Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2003.08.02, 06:51 PM   #1
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

Exclamation DISCUSS! Mini-Z / Scale 1:27 Proposed rules and regulations

Ok guys,

If 1:24 – 1:28 scale racing shall survive it in the long run it desperately needs some rules and regulations that support a competitive market.

Kyosho started it with the Mini-Z MR-01 and did a great job with that. If we want to keep the interest from drivers and other companies (and by that push the prices on cars and hop ups way much lower than they are today) then we, the drivers and consumers should organize us and create a common and solid base of rules and regulations.

Let us together create some classes that can be used by anyone who wants.

I’m going to start the debate by stealing some ideas from a Swedish Mini-Z internet forum, all credits to them. (They know who they are and please don’t blame them, Swedes can’t turn in bed without a set of rules..=) If you bounces on grammar or spelling, pardon my French but English isn’t my native tongue. Let’s share some constructive criticism, opinions and great ideas and create a set of rules and regulations for Mini-Z / 1:27 scale racing!

Note: Everything below is only a proposed idea just to have something to start the debate with. I doubt that I can lead the debate since I'm going abroad a while in a couple of days. But I will check in. Anyone should feel free to try to sum up different ideas and opinons.
--Hmm if anyone cares to answer that is..--

Let’s start by sorting out different classes, perhaps like this.

- Standard MR-01
- Modified
- Scale 1:27

How a race is managed is currently up to the respective arranger.

THE DIFFERENT CLASSES

STANDARD MR-01
This class is thought of as the step in class or for those who wants to compete with simplicity. The Hop Ups and option parts becomes less important due to the fact that the speed is limited, you may only use the stock engine.

(The Kyosho MR-02 chassis could be allowed after some time, perhaps 2004-01-01 or after the season (Whenever that is, 2004-06-01(?)

Body
Only Kyosho Mini-Z or Mini Power bodies allowed, no F1, Overland or other brands.
The maximum length/wide/height may not exceed the maximum length/wide/height on the current car model. Nothing on the chassis, wheels, tires, rims or other equipment may stick out outside the body. (Exceptions made only for the antenna, bumper and wing, see below).
The body shall be intact, some adjustments are allowed on the inside so the wheels may role if you lower the car.
The mirrors don’t counts as part of the chassis and shall not be included in the maximum wide of the car. This is racing rules and the mirrors are supposed to be lost a long time ago..

The Antenna
The Antenna may not exceed 8 inch or 20 cm in length from base to top.

The Bumper
If a bumper is mounted it must be made of an elastic material, such as rubber, plastic and so on. All edges and corners must be well rounded. The bumper must be flat and parallel to the ground surface in all directions. It may stand out a maximum of 5 millimeters in the front but nothing on the sides.

The wing
Kyosho Mini-Z stock wing is approved as long as it belongs to that body replica originally, no other wings or dams allowed.

Chassis
Kyosho MR-01 stock, (colored allowed). No modifications allowed. Small weights to adjust the balance are allowed to a total maximum of 20 grams.

(The Kyosho MR-02 chassis could be allowed after some time, perhaps 2004-01-01 or after the season (Whenever that is, 2004-06-01(?)

Motor
Only ”untouched” stock motor allowed. No stronger/other magnets, ball bearings and so on are allowed.

Tires & Rims
Any foam or rubber tires are allowed,
Wide, max: 12mm / 0.48 inch
Height, max: 26mm / 1.03 inch

Turbo, electronics or other power adjustments
Not allowed. The cars electronics must be MR-01 stock. Broken FET 3004 may be replaced only with another 3004.

Batterier
4 st R03 "AAA" cells of NiMh, NiCd rechargeable, max 6,0 Volt

Other Options
To keep it simple, all options made for the Kyosho-Mini Z from any company (GPM, GS, Top Cab and so on) are allowed except for ”power add-ons” like turbo, other engines or anything else that violates the rules above. The arranger has the last word.

---------------------------------------------------

MODIFIED
This Class is for those who have a little bit more experience of the Mini-Z, faster engines and turbo are allowed.

