Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.12.13, 12:58 AM   #1
Whitie

Firelap Nanoracer 2.0?

Hey guys, i was browsing t0y3ast and i realized they stocked the new Firelap 2.0's as the Firelap Nanoracer 2.0 and it now comes with a new transmitter (which is outfitted with a module that can be switched for FM or AM *not sure*) and the new cars have black plastic parts instead of dark and light gray. I was wondering if anyone has bought one, or maybe got a chance to mess with one. And if so, how is the QC on the new ones.
Whitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.14, 01:32 PM   #2
leonen
Scuderia Leone Racing

Send a message via MSN to leonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitie
Hey guys, i was browsing t0y3ast and i realized they stocked the new Firelap 2.0's as the Firelap Nanoracer 2.0 and it now comes with a new transmitter (which is outfitted with a module that can be switched for FM or AM *not sure*) and the new cars have black plastic parts instead of dark and light gray. I was wondering if anyone has bought one, or maybe got a chance to mess with one. And if so, how is the QC on the new ones.
The new Firelap Nanoracer is more than just a new name for an old product.

First of all it includes the new generation Firelap Transmitter with interchangeable RF modules, so the radio works with AM or FM. It also includes a new feature - to all the ones that the old radio had like RTL Trimming, ABS, EPA, EXP - that will let you change the curve of acceleration or turning radius. Very much as the top line transmitters.

It's also Futaba Full Compatible.

Then, the chasis has a newly rebuilt board that includes plugs for the motor, as the ones announced for the future IW02M model.

The plastics quality was increased so the new model should really be something to enjoy, instead of getting angry at because of it's problems, as the old Firelap had.

We will be receiving the first models in a few days. More to come after that.
Http://www.ScuderiaLeoneRacing com.ar/
leonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.14, 04:28 PM   #3
machine
learning the hard way

I'm waiting to hear what you think of the car, i'll be basing an order it.

The remote looks great, too bad we can't buy it sepperatly.
Old 2006.12.15, 11:48 PM   #4
leonen
Scuderia Leone Racing

Send a message via MSN to leonen
Quote:
Originally Posted by machine
I'm waiting to hear what you think of the car, i'll be basing an order it.

The remote looks great, too bad we can't buy it sepperatly.
I forgot to say that the new Electronic board includes BRAKE function, just as the Kyosho MR02.
Http://www.ScuderiaLeoneRacing com.ar/
leonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.16, 08:47 AM   #5
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonen
I forgot to say that the new Electronic board includes BRAKE function, just as the Kyosho MR02.
Can it be disabled? If not that is going to be very disappointing.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.20, 04:02 PM   #6
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
wow, just noticed these, and they look really nice. I was trying to limit myself to 2 cars, but for an RTR for $50, it sounds pretty good, especially if the transmitter works with no problems.

If anyone gets one, give us a quick review!
Old 2006.12.22, 10:35 PM   #7
tzero
Team Nomadio 007

Send a message via AIM to tzero Send a message via Yahoo to tzero
Wow I was browsing Toy(East) and they had them listed and just... Wow... seems like they did good for once. (Im going to pick one up just for the TX. lol)
BTW Anyone Notice the NanoDragon 2?
Old 2006.12.26, 12:59 AM   #8
SteveR1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzero
Wow I was browsing Toy(East) and they had them listed and just... Wow... seems like they did good for once. (Im going to pick one up just for the TX. lol)
BTW Anyone Notice the NanoDragon 2?

I just had 2 nano 2s arrive a week ago,. So far so good compared to my Mini Inferno STs. Just the initial tests before boxing up for a February B-Day present.
Old 2006.12.30, 02:36 PM   #9
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
So, it's basically another MR02 clone but better than the original 02 clone? Still waiting for the Iwaver 02M to be released.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.30, 02:37 PM   #10
pinoyboy

Send a message via AIM to pinoyboy Send a message via MSN to pinoyboy Send a message via Yahoo to pinoyboy
I read that its basically the same as before, but the only difference is the remote that is included.
Old 2006.12.30, 02:40 PM   #11
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
Looks a tad nicer then it did before with the black plastic. Wonder if it's any good worth getting these and bodies instead of the 150 dollars or so on Kyosho's MR02 for collecting and bashing round with. They say MR02 parts are compatible with it.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.30, 11:46 PM   #12
locwan

Hope this helps.

A buddy of mine that wants to get a cheap starter car had just orderd one directly from the firelap website, and it arrived today. I just want to give a quick review for those interested.

There are apparently no changes to the design and electronics of this nanoracer from the old firelaps, other than the new name and new plastic colour, and a Tx that can be used w/ futaba modules. The car is also still without brake functions.

I had my hopes up, but I was a bit disappointed, as the build quality is still subpar. But you do get what you pay for, as the price is really cheap, and the radio seems very decent and packed w/ features. This is an okay car for my buddy as his first 1:27 scale r/c car.

I had a chance to try out the car and found it to be drivable around the track, but it was only after I had finished repairing the broken motor wires and replaced the c-clips that mysteriously snapped (both of them!) when I tested the front suspension by pushing down on the car.

Another problem is an antenna hole that is in the wrong spot on the Enzo body, as the hole was direcly in the center of the rear windscreen right above the rear top-shock; there was no way that the antenna would fit there without interfering the shock's movement. So, a new hole had to be drilled in the more conventional upper right corner of the windscreen.

After the above fixes and modification, we ran the car after breaking in the motor, and the car seems fine at first, but later developed a tendency to not recenter properly coming out of corners.

I later had time to take the car apart to get a good look.. and found some more problems...

The plastic bushings that came w/ the car were no good. The center hole was too large and had a lot of slop when placed on the steering knuckls and rear axle. This caused a lot of wheel play and the wheels would not spin freely as the whole wheel wiggled on the shafts. Not a big problem if you immediately replace them w/ bearings, or even stock kyosho bushings.

When working on the car, care must be taken when trying to take the screws off, as they are made with very soft metal and strips very easily.

When the cover of the chassis came off, revealing the servo, I saw that servo gears were a bit slanted and had a lot of play. I also noticed that the "servo saver" was not fasten on properly, as the center shaft of the saver did not notch correctly into both sides of the plastic pieces that held it in place, therefore allowing it to pivot back and forth when trying to steer, making the steering feel like it is sometimes not responding. That was fixed easily by taking the "saver" apart and re-attaching the shaft properly, aligning it back into both sides of those plastic pieces. In case you're wondering why the words "servo saver" are in quotes, that is because it is not a saver at all!!! It is only a plastic piece that resembles a servo saver. It looks like Firelap just copied it for the sake of copying... it had a spring.. looks like a saver, but in fact it was one solid piece of plastic, molded to look like a servo saver!!! Very tricky here.. one can certainly still break a few servo gears if not careful.

After the car had all its pieces put back and tested, a few more laps still revealed steering that would not recenter completely at times.. (although it is very minor) A few more looks inside the servo and tests later, we concluded that it is very likely due to a weak servo motor, and binding servo gears.

Although acceptable as a starter car for someone just learning to drive slowly around the track, I would really not recommend this for racers. However, on a more positive note, the Firelap package came w/ a lot of extra parts for replacing those broken pieces. The package also came w/ an extra RM motor pod and shims (which is curious as FL did not sell a RM model), all the different sizes suspension limiters, extra C-clips, wheel nuts etc. And the best thing I liked about the stock parts are the tires. It seems like it came w/ standard soft wide tires in the back, and slighly harder tires up front, much softer and grippier than standard Kyohso RTR and ASC tires. These tires had good grip and played a big part in making the car drivable on the track, coming out of the box.

Sorry of the long winded review, hope it helps anyone considering it.
locwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.31, 01:07 AM   #13
betty.k
registered loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by locwan
Sorry of the long winded review, hope it helps anyone considering it.
not at all, in fact thanks for the concise run down

the chassis sounds like it's exactly the same as the firelap i bought a while back.
but i'm keen to get hold of a tx, if they sell them separately i'm all over it.

and for futaba users they could be a cheap source of modules.
betty.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.31, 02:26 AM   #14
Ninja
Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to Ninja Send a message via Yahoo to Ninja
I think I am going to get one just for the radio, and turn the chassis into a project/Display piece
I am a FIRM believer in "Run what ya brung"......Unless it's your MOUTH!!!
Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.12.31, 02:46 AM   #15
pinoyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja
I think I am going to get one just for the radio, and turn the chassis into a project/Display piece
Hey ninja, if your getting it just for the TX, I wouldn't mind buying the chassis off of you. Just let me know if you want to!