Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.08.23, 04:58 PM   #1
SuperFly
bitPimp

MR03 board socket connector specs?

Are the two sockets on most MR03 boards 2mm Dupont connectors? Is there a different name or spec? Would these allow me to plug into the board?

I know they do different things on different models, but I just want to order some male and female ends to make my own transponder connectors.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by mleemor60; 2018.08.25 at 11:43 AM. Reason: link with pricing
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.08.23, 06:54 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Answer is HERE.

Micro JST 1.5mm ZH 4-Pin Connector Plug
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.08.24, 03:14 PM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

Thank you! Just what I needed.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
Old 2020.07.16, 06:37 PM   #4
SuperFly
bitPimp

Finally ordering some parts, and thought I'd document what I'm getting here in case it's useful to someone else in the future.

What I've learned:

JST stands for Japanese Solderless Terminal. It is not a specific thing, but a catch-all term.

As Arch2B mentioned above, the common size in Mini-Z world is ZH 1.5mm

My main goal here was to make new transponder power attachments, that use either the ICS port for power, or ring terminals directly to the power leads on the chassis.

I ordered some of these

and also in 3 and 4 pin versions.

Some of these

One of these

And some 30 gauge wire with silicone rubber insulation.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z
Old 2020.07.17, 07:13 AM   #5
arch2b

One question that remains for me is how to correctly pin a connector for the FHSS cars such that a transponder can get constant power from the port or is that simply not possible. I get conflicting answers on FB and the like. No one likes tapping to the battery power terminals at the end of the chassis.
Old 2020.07.17, 01:25 PM   #6
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
One question that remains for me is how to correctly pin a connector for the FHSS cars such that a transponder can get constant power from the port or is that simply not possible. I get conflicting answers on FB and the like. No one likes tapping to the battery power terminals at the end of the chassis.
One thing I did to test pins for power is to use a 6V LED. If I do it wrong and it burns up, it was a few pennies. If it lights up, you have a + and a -. I don't have any FHSS cars, but I'll try testing with someone else's. I figured it out for my ASF cars by looking at the Kyosho light set.

One more thing I just thought of regarding FHSS and the port: the light set I have in my Sport car can be made to flicker at various rates with a knob on the controller, and I believe the FHSS cars can do that too. Light sets I have for ASF and MHS cars (and true ICS port) don't have that ability, and the headlight are just always on. Wondering if the ability to modulate power like that makes it unsuitable for a transponder.

edit: came across a picture of a light set in an FHSS car. Looks like it goes red-black-red-black from front to back. Can't see in the picture, but I bet the front two are the headlights and the rear two are the taillights. EDIT: after seeing one in person, I had that backward, the front two pins are brake lights, the rear two headlights.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z

Last edited by SuperFly; 2020.07.22 at 03:39 PM.
Old 2020.07.21, 05:13 PM   #7
arch2b

Interesting. So the power to the port is on 4th channel that you can modulate on the FHSS RWD, FWD, AWD. I have the ZR1 with this light set and the 4th channel controls the flicker rate. Would you then in theory be able to power a transponder constant if you dialed the 4th channel knob to full?

Anyone make an ICS piggy back connector so that you can run both light kit and transponder?
Old 2020.07.22, 04:01 PM   #8
SuperFly
bitPimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
Interesting. So the power to the port is on 4th channel that you can modulate on the FHSS RWD, FWD, AWD. I have the ZR1 with this light set and the 4th channel controls the flicker rate. Would you then in theory be able to power a transponder constant if you dialed the 4th channel knob to full?

Anyone make an ICS piggy back connector so that you can run both light kit and transponder?
I have a Sport model with similar light kit. One other feature of that 4th channel is the headlights go out if you're not on the throttle and parked for a second. That might not inhibit the use of a transponder, but it's not constant power.

I ordered and received a bunch of parts to make 2, 3 and 4 wire ZH connections, a crimper, and a couple different kinds of silicone-insulated wire in 26 and 30 gauge, will experiment with making/using FHS transponder cable for port.

mini-z gallery

PDX Mini-Z