Body
Only Kyosho Mini-Z or Mini Power bodies allowed, no F1, Overland or other brands.
The maximum length/wide/height may not exceed the maximum length/wide/height on the current car model. Nothing on the chassis, wheels, tires, rims or other equipment may stick out outside the body. (Exceptions made only for the antenna, bumper and wing, see below).
The body shall be intact, some adjustments are allowed on the inside so the wheels may role if you lower the car.
The mirrors don’t counts as part of the chassis and shall not be included in the maximum wide of the car. This is racing rules and the mirrors are supposed to be lost a long time ago..

The Antenna

The Bumper
If a bumper is mounted it must be made of an elastic material, such as rubber, plastic and so on. All edges and corners must be well rounded. The bumper must be flat and parallel to the ground surface in all directions. It may stand out a maximum of 5 millimeters in the front but nothing on the sides.

The wing
Home made wings are allowed, no part of the wing, dams or attaches may stick out outside the chassis sides, over the roof or more than 2 millimeters (0.08 inch) behind the cars back. Kyosho Mini-Z stock wing is however always approves as long as it belongs to that car originally.

Chassis
All chassis allowed that:
- Wide, must fit in the body.
- Wheelbase maximum 98 mm / 3.89 inch

Motor
Any <130 motor allowed. (One motor only, with exception for servo motors)

Tires & Rims

Turbo is allowed both external and internal. Only MR-01, F1 and MR-02 circuit boards allowed.

Batteries

Other Options
Approved by the arranger.

------------------------------------------------------

Scale 1:27

Body
Bodies can be made of any material, but MUST accurately represent a real racing car made in a series of no less then 50 full scale cars. Only accurate copies of real cars where the driver are under a full cowering hard top roof and behind a windshield are allowed. No open wheels allowed (Where you can see the wheels from above, like on Formula cars). Nothing on the chassis, wheels, tires, rims or other equipment may stick out outside the Body. (Exceptions made only for the antenna and a bumper, see below). Holes for the antenna are allowed to a maximum of 10 mm / 0.4 inch from side to side.

Wide, max: 80 mm / 3.17 inch
Wheelbase, max 100 mm / 4 inch
Length, max: 180 mm / 7.15 inch

The Antenna

The Bumper

Wings and Dams
Only accurate ~1:27 scale like copies of wings and dams that are to be found of the chosen real full scale racing car are allowed.

Chassis
All chassis allowed that:
- Wide, must fit in the body.
- Wheelbase maximum 98 mm / 3.89 inch

Motor
Any <130 motor allowed. (One motor only, with exception for servo motors)

Tires & Rims

Turbo is allowed both external and internal. Any receiver, servo, speed control are allowed. The electronic must be attached to the cars 4 batteries.

Batteries

Other Options
Kagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.02, 08:48 PM   #2
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
My Version....
Attached Images
File Type: gif classes.gif (15.5 KB, 91 views)
Old 2003.08.02, 09:29 PM   #3
Pro-Z Racing

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Z Racing
Real Racing no sillyness.

Stop the stigma of small scale racing as a substandard Toy. Enough of these rediculas rules.

Small Scale Racing Is every bit equal to larger scales USE the SAME Racing format.

On-Road Sedan
1/28th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/28th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA foam tire Class
1/28th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/28th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA foam tire Class

Off Road (jumps)
1/28th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/28th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class

On-Road Sedan
1/24th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/24th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA foam tire Class
1/24th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/24th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA foam tire Class

On-Road Open Wheel
1/24th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/24th scale stock motor 4 cell AAA foam tire Class
1/24th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA rubber tire Class
1/24th scale mod motor 4 cell AAA foam tire Class

IF your not very good you race stock thats what the stock class is for. Everyone has the same powerplant for the same speed. Setup and driving are the factors. if you have a need for speed you race modified.
Pro-Z Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.03, 12:50 AM   #4
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

Pro-Z Racing,

we still need to sort out what a stock engine is and so on with your proposition doesn't we? Or is your sulution finished with that? I like the clean look of it anyway. Thanks!

