Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > Reflex Racing

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009.10.23, 02:18 AM   #31
Felix2010

CT, are you still using shims on your Qteq/Reflex 53/51 spur diffs to get the spur spaced evenly between the diff rings? Or do you find that with less lube you do not have the "suction" or spur-sticking-to-the-rig problem with your spurs? Because your spurs are so flat and perfecly mahined, they tend to "stick" to my outer diff ring a bit. I have yet to try using less lube though. In your diff build tutorial, you only lube the balls, which may be the ticket... I saw on your diff tutorial on your website that you did not use any shims for that build.

BTW - CT, I have yet to try your high-grade bearings, but I will say that your Avid fronts definitely got much smoother+faster when they broke-in a bit. They spin forever. At first they were fast, but now they are extremely fast
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.24, 09:37 PM   #32
pfcparts

That suction a bad thing? I decided against using the
spacers so I left them out, but I do notice the spur can
stick to the ring... Doesn't seem like it inhibits the diff?

-----

I can't really tell the difference between the ceramics, so
the rrs should be the better deal. Higher ratings
and a cheaper starting point = win.

Tried the Qteq/RR/ATM/PN alum diff today...

Light, quiet, and efficient.

Might be the best ball diff out there, even over
the K diffs, which I tended to use exclusively...

(Should be as it costs twice as much lol)

Exact same setup and I was throwing tires and losing
traction like crazy even with the heavy tagus on my murc.

Used them with PN 64p machine cut pinions and they are
extremely quiet. When you hear the electronics humming
louder than the diff it's pretty cool lol.

A little work required and a higher pricepoint, but just
plain awesome...

Only knock is it might be a little maintenance heavy
though...

If you've got the cash and are serious, not a bad
investment. Highly recommended.

As expected excellent products guys.

parts
Old 2009.10.25, 01:08 AM   #33
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The suction is bad. The spur will generally stick to the right ring. Which means that the right wheel will be in synch with the spur... Not a good thing, as you will hook left and push right. When spacing, you only want to keep the spur off the ring, too many spacers will lock the diff...
Old 2009.10.26, 04:36 PM   #34
CristianTabush

Thanks for the review parts. I am glad you like them. They do take more maintenance and a little bit of fitting, but overall results is what we like to achieve. :P

Think of them as straight-cut gears in real race cars, a little louder, a little more maintenance, but much better performance... One thing that is very nice is how long they last. I am still on my original spur and it's been through A LOT. Including a 4 hour enduro...
http://www.reflexracing net
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.10.26, 04:41 PM   #35
CristianTabush

I still space my spurs. I will release a tutorial soon on how to do this best. Due to the different combination of shafts/diff parts/rings that people run, there is no exact measurement. I usually do a bit of sanding on my spacers to get them to work just right. I get no spur gear stiction though...
Old 2009.10.26, 06:09 PM   #36
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

I had to sand the wide spacer from .45mm to .36mm to get everything working freely. Sanded on 1500, only took a few passes to get it down to size.
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.12, 11:49 AM   #37
Skv012a

Send a message via ICQ to Skv012a Send a message via AIM to Skv012a Send a message via MSN to Skv012a Send a message via Yahoo to Skv012a
Popped one of these in last night as so far I like its feel and the whole concept. Since I don't have enough matching diff balls, I'll try it with 3 and see how that works out at for now. Will have to assemble my track to see how it does in its natural environment
Old 2009.11.12, 02:55 PM   #38
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

Does reflex have any plans or interest in making 64pitch for a stock diff... i like running stock diff on my 70t cars and the reduced weight makes up for the limited gearing. but a stock diff with a 64 pitch spur would be pretty sick... im no engineer but i have to assume that all that has to be made is the spur gear housing...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.12, 03:04 PM   #39
CristianTabush

Not at the time. Once we run a QteQ diff with all the lightened parts, the ball diff can be almost as light. It is a product that we are definitely considering though...
Old 2009.11.12, 03:08 PM   #40
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

Everyone at Maj's is running the qteq... its absolutly amazing... there is just something different about the stock diff... please keep us posted if you come out with the 64 pitch for stock diff...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.12, 03:30 PM   #41
briankstan

I took these from my MR-03 build. My MR-02 Build As you can see if you build the QteQ diff with the right parts, It's lighter than the stock gear diff.

I've build 3 of them, the reflex parts are top notch, as well as the QteQ parts. I'm glad Reflex found them

stock gear diff, weight is 5.9 grams.

Kyosho Ball Diff, weight is 8.2 grams.

QteQ Ball diff, with Reflex light weight diff rings, Reflex ceramic balls, Reflex 53 tooth spur Gear, Qteq Diff housing, and PN ultra light weight diff shaft, weight is 4.4 grams.

Last edited by briankstan; 2009.11.12 at 03:40 PM.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.11.12, 04:19 PM   #42
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Brian, try using a 51t spur... should be even lighter

I have a Qteq ti-shaft for the gear diff, going to do some work on it soon...

The Reflex spurs are still running strong. Showing much less wear than the competition. I need to try to figure out what spacers to use with the Kyosho F1 diff, since the spacers that I have go inside of the right side pressure plate holder... The diff I built up has Qteq parts on the left side of the diff with a Reflex ring. The right side has to be the F1 diff parts to compensate for the offset. The Reflex ring is just a little too tight to work on the F1 diff. The way that I figure, lowering the mass of the left side of the diff without lowering the mass of the right side shouldnt have a negative affect on the handling of the car...

Junior, the Gear diffs have no slip, so all the power goes to the wheels, unlike ball diffs... You can control how tight the diff is by using different grease in the diff... I ran one for years, but as Brian has shown, the Qteq and reflex parts make a lighter diff... Which will make you able to get on power earlier in corner exit. The gear diff is stronger at corner entrance than the ball diff is, there is a lot of turn in, so on a high grip track, it is a good option. Low grip, you need a ball diff...
Old 2009.11.12, 05:11 PM   #43
CristianTabush

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankstan View Post
I took these from my MR-03 build. My MR-02 Build As you can see if you build the QteQ diff with the right parts, It's lighter than the stock gear diff.

I've build 3 of them, the reflex parts are top notch, as well as the QteQ parts. I'm glad Reflex found them

stock gear diff, weight is 5.9 grams.

Kyosho Ball Diff, weight is 8.2 grams.

QteQ Ball diff, with Reflex light weight diff rings, Reflex ceramic balls, Reflex 53 tooth spur Gear, Qteq Diff housing, and PN ultra light weight diff shaft, weight is 4.4 grams.
Impressive!!!

I really need to buy a gram scale...
Old 2009.11.12, 05:13 PM   #44
CristianTabush

Brian, do you mind if I use the pics to demonstrate on the site?
Old 2009.11.12, 05:23 PM   #45
briankstan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Brian, do you mind if I use the pics to demonstrate on the site?
not at all, go for it...

Last edited by briankstan; 2009.11.16 at 08:02 AM.
briankstan is offline   Reply With Quote