Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2019.06.25, 04:19 PM   #31
mugler

In a few full fledged competitive stock class races ( so not entry level) we experimented with running 3500 lipo at 54/8 gearing alongside AAA nimh open geared 70/3500 power plants ...its worth a try by any venue running this class to see how it pans out at the end as we didnt have the chance to get equally skilled drivers behind both platforms...our results were even though the top speed of the open geared nimh cars were clearly higher, the lipo car still took care of business handily due to much higher punch out of corners (also more experienced driver) , but anyway that maybe one way to bring the pan cars into competitive stock class racing.
mugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.25, 05:08 PM   #32
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I am quite reluctant to run 2S in anything called stock... even with a gearing limitation, it creates too much gray area to consider. It is also highly layout dependent.

In my shakedown of my superstock car with lipo at brooklyn hobbies, I couldn't keep up to the pace of most of the drivers, and they are on a small circuit. I had 10/53 gearing, and they just walked away on the straight and i couldn't close the gap. The majority of corners on that circuit are ones where you roll through the corner and are reducing radius corners with only one real acceleration zone... it is also a field of really fast drivers.

In due time, I think there will be space for a 2S 3500kv class... but I don't think we are the yet.
Old 2019.06.25, 05:32 PM   #33
mugler

I get what you're saying about the grey area... I'm hoping some venue could conclude the testing we kinda started at our track but couldn't conclude it will take a field of closely skilled drivers running a whole bunch of races for a while with those two platforms on the track to see if there is or isn't any parity.

Im not sure if i understand your 2nd paragraph clearly..are you saying the 5500 open geard nimh cars were faster than your 53/10 3500 lipo car in SS class? we did conclude the testing combining those two platforms in SS (open gearing for both platforms allowed) ended us up in super close competition, the lipo 3500 cars settled on 53/12 and the 5500 nimh 53/10-11...the track was larger so the nimh car had a chance to utilize its top end power band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
In due time, I think there will be space for a 2S 3500kv class... but I don't think we are the yet.
I think even now 3500/lipo at 54/8 gearing cars by themselves will make for a very nice parallel to nimh stock class speedwise speaking.

Last edited by mugler; 2019.06.25 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2019.06.25, 06:25 PM   #34
EMU
EMUracing

I was testing my SS car during a race session practice. They only run open gear stock at the track, no SS. The car was a couple tenths off the pace of the stock cars in a 14x7 tile track with 1.5 tile lane width.

Figuring out BOP is not easy, and takes quite a few sessions and layouts to get it right as you pointed out...
Old 2019.06.25, 07:52 PM   #35
mugler

Oh I see & not sure what's going on there...I think a 2s/3500 car geared rightshould take care of a any stock car on any gearing..given the tiny dimensions of the track I think 54/8 (13.5 or 12.5 rotor is fine) is the way to go even though this will produce a big drag brake effect which i know its not your preferred style of driving.
Old 2019.06.25, 11:48 PM   #36
tommy_greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Edel, we run AAA brushed mostly in the entry level class. The less restrictive competitive stock uses mostly brushless 3500kv motors, but still AAA. For stock racing, lipo is too fast so AAA is still the standard for stock.

In modified, lipo and brushless is very common now. I don't know if you have kept up to date with some of the chassis offerings on the market, but there are more options now than even a couple years ago. I have been running the GL RACING GLR, and like it. It is a mini pan car essentially.