Draconious , that was lots of classes. To many in my opinion, and I would like to keep at least 4 "AAA" as a standard. A very nice presentetaion sheet of them though!
Old 2003.08.03, 01:07 AM   #5
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
I was just being a dork with the 3... no idea why I did that...

The Beyond/Xperimental class would just be a bonus class... incase like 5 ppl show up at a track one day with custom home made super-Z's... so not a REAL class.. so we are at 4... and the box stock probly the same thing, only if ppl show up with them... most ppl's Z's will fit in one of the middle 3... wich I regard as the 3 primary classes...

and I only did -6 cells cuz I suspect the Enzo supports 6 cells... (10v limit or someting)... only a guess...
Old 2003.08.03, 01:26 AM   #6
Pro-Z Racing

See you can't be making out casts of people who put in tons of effort to make there own car. Besides the SPy speedo can handle 8 cells Number of cells isn't an issue the set standard for racing is 4.

If i remeber right a stock mini z motor is 65 turn armature the x speed is 50 turn armature and most super mods are between 35 and 40 turns.

Thats why i want a small scale governing body. To deturmine whats a stock motor, maximum width and minimum weight.

I personally would make the stock class a 50 turn motor limit

minimum weight 150 grams sedan
Max width 3inchs sedan
Old 2003.08.03, 01:51 AM   #7
PatTink
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to PatTink
this may be harder to organize or do on smaller courses that dont have timing systems or anything but i think that it would be a cool thing to have, if the race wasnt that big, as many classes that would fit run at once. This would force people to be good drivers to avoid the slower traffic, and i think makes for a more exciting race. Almost like Le mans, or the American Le Mans series. This is just an idea though because it would be really hard to keep track of everyones laps and places if it got above a certain number of people.
Old 2003.08.03, 03:09 AM   #8
efsee
CMZ El Salvador

After much debate, these are the categories that we finaly came up with for our local racing series:

STOCK POWER
- Kyosho Mini-Z MR-01 chassis
- Kyosho or Mini Power body
- “Out of box” X-Speed motor is allowed
- All type of available Mini-Z type rims are allowed
- Any type of rubber tires are allowed (no foams)
- Up to 9T pinion is allowed
- Only 4 AAA batteries are allowed
- Aftermarket radios are allowed
- All options made for the Kyosho-Mini Z from any company (Kyosho, GPM, TopCad and so on) are allowed except for ”power add-ons” (no turbos).

OPEN
Anything goes as long as the cars are up to 1/24 scale and all parts are confined within the body (this is the class we race our Pro-Z’s and turboed Mini-Z’s).

We thought about a “Box Stock” class, but decided that the stock Mini-Z needs a few hop-ups in order to run well. Also, we didn't want to have to many classes, so we decided to go with the “Stock Power” class and allow the use of the Kyosho X-Speed motor to make racing more enjoyable. So far our experience has been very good and our races are very competitive, allowing for fine tuning and good driving to make the difference.

Our current dilema:
What do we do about the new Mini-Z MR-02 chassis? Do we allow it in the “Stock Power” class, do we put them in the “Open” class, or do we need to make a new class? I guess we will have to try the MR-02 Mini-Z and then decide what will be the best thing to do.
efsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.03, 06:26 AM   #9
jeffrey
undisputed

Send a message via AIM to jeffrey
i say place it in the stock power!

a well modfied 01 shud make a great battle with the 02.......but the 02 must be stock no suspension mods.....your only running on stock power or x-speed................so this will be a good way to see if a moded 01 can really compete with the 02............but this really depends on the driver too!

I DON'T NEED A FAST MOTOR TO GO FAST!
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.03, 06:29 AM   #10
jeffrey
undisputed

Send a message via AIM to jeffrey
keep it in the stock power until you get enough 02s to make a new class!

