Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.11.13, 12:16 AM   #1
Tjay

PNWC World Title...

Bragging right is cool and I guess the trophy too but is there any changes from 2008's PNWC? I mean, is there at least a free plane ticket for 2013 PNWC or something worth racing for rather than the "World Title" or bragging rights? What about store credit, cash, free entry fee for 2013 Regionals, KO PROPO radio or even miniz car? I really hope I'm wrong and that the new PNWC winners do get more than just the trophy.

Congrats to the winners. Great race over the weekend!
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.13, 01:22 AM   #2
bcpzx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjay View Post
Bragging right is cool and I guess the trophy too but is there any changes from 2008's PNWC? I mean, is there at least a free plane ticket for 2013 PNWC or something worth racing for rather than the "World Title" or bragging rights? What about store credit, cash, free entry fee for 2013 Regionals, KO PROPO radio or even miniz car? I really hope I'm wrong and that the new PNWC winners do get more than just the trophy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't get anything more than the trophy and title.
bcpzx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.13, 02:02 PM   #3
SAGISI

With how dead the mini-z scene been, I can see why they cant have things like free plane tickets to 2013 Worlds, prizes for the winners, money payouts, etc. Everyone in the mini-z community ultimate goal is to have that World Title. And I get what Tjay is saying cous if I were to win the World title I would be stoked but after looking back at how much time and effort I put in, was it really worth it? I believe it would be but would I be excited about next years Worlds race??? Probably not. Many people know that if I were to win a title I would put mini-z to rest and concentrate on other forms of RC. But after tuning with many mini-z drivers who have that same passion of going fast and having fun, I remembered that RC should just be about having fun/making new friends.

One thing that I would like to see in the mini-z community that will help us get more people into mini-z is factory support. I believe they do a good job for there factory drivers but not for there "customers".

Last edited by SAGISI; 2012.11.13 at 03:10 PM.
SAGISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.13, 06:37 PM   #4
bcpzx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAGISI View Post
One thing that I would like to see in the mini-z community that will help us get more people into mini-z is factory support. I believe they do a good job for there factory drivers but not for there "customers".
Completely agree. I really hope Reflex starts making more parts, because I am now converting to Atomic and Reflex parts only.
Old 2012.11.13, 09:27 PM   #5
yasuji
PN RacingTEAM Driver

Send a message via AIM to yasuji Send a message via Yahoo to yasuji
Quote:

nope.... just a trophy and a title!.... and its all worth it... i get to make great new friends everywhere i go!

Grant "Yasuji" Matsushima

PN Racing Team Driver
www.pnracing.com
gm@pnracing.com

yasuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 07:13 AM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
trophies are good for a few things; collecting dust, book ends, fond memories awards pictures. other than that, they tend to get discarded in storage boxes, etc. i've seen a few very unique awards that are more worthy of remembrance but those cost more money and well, there isn't a lot of money in mini-z racing to begin with.

lets not bag on PN to much because of prizes, they are providing a annual sponsored racing series after all. out side of PN, whom else can claim the same in the u.s. (which gets you to the worlds)? Kyosho has yet to get anything going after the collapse of the north american mini-z cup series. Atomic has talked about races and maybe even held a few? you really don't hear about them. Reflex has an online series going with a few clubs.

pardon me as i step up on my soap box for a moment....
the community at large desperately needs more organized sponsored racing. so much so that i would gladly buy into the kyosho only rules of the mini-z cup again. the recession years have hit the community especially hard and well, i'm willing to say most clubs are left to themselves and maybe other local club events or HFAY. what made the mini-z community so strong years ago was, most enthusiasts were not competitive racers. they were people tooling around and having fun. there were many online communities with countless innovations, new ideas, customization's, etc. that filled the community. as mini-z has become less of an affordable hobby that has dwindled and i fear we are more or less left with the competitive racing group by and large which relies heavily on manufacturer support vs. community. the scene if you will has shifted over the last couple years and it's dominated by competitive drives, manufacturer development, sales and communities have dwindled. the average enthusiast is what helped sustain this community and it is that segment that i fear we are purging in greater numbers. there used to be endless pages of posts with people sharing everything from pictures of their favorite moments, items, new creations, etc. and today... well there are a few that remain but we can't even get enough participation to continue contests anymore. mini-z will continue on as it has survived for more than a decade. it sorely needs an infusion of creative fun though and unrealistically, affordability. we used to get excited about things like wheel lights. now all it seems to generate are rebuttals on how it's detrimental to racing as unnecessary weight.
ok, stepping down...

