Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.09.15, 07:39 AM   #61
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Congratulations!!!!!!

Good job winning the B-main dude. So does that qualify you to run at the big race in Las Vegas? I wish I could have been there, I know the compition was tight one of our old guys Tommy Lane was there, I was hoping he would get a win. He was one of the fastest guys at our club. He is a great driver too! Looks like there where some good drivers out there! Hope you had fun! The Panthers beat there Bears at the game so that was exciting for me. I would have rather been at the race. I probably need alot more practice before I go to a big race though. Have a great day!

Jay
cosmicsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 08:40 AM   #62
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Jay, I got my butt kicked, lol. The competition level was very high. I wasnt up to par and had some other things holding me back a bit. The weight limit rules didnt play into my hands and I ended up having to add weights to all of my cars just to be legal, It through the handling (and my attitude) a little out of wack. That teamed wiht some bad luck on track, and some poor driving sent me to the back of the pack. It was cool winning a race, but the only other competitor was my dad, and I get to beat him on a regular basis I dont understand why we werent included in the a main as every other main had 8 drivers. We ran the B by ourselves then there were only 6 in the A.

A B-main win doesnt qualify you for Vegas, but I made the A in F1 due to lack of entrants. I also had a good chance of winning the thing (as did every one else on the track), but bad luck nabbed me again. The F1 series of qualifiers were some of the most fun Ive had running these cars to date. 2 of the 3 I was leading at the half way point, and all three of them I ended up 5th. Thats how close the competition was. I made one mistake and got hung in the wall for minute, the field passed me as they were only a couple turns away. In the other I got tangeld up with a lap car right at the end...same result, 4 cars passed me to send me home with a 5th The main was going my way for a bit. I wanted to avoid the big on at the beginning at all costs. It didnt happen until about 5 turns in, but every one was involved. I was the only one to sqeeze through (with some luck and patience) and ended up with a quarter lap lead. Since every one else was racing each other, and I was running in clean air I built up a half lap lead before they spread out and got into rythems. I was holding my half lap until about 2 minutes in when my car died on the track. A motor wire broke off from the vigorous action of the rear pod. The sodler held, but the strands of wires were all torn off, and I ended up with 9 laps and a DNF last place

Overall, I didnt do as well as I expected myslef too. The competition level was far above anything I could have ever imagined. Meeting all those guys made the trip worth it though, and Im really glad I went. I will reconsider going to Vegas though. Thats an expesive trip to go to a race where I cant epxect to do anything but try my best to not be the worst one there, lol.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 08:57 AM   #63
imxlr8ed

Hey hrdrvr!

Thanks for coming! You and your pops put on a great showing for this being your first major event!... and don't forget, you were cruising out towards the front in F1 until you were savaged by circumstance! I too felt the same way going to my first major events... the big question was always, "what the hell happened to me?". I'm not sure why he didn't combine the class for the mains but I'm sure Phil has a standard method for determining that. Either way... was excellent to meet you and your family and I hope to race with you again someday soon! I know you had me sweating it in F1 for sure!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 12:45 PM   #64
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Good to meet you and POP. Had a good time running with you guys......and breakfast.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 04:34 PM   #65
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

Stock

Landon,

In stock 2wd did you notice anyones car considerably faster than yours and if so what could you account this to? Just wondering? Even though you didn't qualify could you still go to Vegas.

Jay
cosmicsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 07:36 PM   #66
bermbuster
GF Racing

Hey Landon,
It was great racing against you and your Dad and from my perspective you guys had a great time. The only downside I saw it was a little to hot for your daughter...I travel to races with my son and we have a great time as well....its like cake ....its all good and if we win its the icing on that cake....
We are looking forward to racing you guys again...Tell your Dad Ill bring my A game next time.....hehe

In stock to get your car faster you want to lighten all rotating components....
use the lightest wheels, lightest diff (titanium shaft and remove some diff balls) use super free spinning bearings (avid open seals w some teflon spray on them) or ceramics Use 64 p gears(53-12) too...make sure you have a free mesh w no binding and you will be fast....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.15, 08:58 PM   #67
DAMZer
Zen_gineer

Hey, that is great for such a major event!!!!

Way back in the early days, the first K-Cup in Vegas, I think I bumped up from the D-main into the B-Main before I finally broke a stock front knuckle. I believe I finished in the low-mid teens overall, back to back to back racing for 3 heats.........