I DON'T NEED A FAST MOTOR TO GO FAST!
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.03, 08:33 AM   #11
Pro-Z Racing

sounds to me all these silly rules come back to bite us every time something new comes out. stock power plant = stock car
Old 2003.08.03, 09:12 AM   #12
efsee
CMZ El Salvador

I think jeffrey's suggestion is a good idea. Run the 02 "box stock" with X-Speed motor against the 01's with full hop-ups and X-Speed motor as well. Only allow tire choice for the 02 and put it against the 01 to see how they fair.

Hopefully I will be receiving my 02 next week, and I'll give it a try against the 01's. There's alot of expectation on the 02, so I think we will actually need to try it before we can decide what to do.
efsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.03, 05:23 PM   #13
Pro-Z Racing

how a car performs should have nothing to do with being allowed to race.
Old 2003.08.04, 03:17 AM   #14
herman

box stock
this will give everybody a chance to win since the playing field will more or less be equal... the only thing you will be allowed to change are tires. nimh batts will be allowed.

open stock
any and all option parts allowed with the exception of turbo (internal/external)... motors will be limited to stock, tires limited to rubber

modified
same as stock but limited to x-speed motors

modified open
turbos allowed / modified motors allowed... tires foam and/or rubber allowed
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.04, 01:24 PM   #15
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

Quote:
Originally posted by Pro-Z Racing
how a car performs should have nothing to do with being allowed to race.
I like the way you think Pro-Z Racing, and how you are trying insert the same standards in scale 1:24 - 1:28 as in larger scale racing. I hope that you represent the future of this scale racing. But I'm not sure that the market (buyers, drivers and so on) are prepared for this right now. One aspect is the price. You can buy a RTR stock Mini-z for ~100 dollars. But a stock racer in 'your' stock class would easy cost five times that much. (Aktiv Road Racer chassies, aftermarket electronics and so on).

Mini-Z is cheap, kids can afford it and I would like to let them compete in a class without feeling that they ends up short in the dollar race all the time.

So how about this suggestion:

STOCK 1:27

This class is thought of as the step in class or for those who wants to compete with simplicity and doesn’t want to spend that much money on their equipment.

When the last heat (the final) is over it’s allowed for anyone to place a race bid*.

*Race bid.
To place a race bid costs 5 US dollars in fee. This fee goes to the arranger of the competition. A race bid is a bid on a car in the current racing class as it was raced, incl. the control and batteries. The bid is 300 dollars, no less no more. The driver must sell the car and control as s/he raced it for 300 dollars if some one placed a race bid on it. The seller can refuse to sell the equipment and by that admit that his or hers result is disqualified. The arranger draw lots if there are more than one bid on a car. It is allowed to place bid/s on your own car.

Scale 1:27

Body
Bodies can be made of any material, but MUST accurately represent a real racing car made in a series of no less then 50 full scale cars. Only accurate copies of real cars where the driver are under a full cowering hard top roof and behind a windshield are allowed. No open wheels allowed (Where you can see the wheels from above, like on Formula cars). Nothing on the chassis, wheels, tires, rims or other equipment may stick out outside the Body. (Exceptions made only for the antenna and a bumper, see below). Holes for the antenna are allowed to a maximum of 10 mm / 0.4 inch from side to side.

The Antenna

The Bumper

Wings and Dams
Only accurate ~1:27 scale like copies of wings and dams that are to be found of the chosen real full scale racing car are allowed.

Chassis
All chassis are allowed.
Wide, must fit in the body.
Wheelbase maximum 98 mm / 3.89 inch

Motor
Any 130 engine with 50< turn armature.

Tires & Rims

Turbo is allowed both external and internal. Any receiver, servo, speed control are allowed. The electronic must be attached to the cars 4 batteries.

Batteries

Minimum weight
150 grams

Other Options

MODIFIED

Body

The Antenna

The Bumper

Wings and Dams

Chassis
All chassis are allowed.
Wide, must fit in the body.
Wheelbase maximum 98 mm / 3.89 inch

Motor
Any 130 engine allowed.

Tires & Rims

Batteries

Minimum weight
150 grams

Other Options

Last edited by Kagan; 2003.08.04 at 05:00 PM.