Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.01.01, 04:52 PM   #1
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
MR01 chassis change:

Hello there, for nostalgic purposes, I'd like to show you how to swap the chassis for the MR01 racer. I got another white Toyota Altezza MR01 from a trade and it came with some hop-up's brand new in package. This Altezza is as nice, but definetly not mint condition, so this will be my racer. Enjoy the show!
First, take apart the old chassis.

Remove the PCB, switch, and power leades.

Get the new chassis ready.

First snap the switch back in place making sure that it's in the correct position according to the label on the chassis.

Then get the power leades in place.

Place the servo case and PCB board.

This is a crucial point, make sure the leades are in the correct order, and in place before screwing it in.

Put the PCB cover on.

Assemble the front suspension.

Front bulkhead in place.

Body locking plate in place.

Front wheels on.

Rear section on.

Bottom of near complete MR01 chassis.

Front view.

Antenna mounted. One thing to note, there is a difference between the MR01 and MR15 as to where to mount the antenna, and where to bend the antenna for the appropiate length.

Line up the antenna hole on the car's body.

Body mounted on chassis.

Just some shots of wheels. These were my very first aftermarket wheels from TopCad back when the MR01 first came out!

Bottome view.

Body and chassis.

My current Mini-Z collection.

Comparing stock mint condtion, shelf queen chassis with racing chassis.

Wondering if I should swap differentials here.

Comparing bodies. You can tell which ones been fadded by time, and which ones been kept mint. I don't think the mint one ever left the box till I got it.

No, this is not lighting causeing this, one is definetly shinnier than the other.

I hope you've enjoyed your journey back into time! Later.....................

now if only Kyosho released a clear white skeleton chassis for the MA-010! Or a smoked with gold terminal MR01 chassis, either.

Last edited by marc; 2008.01.01 at 07:28 PM.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.01, 10:25 PM   #2
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Now that look's like an MR01F version. Also the early non glosscoated bodies do look brighter next to the newer glosscoated ones. I have two Lancia Stratos bodies one without the glosscoat that is brighter with the graphic colors that pop, next to the glosscoated re-release body. The glosscoat has some yellowing to it.
Old 2008.01.01, 10:37 PM   #3
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Yes, but I beleive these two are of the same era. I've only known of the white Toyota Altezza to be of the very first generation MR01's. I think time faded one of these, while the other was left mint in box. I got the mint MR01 from a guy who had a hobby shop back in the days and he kept this one for him self till he shipped it to me last week. So the body has remained in the box till I guess '99-'00 whenever the first batch of Mini-Z's came out. That MR01 remains stock where as the clear one is the MR01F conversion as you say. I tried to swap the differentials but noticed that the motor had what looked like a longer shaft for the gear or some thing that prevented the differential's gear to mesh with the motor's gear and I could not fit the gold Kyosho diff onto the MR01F. May need to do some swapping of parts to use the gold diff on the modified MR01.
Old 2008.01.02, 05:15 AM   #4
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

It is also clear that the "gold" diff is a standard MR01 type. The MR01F uses the MR02 diff, that is clear by the fact that your gears are set closer to the tire. I also think this is why you can see the MR01 ball diffs dirt cheap on ebay. Not alot you can do to use them. The original mount the motor is pushed too far over to the bushing side, that was another thing that caused handling problems on the old cars. With the MR01F mount on mine I also have better left/right turning with it equal both ways at speed.
Old 2008.01.02, 09:47 AM   #5
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Thank you Hammer for your information. So I should look at getting an MR02 diff for my racing chassis? What else do you suggest? It came with a Top Cad top rear shock, but I don't know how to mount it with this type of motor mount. Would like some advice please, thank you!
Old 2008.01.02, 10:37 AM   #6
mikey

Send a message via AIM to mikey
i had the clear blue chassis on the mr01. but unfortunately i fried the pcb when changing back to the stock grey chassis, so my mr01 is now out of commission.

one thing i noticed, i see that the mr01 you have has a grey colored servo box, the one i have has a white servo box.

i wonder if i can find a pcb that will work with my mr01...
mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.02, 10:55 AM   #7
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hi there, the servo box is actually black. It is from the Japanese issued models I beleive. It appears gray cause of the translucent chassis. I like the combination of the black parts and the clear chassis. Good luck finding the PCB, you may find it easier to get a used MR01 on ebay.
Old 2008.01.02, 06:04 PM   #8
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

I like those black servo cases better than the white ones. The white cases the plastic was way too soft, it was like running the screws into a block of soap. The black cases seem to be made from the harder stuff the mounts are cast from, way better at holding the screws. If you think of the twisting loads on a chassis from running it, the extra stiffness pays off.

