Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.09.12, 11:22 AM   #1
alecela

Red face Fitting the Lancer Evo X body on MR02EX

Ok, I'm a bit stuck here so please help!

The MR02EX being my first mini-z, I've since then acquired MA015 DWS and MR03 2012 special edition. I've also spec up both of the later acquisitions w/ decent amount of upgrades. My 8 year old daughter recently became interested in my mini-z and my original plan was to buy her a chassis/body that she likes and let her play w/ my bone stock MR02EX!

Low and behold she picked the Alice Motors Limited Edition of Lancer Evo X 2011!!!

I spend the last two nights going thru my spare parts bin from both MA015 & MR03 but can't seem to modified the MR02EX into the right wheel base to fit the body. So now I'm looking to experts over here for help: Is there any parts I can buy to make this work? The LAST thing I want to do is to let her run w/ my heavily modified MA015 & MR03 so I'm desparately needing your help there!

Last edited by alecela; 2012.09.12 at 11:24 AM.
alecela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.12, 11:27 AM   #2
alecela

BTW, here's the spec. on the body: Wheelbase seems to be 94mm (L). Both front & rear wheel offset are 1mm. Both front & rear chassis width are 67mm.
Old 2012.09.12, 12:10 PM   #3
kryten

Send a message via MSN to kryten
Unfortunately the MR02 front end is too wide for that body,that will only fit AWD and MR03 with narrow front end fitted.
For 94mm wheelbase you will need a Rear mount, motor mount.
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.12, 01:45 PM   #4
newuser

Narrow Front

Hi, you can actually with little modification, make the MR-02 into a narrow front track with a narrow 'tower bar' set. You then need to cut the plastic arms that hold the knuckles and kingpin off flush with the chassis and then install the replacement aluminium bars top and bottom.

Try picking up Atomic's version - Set AR-245.

Hope that helps.
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.13, 02:35 AM   #5
color01

Last I recall, you can technically get the front tires (using 0N offset front wheels) under the arches with a bit of fender shaving (sanding, Dremel, etc.) and a LOT of camber. For your daughter though, unless she's an amazing driver, you don't want to run the MR02EX with a "stance" wheel setup unless you feel like breaking the chassis. I would also recommend getting a narrow front tower bar/tierod set for the MR02, the Atomic one listed above works and there's also a PN version that comes in a few more colors (if you care), part no. MR2015.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.13, 03:58 AM   #6
alecela

Great I knew I'm talking to the right bunch! Now to your suggestion, I take it that the Atomic/PN racing parts are just for the narrow front end? How'bout the motor mount? The stock MR02EX motor mount is too long and I tried to fit the spare motor mount from my MR03 it's then too short...

Thanks again in advance for your insights!
Old 2012.09.13, 06:46 AM   #7
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
motor mount options will start with what motor will you keep in her car? if a stock motor you need to select from those that accommodate non-drilled motors. there are several to choose from in this category from pn/atomic. just look for something that accommodates your wheelbase and you will be fine.

atomic ato-AR-266-V2 will do both drilled and non-drilled motors

if you have a motor that has holes drilled into the pinion side, your options grow significantly.

some suggestions:
pn-MR2295S
pn-MR2395S
pn-MR9094S
ato-AR-271
arch2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.13, 09:53 AM   #8
imxlr8ed

I would think a 0 or -1 offset front wheel would work fine for that body. Personally, I've never found a body I couldn't shove an 02 chassis into yet.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.14, 12:26 AM   #9
xmodcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecela View Post
How'bout the motor mount? The stock MR02EX motor mount is too long and I tried to fit the spare motor mount from my MR03 it's then too short...
Doesn't the MR02EX come with different motor mounts? But can't you just move the t-plate forward to make it 94mm? Most MR02EX that I've seen are 98mm bodies, so you should be able to just move the t-plate forward. Just make sure you've got the right t-plate for the motor mount.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.14, 06:34 AM   #10
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
do arr kits come with the alternate kit parts? i had thought only the chassis kits did that. then again, i haven't bought an arr or rtr in many, many years.
arch2b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.15, 12:53 AM   #11
alecela

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodcanuck View Post
Doesn't the MR02EX come with different motor mounts? But can't you just move the t-plate forward to make it 94mm? Most MR02EX that I've seen are 98mm bodies, so you should be able to just move the t-plate forward. Just make sure you've got the right t-plate for the motor mount.
No. I guess the EX package probably skips all the spare parts. Moreover, the the stock T-plate is already in the most forward position that's why I couldn't shorten it anymore. Tx anyway for the suggestion.
Old 2012.09.15, 12:54 AM   #12
alecela

Quote:
Originally Posted by imxlr8ed View Post
I would think a 0 or -1 offset front wheel would work fine for that body. Personally, I've never found a body I couldn't shove an 02 chassis into yet.
That's encouraging . I shall go shopping today and see. Tx.
Old 2012.09.15, 12:56 PM   #13
alecela

Ok I went shopping to day and unfortunately no luck in terms of finding these parts locally. Luckily our sponsor TinyRC seems to have some of these parts in stock.

I have tried to look up these parts, while I can't seem to find any picture of PN-MR2015, I did manage to locate AR-245.

As per new user's suggestion: I have to cut away the lower plastic arms to install the lower & upper tower bars. However, I fail to see how I can 'fix' the lower tower bar to the body of the car? Moreover, I presume I'll be needing shortened tie rod?

This project is starting to add up?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MR02EX.jpg (469.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 2012.09.15, 01:34 PM   #14
byebye

Does this help?

You will need the upper and lower bars for an MR-015 and you will need the MR-015 tie rods.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote