
Pianoman
Old 2003.04.22, 09:18 AM   #10
BobT

Talking

Scotty,

I agree with Pianoman, you were fair and unbiased.

Being a racer my quick answer would be choose what ever is being raced in your area. RC cars are IMHO ten times more fun to race than just playing with them.

Both cars are high quality proportional RC cars. Both break parts.

In real life speed kills. In RC speed breaks parts. The only death is to your credit card. LOL!
Old 2003.04.22, 10:42 AM   #11
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

Quote:
Originally posted by 2G2GOLDENSTRAT
micro sux........mini-z racer is fun for a while.....but the overland is more versatile......
Yea right... Mini-Zs of all kinds are motorised toy cars
Micro's are Small racing thoroughbreds

The Micro is everything that a Mini-Z is not, except small.
Scott is on the money when he said the Micros are cheaper to hop-up. They are too. They are also very robust.
They can be expensive if you migrate to tweakable chassis and Micro eletronics. All that stuff costs.

The Zs are fine for indoor stuff, or at least the Overland is, the Racer and F1 battle with carpet and beg for traction on wooden and tiled flooring.
(I speak from experience as I own 2 Overlands, 2 Racers and 2 F1s)

Mini-Z Racers and F1s do not enjoy asphalt, unless its smooth and your prepared to sweep the area prior to doing a run. The smallest piece of gravel or pebble unsettles the Zs with ease.
The Micro is a great parking lot car

The UberMod is back in town...
Old 2003.04.22, 11:08 AM   #12
BobT

Quote:
Originally posted by Mondo

Mini-Z Racers and F1s do not enjoy asphalt, unless its smooth and your prepared to sweep the area prior to doing a run. The smallest piece of gravel or pebble unsettles the Zs with ease.
The Micro is a great parking lot car
In all fairness the Micros and even 1/10th TCs requre the surface to be clean to perform at their best.

No a MiniZ will not do well on a parking lot. That would be like puting a Micro or TC on an off-road course. Any RC can be wrong for the enviornment they were not designed for.

That's why it is important to consider how and where the vehicle will be used when formulating the answer to "which is the best?".

There is no one answer to "which one is best" without knowledge of how and where it will be used.

My TC3 is IMHO the best 1/10th touring car. But it would suck on a MiniZ track with two foot wide lanes.

All these little toy cars are neat and fun in the enviornment they were designed for. We have lots of choices we can make. That's a good thing! But any choice made without thought to how and where it will be used can lead to disapointment with any of them.