Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.03.12, 11:54 PM   #1
byebye

New Mclaren (GTR Long tail)

Well I think it's time to post up some info and pics of my Mclaren collection and testing.
First the pics-

My first impression of the autoscale bodies and the "hand polish" look is pretty good. You can see where the primary coat was glossy and the decals afterward are not. It doesn't look bad though. I think they did a really good job on this one. The body is huge! You can see compared to the LM version.

Now for testing I initially ran it with the stock wheel offsets and 20 degree slick R's up front and Kyosho 20 slicks in the rear. It had a ton of understeer. I'm not a fan of plasic ASC wheels so I went ahead and swapped the narrow +3 fronts out with 0 wide running Kyosho 20 degree tires. What a difference. This thing really puts the power down with those offsets. I went from understeer to oversteer. After about 30 laps I went and pulled the BAW(big ass wing) from the package. Now I don't know if its the weight or design but it really stabalizes the rearend. I can run flat out around corners. I'm very impressed so far. Tomorrow I'll be running it with the timing system and compare it to my LM Mclaren times.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 12:30 AM   #2
color01

Hm, I have a ton of mounted +0W Kyosho 20 slicks too, this might be worth a shot. On my car I'm still using narrow fronts (+3N PN 20 slicks) but I currently have the rear wing off, making the car more agile. Have you tried Kyosho 30 slicks up front yet?

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 02:54 AM   #3
FrankW1029

neat!...gonna get me one or two

"sideways are just more fun"

Autoscales For Sale!
FrankW1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 07:01 AM   #4
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Hm, I have a ton of mounted +0W Kyosho 20 slicks too, this might be worth a shot. On my car I'm still using narrow fronts (+3N PN 20 slicks) but I currently have the rear wing off, making the car more agile. Have you tried Kyosho 30 slicks up front yet?
No I have not tried 30's. It would probably be a little less twitchy. I'll have to shoot some video. I think the 30's would work also. Or maybe some suspension tweaking to get the rear to stick. That really was the problem at first.

Also I am running alloy wheels all around. Before I was running wide alloy up front and the stock plastic wheels in the back. I think it was too light in the rear. When I went to alloy +3's it settled down and was more precise. When I put the BAW on it was more stable and more precise.

One thing not pictured but should be noted is I had to key hole the window on the inside where the damper sits. I am running the PN CF ML damper and the post was hitting the window inside.

The body also sits pretty low front and back. I could raise the rear end at the motor pod to fix that which I may today. The front has the medium suspension limiters. The tires will rub but only by hand. On the track the car runs flat and quick around the corners which tells me it's not bottoming out.

Now I've ran this setup before with a VDS body. It worked but the body was never forgiving when you brushed the wall. This Mclaren is.

Kris
Old 2009.03.13, 08:45 AM   #5
herman

is the baw part of the kyosho package? kinda looks different from the autoscale version...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.13, 10:54 AM   #6
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
is the baw part of the kyosho package? kinda looks different from the autoscale version...
Yeah it came with the white body version. I thought maybe it was a Kyosho thing which would be unusual but apparently it's not-
Old 2009.03.18, 01:57 AM   #7
herman

weird...

this is the version i saw...

so you mean they have two rear wings for the mclaren f1 white body? cool...

you got a nice mclaren collection going on there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0260.jpg (495.6 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by herman; 2009.03.18 at 02:07 AM.
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.18, 08:09 AM   #8
byebye

Here is mine with the big wing. I'll post more pics after work.

Kris
Old 2009.03.18, 09:53 AM   #9
hrdrvr
MBMZR

^ That looks like an 1/18th scale wing Its freaking huge! Since I broke the one that came on my ASC, I was going to look for one of those to replace it with, but now Im not so sure. I think Ill fab something up with what I have now, as thats borderline ridiculous. The body is allready huge (check it out next to that Murc), and that wing looks out of place on it!

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.18, 11:30 AM   #10
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
^ That looks like an 1/18th scale wing Its freaking huge! Since I broke the one that came on my ASC, I was going to look for one of those to replace it with, but now Im not so sure. I think Ill fab something up with what I have now, as thats borderline ridiculous. The body is allready huge (check it out next to that Murc), and that wing looks out of place on it!
It is large even on the track. It helps with stability for the rear end. I tested it with no wing, then the small wing then the large wing and the large wing made a difference with stability. The rear offset(I'm running +3) helps keep the car from traction rolling with the large wing on.

Kris
Old 2009.03.18, 11:54 AM   #11
hrdrvr
MBMZR

I found the car was plenty stable with the regular ASC wing, so I think Im going to fab something up in between the two. I think Ill end up something more along the lines of the height of the ASC wing, but with larger side dams like the BAW version I think keeping it closer to the size of the one I started with with be more appealing for me to look at, lol.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.19, 04:53 AM   #12
color01

I just got mine working perfectly -- cut out a lot of the rear end, and used either no wing or the small wing.

Unfortunately it got stepped on (like... Godzilla'd) just 5 minutes later, and now I am out one McLaren GTR. I hope I can get another one since I really like it, but if there aren't any more I'll try the Super GT Nissan GT-R or stick to my old bodies.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.03.19, 05:53 AM   #13
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
I just got mine working perfectly -- cut out a lot of the rear end, and used either no wing or the small wing.

Unfortunately it got stepped on (like... Godzilla'd) just 5 minutes later, and now I am out one McLaren GTR. I hope I can get another one since I really like it, but if there aren't any more I'll try the Super GT Nissan GT-R or stick to my old bodies.
Damn!!!! Stepped on????

I haven't had a chance to run more testing. We pulled up the track on Monday night to get the cars in the garage. I just need to do more testing and adjusting and I'm sure I could get it setup without a wing. I also didn't have all the parts installed in the body and the glass was not completely glued in.

Kris
Old 2009.03.19, 04:43 PM   #14
totalazneclipse
Noob Extraordinaire

Nice collection and after hearing your results, it sounds like I may have to get one. Good luck on continuing your testing.

All Speed Hobbies
totalazneclipse is offline   Reply With Quote