Last edited by arch2b; 2012.11.14 at 07:15 AM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 09:46 AM   #7
imxlr8ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
it sorely needs an infusion of creative fun though
Oval track racing!... blindfolded?

The fun has never been an issue for me, but the thing that irritates me the most is the lack of promotion from the people who manufacture the damn product itself!

I have no idea why Kyosho isn't pushing us to have events to promote their own product... why are we the ones who are always initializing events?

For instance... say I was a Kyosho rep, and I was to go to the most loyal and dedicated clubs on here and tell them I wanted to have an event, something like a Spec race for a specific type of Z... or an all-out Buggy race, or maybe even a Mini-Moto race. And I gave the clubs enough time to promote the event and to let the racers get their gear ready. I buy the trophies, put out gift certificates as prizes and show up to manage the event. Also to promote the cars further... have the events at local "other scale" tracks where outsiders can witness the levels of racing we all enjoy with these cars.

Now... who here would say no to something like that?

Problem is... it just doesn't happen!

PN has given us all something to shoot for, every PN event I have gone to was to just enjoy the racing and drive my butt off to the best of my abilities. I never worried about what I was winning because I was too interested in the fun to be had. Honestly... I wouldn't care if they handed me a friggin candy bar if I was to win a race!

I have no idea why a company like Kyosho doesn't try everything in it's power to hire or incorporate a guy like Phil... to have someone in your company that loves your product so much?... priceless!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 12:43 PM   #8
Tjay

I had to post this because others can but wont, so let me be that guy and I'm cool with that... I'd like to thank you guys for sharing your opinions. Others needs to see these kinds of input.

Back in January 2008, my first real race, Atomic had an event (West Coast Regonals) and during this time, Atomic had more parts on the shelves than PN. The 1st place winners on both mod (AWD and 2WD) gets a plane ticket to Hong Kong. Let me repeat that, a plane ticket to HONG KONG. A year later, they gave out the same prizes, plane tickets to HK. I understand the economy is tough but that didn't stop the racers/drivers into supporting fully on PN parts especially here in US. They may have not spend as much as they did before, but they were spending money and going to their Regionals.

Every big event race I go to has raffle draws that are sponsored by KO, Kyosho, etc... Why not have few of those parts such as: module or even board be given to the 1st place winner? Do you guys know how cheap these boards are? I understand the reason for raffle draws (give the chance for everyone to win something) but there should be some kind of incentives for winning a WORLD TITLE.

1st or last, you meet new friends. Even just watching the race but that's just not the only reason why we spend big bucks and pls don't tell me that you go out and pay $1000 for the ticket/hotel to meet new friends...
Tjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 12:54 PM   #9
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
figure 8 we actually tried it once!

early in the kyosho usa movement it was said they would bring back the mini-z cup which did what you described, for the most part. it had requirements retailer had to meet before they would host an event at the retailers location but they did bring a series to locations, managed the event and prizes. it had it's flaws for sure but it was great for the community. i really wish they would bring the series back to the usa. hell, we tried to get kyosho interested in attending nekocon which drew 3k. just couldn't get it done.

i am happy that 3rd party manufacturers are still doing something to fill the void given the recession and higher costs. imagine for a second what would happen if they didn't... i'd be happy to win a candy bar and call it a day. the expectation that people will travel around the world for mini-z racing is crazy to begin with. unless your a sponsored driver your reach ends with regionals. even those can be challenging given the short reach they have geographically.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 01:21 PM   #10
bcpzx3

Quote:
I had to post this because others can but wont, so let me be that guy and I'm cool with that... I'd like to thank you guys for sharing your opinions. Others needs to see these kinds of input.

Back in January 2008, my first real race, Atomic had an event (West Coast Regonals) and during this time, Atomic had more parts on the shelves than PN. The 1st place winners on both mod (AWD and 2WD) gets a plane ticket to Hong Kong. Let me repeat that, a plane ticket to HONG KONG. A year later, they gave out the same prizes, plane tickets to HK. I understand the economy is tough but that didn't stop the racers/drivers into supporting fully on PN parts especially here in US. They may have not spend as much as they did before, but they were spending money and going to their Regionals.

Every big event race I go to has raffle draws that are sponsored by KO, Kyosho, etc... Why not have few of those parts such as: module or even board be given to the 1st place winner? Do you guys know how cheap these boards are? I understand the reason for raffle draws (give the chance for everyone to win something) but there should be some kind of incentives for winning a WORLD TITLE.

1st or last, you meet new friends. Even just watching the race but that's just not the only reason why we spend big bucks and pls don't tell me that you go out and pay $1000 for the ticket/hotel to meet new friends...

In my own opinion, I only did the current PNWC because it was local. As far as the france one, I don't think me and 90% of the locals are willing to travel that far to compete in a race just for bragging rights and a trophy. If PN actually offered something more, than it would give more interest. Possibly the top 3 winners a sponsorship contract, or a handful of useful PN parts? Not sure what people are suppose to do with Mini-Z buggy wheels and tires, Or the extremely vintage mr-02 setup board.

Ken and Grant do a great job with supporting PN and helping fellow racers, but they can only do so much when the owner himself isn't willing to give back to the community.
Old 2012.11.14, 01:37 PM   #11
ARN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpzx3 View Post
Ken and Grant do a great job with supporting PN and helping fellow racers, but they can only do so much when the owner himself isn't willing to give back to the community.
most ignorant comment of the year award goes too......
ARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 01:46 PM   #12
imxlr8ed

Quote:
No, but I have spent tons on track, lap counter, loaner cars. I used to spend $$$ to rent a facility every week too (if it wasn't for my basement, there would be no Zs in my area).

Maybe I'm not in it to win it, but I'm still having fun! I can vividly recall certain moments from races, little snippets of track time, interesting traffic scenarios, good passes on others and on me, spectacular movie-style crashes, days when the cars handles exquisitely and days when I couldn't hit anything but rails. All of these tiny moments come to mind much easier than who won what and when.

I get where you're coming from though... but it's just the way this is going lately with the dwindling amount of Z racers around.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 01:50 PM   #13
phea
Dexterous

Send a message via AIM to phea
Quote:
The 1st place winners on both mod (AWD and 2WD) gets a plane ticket to Hong Kong. Let me repeat that, a plane ticket to HONG KONG. A year later, they gave out the same prizes, plane tickets to HK.
I was one of the fortunate few from the US to win a ticket to HK and wanted to chime on this. I received free hotel and air fair, Atomic reps picked me up w/ their own tour bus from the airport, during the race you were able to trade your old atomic parts for brand new replacements (defiantly took advantage of this), free tour bus ride to the after race banquet which was also free, with all the racers, and a tour of their company. Also a sponsorship for a year, not the ones for parts at cost, but free parts.

From my understanding the Atomic's presence in the US is not what it used to because of PN's dominance over here and they understand that. I still support Atomic because of how they have treated me in the past. My car's for this years race was about 90-95% atomic, other than the mandatory PN motor and wheels for certain classes. I have no problem with what PN is doing now and I appreciate them holding world races annually and I still have fun racing with the PN guys. However it wouldn't hurt for PN to spice things up for their world championship races a little since this is their home country.

Last edited by phea; 2012.11.14 at 01:55 PM.
phea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.11.14, 01:57 PM   #14
bcpzx3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARN View Post
most ignorant comment of the year award goes too......
Ah.. only if you were there at PNWC, there were numerous people who were unsatisfied with his efforts to help the racers. Ignorant you are.
Old 2012.11.14, 02:40 PM   #15
ARN

ok, help me understand.

I want names specific to each question.

I would like to know who paid and provided the timing system & PC hardware.
I would like to know who provided the track and who set it up. Including details of the arrangement in getting the space to hold the event in the mall.
I would like to know who prepared and organized the heats & mains.
I would like to know who provided spec motors, and cost to the racer of each motor.
I would like to know who pays for web sites and design for you and I to follow the event....
And the drivers stand, where did that come from? what was the cost?
who provided the sound system? who announced, was he paid?
who shipped and hauled all of what I listed? was there a trailer for this stuff? how much did that cost?
Was there any banners? who paid for them?
I guess that's all that come to mind for now....

does your name pop up on any of these questions? I was not there so please fill me in....
ARN is offline   Reply With Quote