Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Kyosho

Old 2019.03.28, 06:48 PM   #1
Smokey_truck

Formula board swapped from AM to Dasmikro ASF

I swapped Formula board from AM to Dasmikro ASF, only two wires are wired to pot but pot wire is bridged to 3v side, steering is not working good, either turns left or right not progressive like regular miniz. Is there any advise I can have to solve the issue.

Smokey
Old 2019.03.28, 07:45 PM   #2
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
You need to run 3 wires. AM used an analog arrangement with 2 wires, where the ASF uses a more precise digital arrangement. When you wire it up, if the center wire (wire 2) goes to the 2nd pad on the board. Wire 1 and 3 go around it. If the servo pulls away from center, then reverse wires 1 and 3 and servo will center. Then reverse the steering channel if needed. If steering is reversed and you do not want to reverse the steering on the radio, you would need to swap wire 1 and 3 as well as the servo motor wires.

Hope this info helps.
Old 2019.03.28, 08:16 PM   #3
Smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
You need to run 3 wires. AM used an analog arrangement with 2 wires, where the ASF uses a more precise digital arrangement. When you wire it up, if the center wire (wire 2) goes to the 2nd pad on the board. Wire 1 and 3 go around it. If the servo pulls away from center, then reverse wires 1 and 3 and servo will center. Then reverse the steering channel if needed. If steering is reversed and you do not want to reverse the steering on the radio, you would need to swap wire 1 and 3 as well as the servo motor wires.

Hope this info helps.
Thanks EMU, initially I wired that way, unfortunately the servo motor kept running, after disconnected the wire it stopped. So I bridged the middle one and one side of the pot. Not sure why servo motor is running without doing anything on the controller when 3v is connected to one side on the POT. Any ideas?

Smokey
Old 2019.03.28, 08:41 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

A picture or diagram of how you have it wired would help diagnose it.
Old 2019.03.28, 09:23 PM   #5
Smokey_truck

Quote:
A picture or diagram of how you have it wired would help diagnose it.
See the picture, excuse two green wires, could not find more of such thin wires anywhere

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4HCUriCBNyteP7ZG7

Last edited by Smokey_truck; 2019.03.28 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2019.03.28, 09:47 PM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

If the servo is not in the assembly, and pot is not fully centered, the motor will run trying to center. You know when the pot is wired directly when you rotate the resistor past center and the motor switches direction.
Old 2019.03.28, 10:08 PM   #7
Smokey_truck

Quote:
If the servo is not in the assembly, and pot is not fully centered, the motor will run trying to center. You know when the pot is wired directly when you rotate the resistor past center and the motor switches direction.
Well when it was in the pod, it was not doing anything, was there a different pot used in old board and do I have to use a different pot for newer asf boards? Just trying to remove all variables.

Thanks again for your help

Smokey
Old 2019.03.28, 10:56 PM   #8
EMU
EMUracing

Pretty sure it's the same pot used in both.
Old 2019.03.30, 03:57 PM   #9
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Have you tried swapping the servo motor wires? dasmicro asf boards are expecting an 03 servo motor and I have had motor running issues when mis -wiring an 02 type servo motor onto an asf style board.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.30, 05:38 PM   #10
Smokey_truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Have you tried swapping the servo motor wires? dasmicro asf boards are expecting an 03 servo motor and I have had motor running issues when mis -wiring an 02 type servo motor onto an asf style board.

It is funny, board has M+ and M- but the picture in the description in excel EC shows opposite, I do not want to smoke the board, I already had problem with one so this is second board. I will try and see, just will run opposite direction which anyway I reversed in the controller.

Smokey
Old 2019.03.30, 08:12 PM   #11
herman

Try putting it all together with the gears in.... here's my theory, I believe the servo motor will keep spinning if there isn't any resistance from the pot that will keep it centered (hope somebody can confirm this)...

I plan on doing the same thing.... converting an am f1 to asf by swapping out the board and using a das mikro board... so I'm pretty interested and watching closely here... my questions are pretty much the same pertaining to wiring the pot and servo motor...

I might also have a spare mr03 board that I can use... question... if I do use the mr03 board, i only change the servo motor right?

Hope this helps... and good luck
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019.03.31, 08:03 AM   #12
EMU
EMUracing

Im not at home, but have this image on my phone... it is ASF mr03 pcb, you can just see the wiring.

This is my only mr03 PCB in an f1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190225_204200-1280x720.jpg (168.6 KB, 53 views)
Old 2019.03.31, 07:42 PM   #13
herman

Interesting set up...

A couple of questions...
- apart from changing the servo motor to the bigger ones being used in the f1 and mr02/15 and adding an additional wire on the pot, did you change the wiring orientation? Or is the f1 wiring basically the same as the mr03 board?

- front end including upper arms looks pretty much close to bullet proof... who makes them?

- rear end is pretty interesting too... shock system, motor mount, diff all the way up to the rear wing...mind telling us who made them?

Lastly how does it perform? Would love to see any videos...
Old 2019.03.31, 08:34 PM   #14
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Interesting set up...

A couple of questions...
- apart from changing the servo motor to the bigger ones being used in the f1 and mr02/15 and adding an additional wire on the pot, did you change the wiring orientation? Or is the f1 wiring basically the same as the mr03 board?

- front end including upper arms looks pretty much close to bullet proof... who makes them?

- rear end is pretty interesting too... shock system, motor mount, diff all the way up to the rear wing...mind telling us who made them?

Lastly how does it perform? Would love to see any videos...
This car was made 9 years ago. MantisWorx arms, bumper, tri damper. Matt Ward drove it in the 2010 PNWC Finals finishing in third place.

Not sure if the wiring needed to be reversed for the servo. It was so long ago that it was developed.
Old 2019.04.01, 01:21 AM   #15
herman

Woah... cool... 9years ago eh? 3rd place in 2010 too?!?!!!!
Thanks for sharing... kinda miss running my f1...