Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2016.12.16, 07:57 AM   #1
wellco3

Question Which one!? beginner question

Hello all,

I started my interest in RC a few years ago, and have only built a Tamiya M-05 mini 1:10 scale kit. I live in an apartment and don't have a lot of space, but would like to expand my interest in the hobby of RC. Since space is an issue, I thought what better way to get more involved in the hobby than to delve into the world of mini RC with 1:28 scale. Problem is, I don't know where to start!

I have done some research and the 1:28 scale segment of the world of RC seems less popular, but the possibilities are endless! If one digs into it much, it's obvious that the information out there can be overwhelming. So, that's where I am hoping all you 1:27 and 1:28 scale experts can help me. I'm not sure where to begin, do I start with a Kyosho mini-z, the Atomic AMZ, the Turnigy TZ4, Sino Hobby mini-q?

I know that people will have their favorites, but can someone give me a basic rundown of the pros and cons of a few of the more popular 1:28 scale? I am hoping to buy a kit in the next few weeks and could use some guidance. Thanks in advance of any help anyone would be willing to provide.

Best,
wellco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.16, 08:52 AM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Even with RC experience getting into mini Z is tricky. I usually recommend an mr03 in some form (asf, sport or VE) as they are a bit easier to learn the basics of driving/racing . With fewer parts to swap to tune handling characteristics you can focus on learning racing line and get the hang of it in short order.

Once confidence builds you can try out all the crazy kits they have available ( the tz4 isn't highly recommended though,

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.20, 08:38 PM   #3
wellco3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Even with RC experience getting into mini Z is tricky. I usually recommend an mr03 in some form (asf, sport or VE) as they are a bit easier to learn the basics of driving/racing . With fewer parts to swap to tune handling characteristics you can focus on learning racing line and get the hang of it in short order.

Once confidence builds you can try out all the crazy kits they have available ( the tz4 isn't highly recommended though,
Thanks so much for the reply. I purchased a mr03. I see that many of the 1/27 rtr kits such as the mini-q are less expensive for similar specs as the Kyosho, but I have found that the support for the more well known, mainstream brands like Kyosho is better overall, and since I am just starting out with the 1/27 scale, it's probably for the best.

Thanks again.
Old 2016.12.22, 08:50 PM   #4
herman

Welcome to the forums! Where are you from? Usually this would also be a factor... if your area has a shop or track... the more fun you will have.

What type of mr03 did you get? It is a good start, and parts are aplenty... the mr03s comes pretty much rtr... but later on you might want to consider the regular mr03 (you will be able to use better radios) or even a mr03ve... when you start to move up to these, modifications become kinda intimidating at first...

As you mentioned there are now a bunch of third party manufacturers making 1/27 parts and even different chassis... which can get pretty expensive pretty quick...

but it's all up to you as to how far to go and how much you want to spend... but initially keep thing simple at the start and see if you like it...

Good luck...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.25, 12:42 AM   #5
wellco3

Hello herman,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased a MR-03S.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/MINI-Z-...S_p_23051.html

My local shop is probably quite limited on their parts and support for mini-z, there is little interest in 1/27 or 1/28 scale locally, there is much more focus on 1/10 short course and 1/10 touring car, and crawling (1/10 Vaterra Ascender, etc.). I live in a small town so interest in a lot of different scales and classes is narrow so I don't see much happening in mini scale 1/27 or 1/28.

The mini-z arrived the other day and I took it out and tried to get it going, but I hate to admit that I was having some difficulty getting the car and transmitter calibrated properly. I thought I followed the directions correctly, but it seems I have done something wrong since I cannot seem to keep the vehicle from pulling left or right. Anyway, I'll have to see if some youtube videos can help me out with this situation.

Thanks again for your reply and the welcome to this community.

Last edited by wellco3; 2016.12.25 at 12:46 AM.
Old 2016.12.25, 02:51 PM   #6
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellco3 View Post
Hello herman,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased a MR-03S.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/MINI-Z-...S_p_23051.html

My local shop is probably quite limited on their parts and support for mini-z, there is little interest in 1/27 or 1/28 scale locally, there is much more focus on 1/10 short course and 1/10 touring car, and crawling (1/10 Vaterra Ascender, etc.). I live in a small town so interest in a lot of different scales and classes is narrow so I don't see much happening in mini scale 1/27 or 1/28.

The mini-z arrived the other day and I took it out and tried to get it going, but I hate to admit that I was having some difficulty getting the car and transmitter calibrated properly. I thought I followed the directions correctly, but it seems I have done something wrong since I cannot seem to keep the vehicle from pulling left or right. Anyway, I'll have to see if some youtube videos can help me out with this situation.

Thanks again for your reply and the welcome to this community.
I would have recommended an awd but I didn't get to you in time. Given that space is limited and lack of interest/track means you'll be running it on carpet or hard floors or concrete. In which case an awd can handle all those surfaces.

The Sports series radio is not the best. It won't give you the level of adjustment you need to really get the full potential out of it so don't be discouraged .

