Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.10, 09:27 PM   #1
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Best motor for ADband

I was wondering what motors are safe for ADband? What is the best and fastest motor for ADband?
TheRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.10, 09:31 PM   #2
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

I really like the Atomic AD motor. I am trying the PN AD motor on my ASF and it seems to be running well. I think you could do either one of those.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.10, 10:11 PM   #3
Felix2010

For AD-Band there are a lot of safe motors. A lot of fast ones too. I agree with Spoon - I like the Atomic AD-Stock motor a lot, it would be a good choice. The PN Speedy-AD is OK, on paper it's basically a re-labeled PN S03. The Atomic STOCK-R is a favorite of many people, myself included - It's great for AD. I'd put it right next to the Atomic AD-Stock. Another good one is the Atomic STOCK motor (AR-030), I got turned onto this one by reading its praises posted by Cristian Tabush. It is big-pinion friendly.
A motor I have yet to try is the PN Speedy 07, the bb-version or the new bushing version. These are supposed pretty fast and plenty safe even for stock PCB's; With AD-Band it would be even better.
All these motors are also safe for the 2.4gHZ ASF PCB which has a 2x2 3010 FET layout same as the AD-PCB.
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.10, 10:17 PM   #4
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2010 View Post
For AD-Band there are a lot of safe motors. A lot of fast ones too. I agree with Spoon - I like the Atomic AD-Stock motor a lot, it would be a good choice. The PN Speedy-AD is OK, on paper it's basically a re-labeled PN S03. The Atomic STOCK-R is a favorite of many people, myself included - It's great for AD. I'd put it right next to the Atomic AD-Stock. Another good one is the Atomic STOCK motor (AR-030), I got turned onto this one by reading its praises posted by Cristian Tabush. It is big-pinion friendly.
A motor I have yet to try is the PN Speedy 07, the bb-version or the new bushing version. These are supposed pretty fast and plenty safe even for stock PCB's; With AD-Band it would be even better.
All these motors are also safe for the 2.4gHZ ASF PCB which has a 2x2 3010 FET layout same as the AD-PCB.
Can U run hot motors with ADband since it has 2x2 3010 fets?

Last edited by TheRinger; 2008.03.10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2008.03.11, 01:46 AM   #5
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Whats the opinion of running an Atomic Chili? I want to know if I can run my Ad or 2.4 car for Modified class at the Atomic race without having to change the fets.

Has anyone tried this motor?
Old 2008.03.11, 06:29 AM   #6
Felix2010

@Ringer - It depends on what you call a "hot" motor. The simple answer would be no hot motors for stock AD-Band FETs. That's just me. 2x2 3010's allows you to run some motors that aren't recommended for 1x2 3010 PCBs, like the Atomic AD-Stock and the PN Speedy AD. The Anima/Anima II, T2, Z2, and Chili are all motors that I would not recommend running on a stock AD-board. The chance of frying an FET is too great.

@EMU - I hear ya man, I'd love to be able to keep my AD-Band and ASF PCB's stock. But for the Chili, I would take Cristian's advice I saw from another thread and at least run one-side of 4562 FETs on an AD/ASF PCB to be safe. I like the 2x2 3010 layout a lot, and I have posted a question as to whether adding one extra layer of 3010's to make a 2x3 3010 stack would be a good alternative to swapping one or both sides of the AD/ASF PCB's 3010's for 4562's. I haven't heard anything yet.
Old 2008.03.11, 07:23 PM   #7
GIHOSU
Unregistered Abuser

I just put the PN in last week, and run about 7 hours of practice. I like the tourque of the PN AD compared to the Speedy 05 I was abusing. I am curious to know how the behavior of the Atomic is compared to the PN.
GIHOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.12, 08:33 PM   #8
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

[QUOTE=Felix2010;294008]@Ringer - It depends on what you call a "hot" motor. The simple answer would be no hot motors for stock AD-Band FETs. That's just me. 2x2 3010's allows you to run some motors that aren't recommended for 1x2 3010 PCBs, like the Atomic AD-Stock and the PN Speedy AD. The Anima/Anima II, T2, Z2, and Chili are all motors that I would not recommend running on a stock AD-board. The chance of frying an FET is too great.

Yeah that what I meant by hot motor was motors that require 2x3 fet stack, but I heard that that 2x2 fet stack would work, but I guess thats fets bigger than 3010. thanks for clearing that up.
Old 2008.03.12, 09:14 PM   #9
AlloyENZO

I have the Speedy 07 BB and all I can say is wow! With a 6t pinion I can outrun anyone on the track. It is so smooth it hurts, lol. Everyone keeps asking me what I am doing and all I can say is BB all around helps!
AlloyENZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.12, 11:57 PM   #10
Felix2010

@Ringer - Motor's for which 2x3 FETs are recommended are not AD-Band-friendly 99% of the time. For motors that I mentioned like the T2, Z2, and Chili, Atomic recommends at least 2x2 4562-FET stack. A 2x2 4562 FET stack is a very durable and fast setup (Or a 2x2 PN-AN0113 FET stack is another option), quite a few drivers prefer this stack. I know that PN recommends a 2x3 FET stack for their Anima and Anima II motors - But PN doesn't specify a 2x3 stack of what FET. A 2x2 4562 (2x2 AN0113) stack should be fine for the Anima/Anima II also.
I like the 3010 FET, but it has its weaknesses compared to the 4562 and PN's AN0113 FET. The AD-Band PCB and the new ASF PCB with their 2x2 3010 FETs are nice and can handle a good amount of current, but from my research the vast majority of people that have tried the 2x2 3010 stock-AD PCB with the Anima, the Chili, the T2, and the Z2 have fried their FETs. A few elite drivers I heard have used some of these motors with the stock AD-band PCB, but it is not a chance I suggest taking if you want to keep your 3010's safe.

@GIHOSU - I personally like the Atomic AD-Stock motor better than the PN Speedy-AD. Both motors have good torque. RPM-wise, I believe the Atomic AD motor is faster.
Old 2008.03.13, 07:32 AM   #11
GIHOSU
Unregistered Abuser

Thanks Felix,
I rely on motor and gearing changes to run different tracks. The classes I run only allow stock electronics, and the tracks I run are on the small side, except for Action RC on SI. Is it true that the 2.4 has the same "motor limit" as the AD? I would like for my practice and set-up time to relate to the 2.4....
GIHOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.13, 11:49 AM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The motor output is the same on the 2.4 as the Ad-Band.