Keep running other races and keep competing with faster racers, you all have the skills!! And the best work/race environment to keep the edge

Congrats to you and Andy!!!!!!!!!!! Bet he's already got my last 2WD time beat
Old 2008.09.17, 02:10 PM   #68
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Ed, thanks for the confidence building words You and Phillip put on a great event up there. Im really glad I came and met every one. The friends I made, the lessons I learned, and the chance to see some of the elite guys race made the trip well worth it. Thanks again, and maybe you can make it down to one of the SE events some day. We will eventually meet up again Im sure wether it be here, there or somewhere in between. Im not going to make it to NCRCs event, but I do hope to make it to Nekocon. Maybe you and a couple of your guys will end up down there too.

Larry, It was awesome to meet you. My dad and I had a great time hanging with you around the track, and my dad especally enjoyed eating breakfast with you guys. Too bad I wasnt awake for those meetings I hope to get to race again with you some time as well. If I get my AWD more up to par, and my hands work like they are supposed to, I think I could have some fun chasing you around the track

Jay, My car wasnt really any slower than any one elses. On the straight I was on pace. My car was a little pushy, but I was on pace in the infield as well. My problem came with driving. Usually Im a very consistant driver, but a little behind the pace of every one else. This time it was different. I was just as fast, and could overtake anywhere I made a move (if the other drivers cooperated ), but couldnt put clean laps together.

I got a little frustrated with the weight ruling. I still dont understand why I should have to add weight to my car, just to be legal. I havent removed any weight, and I dont do anything out of the ordinary, with the exception of not buying a lot of alloy (if you call that ordinary), but all of my cars were underweight. My 02 was a dime underweight (whatever that weighs) and my F1 and AWD were almost 10 grams apiece underweight. Its not fair that some one who buys a stock RTR kit has to add lead to their car just to compete legally My attitude got a little thrown by that, then little mistakes or trouble on the track got me down a bit. I just never could find a rythem, and my lap times and finish positions show it. I dont have any one to blame but myself though. If I were better at set up and drove to my abilities I would have been in the A for all three classes. How it turned out though, I wasnt, but thats racing, right? If I won every time that wouldnt be fun either

George, It was cool meeting you guys too! You should come down and visit us sometime. You would fall right in line with the regulars here, and mini berm would too

You have to watch lightening up your stock car too much apparently (for PN anyway). I would say everything you said was good advice to get your car faster, but apparently its good advice to get DQ'ed too. I guess you have to keep the rotating mass down, and add weight every where else.

J, You are right, Pops allready has your time beat Only by a couple of tenths though. Dont expect our track to be the same next time you come though. My dad and I both have a long way to come as far as being tuners, se we are now going to plan on changing the layout more frequently. That way our practice time for any given layout will be more in line with the others that dont show all the time, and we will get better at knowing what does what. We both have general ideas, but just not enough knowledge of all the options that are available. Stay tuned for some pics of the new layouts though. I plan to share everything we come up with here

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2008.09.17, 08:05 PM   #69
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Hey, good to see your back home. One thing i dont get is the weight. I was the opposite of you. All my cars were over weight. I dont really run all that much aluminum. My AWD was about 10 g over. Im doing the opposite of you. I got a scale comming and im going to lighten up my cars.

If you have any pictures/video, post it on the Pn east regional thread if you can.

LARRY

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.18, 08:21 AM   #70
hrdrvr
MBMZR

We are going to get a sclae too I still dont understand, but atleast I know for next time. I guess Ill be setting up my next PN cars a little differently. I cant complain too much as every one raced by the same rules, and they were posted long ago. When it comes down to it it was my own lack of preperation that cost me those grams.

My wife got some pictures of the event. She got a couple good track pics that Ill post, but most of the pics she took of the driver stand were of me and my dad and they didnt turn out so well. She got a couple with the three of us too, as we always seemed like we were close on the stand. If any turned out Ill be sure and post them

I got videos of almost all of the mains. I think I missed one of the 2wd Bs and the AWD B. I got the rest though. Ive just got to get them trimmed and posted.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2008.09.23, 11:58 AM   #71
Daddy Rabbit

DAMZer & 2ez
Wish you guy's could have made up to the PN regionals.
It was great fun and we met a lot of wonderfull and talented people.
Hope to see you at the MB track in the near future.

Ed & Larry,
Again it was great meeting you guys and we had alot of good coversation at the track and at breakfast, guess we were the first ones up.
If you are ever near MB, please stop in and race with us.
I'm sure ya'll will be going to vegas, good luck.
Maybe we will see you in some east coast local events, keep us in the loop.
"Don't back up, Don't back down....Full throttle, Wide open"
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.23, 12:34 PM   #72
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I ordered about 6 scales. 2 are for other people. 4 for me, one for each wheel to work on distribution of weight to make sure that everything is balanced well.

My 015 was about 13g underweight. I had to add 2 quarters right before the qualifier I used it in. Really changed the handling characteristics.

It is better to be underweight than overweight going into an event. You then can use the added weight to your advantage in where you choose to place it.

It was great racing with you Landon, I think we were only on the track together in practice, but your cars looked good. Just needed a few tweaks. I felt that 98mm cars ran better on that track, not many tight corners and the grip was so high that it made the advantages of the 94mm setup a disadvantage.

If I ever go down south, Ill make sure to check out this track for some good fun.

Cant wait to see the videos.
Old 2008.09.23, 01:01 PM   #73
hrdrvr
MBMZR

EMU - Ive got four small scales on the way We didnt get to race much, as I think the only class we shared was stock 2wd, and I was down in the middle of the pack. I wish I was racing up to my full potential as we could have run some together. It was fun watching the A mains though

I set up a 98mm car last night, just so Ill be prepped for those conditions next time. I just couldnt handle all the extra grip. If I keep getting to more and more events though, Ill be ready for next year

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2008.09.23, 01:05 PM   #74
Daddy Rabbit

George,
Thanks for the help at regionals and it was nice meeting you and mini berm.
If you are ever in the MB area please stop by and race with us, that can happen most any night.
Also keep in mind the NekoCon event in Va., around Nov 7th, hopefully there will be more info out in the near future.
Good luck and if we do not see you and your son in the near future, have a nice winter and stay warm up there.
"Don't back up, Don't back down....Full throttle, Wide open"
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.23, 11:14 PM   #75
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
That was the most grip that I have ever experienced. When I started racing it was on the foam anti fatigue mats that are similar to the smooth side of RCP. http://www2.mini-zracer.com/albums/a.../mini_z_j2.avi a quick video of after racing fun at the original HKS Hobby about 4 years ago where I started Note, the kid in the video was the winner of the C main at the PN race

I had to go to some very worn k-20d slicks on the second day, as well as go from a red spring to a purple. And my car still traction rolled at the hairpin on the first lap. The car pushes at my local track now... Not terribly, but very noticeable. I like steering, I dont usually drive my cars full lock, I steer as much as I need to in order to make the turn. I used to drive full lock, but it was too slow as there was much more scrub.

I ordered a Hudy tire truer, to make my front tires lower profile and flat. I prefer how they run better that way. Its big coin, but I dont think I am going to be getting much more new stuff besides the normal tires and nick nack here and there. I just got the 2.4 015 chassis that I am going to start working on for the worlds or the Canada regional if I can go.

Going into the PN race, I had a 94mm, 3x98mm and a 102mm MR02's set up ready to go. One 98mm shut down on me in the first mod heat, which I decided not to spend time on and use a different one since I was working on the MRCG. Turned out to be a loose connection to the batt terminal. It was a frankenstein 2.4, using my first MR02 chassis that I ever bought. It also has stripped screw holes everywhere, but was my best handling MR02, even with all the glue to hold the screws in.

Another one I blew the fets right off the board for Pan car after I decided to put the MRCG to rest, I had been struggling with the steering fix that I had done and I realized it wasnt working. Ed tried to fix it, but its Resting In Pieces. I ordered a replacement board for it since my local track doesnt have it in stock.

I allways like to go to a big event prepared, a few cars to feel what setup works the best, and tweak from there. One car isnt necessarily going to be the best on every layout, or even the same layout on different tracks. If it were low grip, I would have been driving 94mm.

I definitely dont think that I was racing my full potential. I had a LOT of unforced errors, especially in the A main. I think I slept about 2 hours from Friday-Sunday, with about an average of 4 hours a night for the week going into the race trying to get the MRCG set up. In a way the lack of sleep actually helped, since I was running on adrenaline the entire time, I didnt get jitters during the main where I normally would have and made it much harder to control the car. I just felt my body start to shut down a bit, and reaction time was slower.

I think you are a good driver, but I am pretty sure you werent expecting as much from the other drivers. The Action crew is one of the most competetive tracks in the North East. There were a few other top level racers that didnt make the race. DaveyG, Roland Shao, Johnathan and Phil. All of which would have made the A main if not possibly won. Johnathan and Phil are 16/17 and have won more championships than I have, I am more of a setup artist, they are more natural drivers. I can make my cars go fast, but Im not as consistant as I should be.

If you ever head up to NYC anytime, be sure to drop by Action RC on a Sat. evening, NYC on Friday nights are allways fun... unless your staying home getting your cars ready for Saturday night racing