What surface are you running on when you are having problems running straight? The stock differential with these is not adjustable so traction is all about throttle control and steering angle at that point. It could also be that your wheel nuts on either or both sides of the front wheels is too tight. This can cause the car to pull one way or the other. Same for the rear end, everything should be smooth.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016.12.25, 08:40 PM   #7
wellco3

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye View Post
I would have recommended an awd but I didn't get to you in time. Given that space is limited and lack of interest/track means you'll be running it on carpet or hard floors or concrete. In which case an awd can handle all those surfaces.

The Sports series radio is not the best. It won't give you the level of adjustment you need to really get the full potential out of it so don't be discouraged .

What surface are you running on when you are having problems running straight? The stock differential with these is not adjustable so traction is all about throttle control and steering angle at that point. It could also be that your wheel nuts on either or both sides of the front wheels is too tight. This can cause the car to pull one way or the other. Same for the rear end, everything should be smooth.
Byebye,

Thanks for the message. I ran it on a tile floor to try out for the first time. Since I wasn't doing well with the calibration, I gave it up after a while and have had to leave it until mid week this week. I'll get it out again and see what I can do to calibrate it as best I can. I would like to upgrade to a better transmitter since I have to agree, even with the limited amount of time I spent running the car, it doesn't seem like a transmitter I want to keep for long. As you have indicated, I'm sure there are better out there.

As far as an AWD, what mini-z would you recommend for a noob like me? I thought for my first mini, I would go with something inexpensive since I am so new to both RC in general, and the mini scene, which is why I chose something inexpensive like the MR-03S. If an AWD isn't significantly more complicated than the 2WD version, perhaps I could get another one (who doesn't need more RC cars around the house? LOL).

I hadn't thought about the wheel nuts and making sure they are properly tightened and not too tight, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them as soon as I'm able. Goes to show the things one doesn't think of when so new to RC, LOL.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.
Old 2017.01.05, 07:52 PM   #8
Nsxtat

You are probably fish tailing under power due to poor tires that came with the kit and the surface being less than ideal to run on. The mini z is setup alot like a pan car where it should only be run on a certain type of surface. You can build your own track by purchasing Eva tiles which are exercise mats and you can cut pvc pipes to build barriers like this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-01-05_20.20.07-1485x842.jpg (258.1 KB, 16 views)
Nsxtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.05, 08:03 PM   #9
byebye

Sorry for the late reply. Since you have already purchased the mr-03s you could purchase the MA-020s. The radio to buy would then be the Kyosho 432PT radio. It's a multi-model memory radio that has a lot of adjustment needed to get the most out of the Sports series cars. It is quite a high buy in but it's only the one time and after that you can continue to buy more Sports series cars and add them to the radio.

Kris

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellco3 View Post
Byebye,

Thanks for the message. I ran it on a tile floor to try out for the first time. Since I wasn't doing well with the calibration, I gave it up after a while and have had to leave it until mid week this week. I'll get it out again and see what I can do to calibrate it as best I can. I would like to upgrade to a better transmitter since I have to agree, even with the limited amount of time I spent running the car, it doesn't seem like a transmitter I want to keep for long. As you have indicated, I'm sure there are better out there.

As far as an AWD, what mini-z would you recommend for a noob like me? I thought for my first mini, I would go with something inexpensive since I am so new to both RC in general, and the mini scene, which is why I chose something inexpensive like the MR-03S. If an AWD isn't significantly more complicated than the 2WD version, perhaps I could get another one (who doesn't need more RC cars around the house? LOL).

I hadn't thought about the wheel nuts and making sure they are properly tightened and not too tight, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them as soon as I'm able. Goes to show the things one doesn't think of when so new to RC, LOL.

Anyway, thanks again for your reply.
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.06, 02:36 PM   #10
Tammer

Another radio option for the sports series is the FlySky it4s. I have binded this to my sports series models with no issue. There is a discussion on it here some where or you can PM me for any details.

However you must be sure you are using the original sports series and not the sports 2. I can not confirm if the flysky it4s will bind with the second series of sports models.
Tammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.08, 01:00 AM   #11
herman

Practically agree with all of the above posts...

Probably the biggest part upgrade for the moment would be better tires that would suit the surface you run on...

Next would be to learn throttle control to avoid spin outs during turns... slow in fast out is the usual rule with good traction... however with low traction tires you are liable to spin out when you gun it coming out of the turn....

Going into a turn, practice slow in and slow out at first... then try picking up the speed coming out of the turn to determine just how fast you can go out without spinning out...

Any sudden acceleration with low grip tires while your wheels are turned may cause a spin out. So at the moment take things slow...

As for the awd, yes it will provide more traction and would be less prone to spinning out. Just get the "s" sport version so it will be compatible with the radio of your mr03s.

Hope this helps
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 09:14 PM   #12
wellco3

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions, I really appreciate the pointers you all have provided. As time and funds allow, I'll definitely be looking into a new transmitter and upgrades. The suggestion of the Eva tiles and pipes is a good option to practice on and learn how to properly handle the MR-03.

Best regards to all,