Be careful Eugene. Edel has an awesome xpower car that is still competitive. It would be nice to see him in the future racing again with us. Hopefully this winner or fall season he's welcome the Comedown RC car world. Between edel and Roland they are the ones to reckon with in modify the class. We just need Maj to come back to.
Old 2019.06.27, 06:45 AM   #37
tommy_greeneyes

Saturday practice

In 10 days we will have our Summer Shootout mini z trophy race July 7th. The track will be open for practice Saturday 10am -8pm. You will get the opportunity to get your set up right on the largest mini z track in the East Coast. We will have mini z racers from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Maryland. There will be practice that Sunday morning of the race.There will be practice that Sunday morning of the race.10am -11:45am first qualifier will go off at 12:00pm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190627-065645_PicsArt.jpg (230.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by tommy_greeneyes; 2019.06.27 at 06:48 AM.
tommy_greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.27, 07:42 AM   #38
egonzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_greeneyes View Post
Be careful Eugene. Edel has an awesome xpower car that is still competitive. It would be nice to see him in the future racing again with us. Hopefully this winner or fall season he's welcome the Comedown RC car world. Between edel and Roland they are the ones to reckon with in modify the class. We just need Maj to come back to.

Hey Tommy,

I might surprise you one of these weekends. My son has a baseball tournament on Sunday and I won't be able to make this race. Good Luck

THE PLACE FOR EVERYTHING RC

www.majsrc.com

Friday Night Mini-z Racing 7PM

<<< Team Driver for MHS / R1Wurks / DG DESIGNS >>>
egonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.27, 08:39 PM   #39
art4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugler View Post
Oh I see & not sure what's going on there...I think a 2s/3500 car geared rightshould take care of a any stock car on any gearing..given the tiny dimensions of the track I think 54/8 (13.5 or 12.5 rotor is fine) is the way to go even though this will produce a big drag brake effect which i know its not your preferred style of driving.

Yeah, a 2s 3500kV lithium car should be pretty darn quick, I can't image a NiMH 5500kv with any gearing able to keep up. We run our "Super Stock" class as lithium 2s 3500kV with 54/13 or 54/14 gearing. Times for the top drivers are only 0.1-0.2s off the full modified times on a 20x12 tile track, and some are faster than mod as well. There's still an advantage with the full mod cars down the back straight, but in the infield it's close.

When geared down to 54/9 on a small HFAY layout the lithium 3500kv still felt a bit more powerful than the nimh 5500 at the same gearing, the lithium felt like it had more torque.
art4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.06.27, 11:57 PM   #40
tommy_greeneyes

Edel.👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by egonzalez View Post
Hey Tommy,

I might surprise you one of these weekends. My son has a baseball tournament on Sunday and I won't be able to make this race. Good Luck
Thanks buddy. Keep a lookout for the next big race August 18th weekend. Yeah I'm keeping mini z racing alive. Have big plans and RC car world can't announce on yet.
Old 2019.07.04, 07:14 PM   #41
Qball41

Question about July 7th rules

A few of you here know me. I race in a small group in Florida, and hope to come up a couple times a year to race with you all. I can't make this race, but want to better understand rules so I am ready for future races (maybe the August race).

In the Kyosho Stock Class and the 70 Comp class, would LM chassis with the 102mm wheelbase be allowed?
Old 2019.07.04, 08:24 PM   #42
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball41 View Post
A few of you here know me. I race in a small group in Florida, and hope to come up a couple times a year to race with you all. I can't make this race, but want to better understand rules so I am ready for future races (maybe the August race).

In the Kyosho Stock Class and the 70 Comp class, would LM chassis with the 102mm wheelbase be allowed?
LM is permitted in both classes. In 70 comp, you can use any aftermarket upgrade or chassis with AAA cells. Kyosho stock is restricted to kyosho chassis, plastic mounts and gear differential. 94/98mm cars may use the mz217 MM2 mount.
Old 2019.07.04, 10:46 PM   #43
Qball41

Thanks Eugene! Look forward to racing with you again!
Old 2019.07.05, 04:07 PM   #44
EMU
EMUracing

Same here, you're a fast one!
Old 2019.07.08, 07:39 AM   #45
egonzalez

Race Results

Do we have the race results/videos of the mains?

THE PLACE FOR EVERYTHING RC

www.majsrc.com

Friday Night Mini-z Racing 7PM

<<< Team Driver for MHS / R1Wurks / DG DESIGNS >>>
egonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote