Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.02.20, 06:34 PM   #1
bevo

Kyosho RFID problem

I've been using your software for about a year with the kyosho home edition, and it works pretty well. The one problem I'm having is when I initialize RFID tags. About half of the time it makes them 00000000 and doesn't give them a number. The tags work even though they have a 0000000 number but you can only run one of them at a time because it picks all of the tags that get the 0s as the same tag. I have a friends house we run at, and he uses software he wrote for the core system. When we run at his house I can use my 00000 tags on multiple cars and his system has them as separate tags with no problems. I've done a few reinstalls of the software, and tried it on both mac, and windows 7.

Any idea how I can get the RFID initializer to get the tag numbers right would be great. I would assume that the tags were just bad if they didn't work fine with the core system.

Another question is have you found any generic tags that work better then others. I have the larger size most people used with the core system, and it misses a fair amount of laps. I would say if you race 5 minutes with 5 cars it's going to miss at least one lap o at best, usually a few though. I've also noticed thought that older laptops work better then newer ones. I have used 2 of my friends laptops that were over 6 years old, and both of them worked very well with it and very rarely missed a lap. I had a 2 year old windows 7 laptop that missed them pretty regularly, and a 3 year old macbook that doesn't work very well with it either.

Really any tips to get better counting would be great.

Last edited by bevo; 2012.02.20 at 07:58 PM.
bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.20, 08:20 PM   #2
pinwc4

Sorry that the Kyosho RFID init program is not working consistently for you. The first thing to make sure is you are running the latest version. Late last year I posted an updated version of it that fixes a bug that in some cases would cause some tags to not be initialized (show 00000000). If it says version 2 in the bottom right hand corner you have the latest, otherwise download an updated copy from the site and try again and let me know.

As for Core versus Kyosho what you are seeing make sense. The Core lap counter uses the built in ID of the tag. Every RFID tag has a unique ID put on it by the manufacturer. Unfortunately the Kyosho lap counter does not use this ID, instead it reads from a couple blocks of memory on the tag. When you buy a new tags those memory blocks are just 00000000. That is why I had to create the separate program to initialize RFID tags to be used with the Kyosho lap counter.

If you already have the latest version of the Kyosho init program then try initializing one of the tags that show 00000000, check to see if the tag still shows 00000000 in Flip Side Racing and then send me the text the program shows when it attempts to initialize that tag.

For recommendations with tags I have always used the credit card sized tags and had good results. I make sure to cover the exposed side of the tag with tape and place the tags as far forward in the body as I can. Your antenna loop size under the track can make a difference as well, you could try making that narrower. I always set mine to 11.5" by using a sheet of paper and taping the antenna loop down.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.21, 11:56 AM   #3
bevo

I went ahead and redownloaded the initializing program and now it set them all to a number instead of 000000. Thanks alot. My kid will be thrilled tonight that we can run together now instead of just timing one car at a time. all the tags I have here were all 000000, now they all have numbers.
bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.02.21, 09:06 PM   #4
pinwc4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo View Post
I went ahead and redownloaded the initializing program and now it set them all to a number instead of 000000. Thanks alot. My kid will be thrilled tonight that we can run together now instead of just timing one car at a time. all the tags I have here were all 000000, now they all have numbers.
Thanks for the update, glad to hear that it is working for you.
pinwc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.05.20, 04:10 AM   #5
HIDC1

Unfortunately not working for me. I've used the software for over a year now and a few months ago it stopped init RFID tags. I'm using the same large reel I always have (MEDIUM size recommended on the Flipside site). Also have a reel of small ones per the site.

Both the Flipside and Init program are fresh download. I've tried to re-init "failed" tags but they still show up as all zeros in Flipside.

Here is a screenshot of the init:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/585/img0979o.jpg/
HIDC1 is offline   Reply With Quote