I don't know about the Top Cad shocks. But heres some shock mount parts from my parts box. The MR01 mount is on the right side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shock Parts 01.jpg (180.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Shock Parts 02.jpg (145.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Shock Parts 03.jpg (132.6 KB, 22 views)
Old 2008.01.02, 06:42 PM   #9
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

So the MR01 is the shortest one of those huh? What aluminum motor mount do you suggest for this MR01 chassis? Need one that will run great shocks.
Old 2008.01.03, 01:12 AM   #10
stuZ
mini-z muckraker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
the servo box is actually black. It is from the Japanese issued models I beleive.
I think that the black boxes came along when they started putting pcb's w/ brakes in 01's, right after the Overlands were released and before the 02's.
stuZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.03, 10:07 AM   #11
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

I don't know about that, but I do remember seeing theme with the 2Fast 2Furious ready set's.
Anyway, GPM has built this MR01 for me which I will be purchasing soon.

I was thinking of swapping parts and putting these alloy bit's on my clear MR01 chassis. I've always wanted to do a clear with all silver MR01. I'm hoping that they will still have in stock the front bumper, and the carbon-alloy rear wing.
If you remember their brochures a while back showing all the parts for the MR01, they had some pretty cool front bumpers and rear wings for these cars. Also plan on getting their silver BBS wheels for it too.

I just noticed the antenna is broken. I asked if they will fix that up for me, we'll see what their responce is.

Last edited by marc; 2008.01.03 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2008.01.03, 04:45 PM   #12
russp

Quote:
I don't know about that, but I do remember seeing theme with the 2Fast 2Furious ready set's.
Anyway, GPM has built this MR01 for me which I will be purchasing soon.

I was thinking of swapping parts and putting these alloy bit's on my clear MR01 chassis. I've always wanted to do a clear with all silver MR01. I'm hoping that they will still have in stock the front bumper, and the carbon-alloy rear wing.
If you remember their brochures a while back showing all the parts for the MR01, they had some pretty cool front bumpers and rear wings for these cars. Also plan on getting their silver BBS wheels for it too.

I just noticed the antenna is broken. I asked if they will fix that up for me, we'll see what their responce is.
That is exceptionally cool. I just bought an MR01 off ebay with close to this much aluminum but no damping on side-to-side motion of the rear end. I was thinking of a way to adapt a disc damper but this solution with the springs looks way nicer and more adjustable. My mounts look very similar to yours. Do you happen to know which GPM part it is that is used for the "roll shocks" as they look like they would go right onto my car. I looked at GPM's site but most of their pics won't come up so it's hard to see.

http://www.gpmracing.us/?partnumber=FMZ25204B&c=80
russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.03, 05:40 PM   #13
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hi there, if your speaking of side-to-side roll shocks, you'll want these. FMZ25208B $18.00 Silver multi angle roll shock.
If you want up and down shock, you'll want this.
MZ350 $28.00 Single alum. damper spring mr01. I hope this helps, good luck!
Old 2008.01.03, 08:24 PM   #14
russp

Quote:
Hi there, if your speaking of side-to-side roll shocks, you'll want these. FMZ25208B $18.00 Silver multi angle roll shock.
If you want up and down shock, you'll want this.
MZ350 $28.00 Single alum. damper spring mr01. I hope this helps, good luck!
Oh man, thanks for posting. I'm getting these now (actually getting the purple ones to match my other aluminum). Lucky me they are on a blowout sale for $9. I guess that means they may be closing out their MR01 stuff which is too bad.
russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.11, 05:44 AM   #15
FrankW1029

i think i'm gonna find me a clear chassi too for the mr01 if i can't sell it and then get the alu tie-rod.

"sideways are just more fun"

Autoscales For Sale!
FrankW1029 is offline   Reply With Quote