Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.12.31, 01:43 PM   #1
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Send a message via AIM to latency
CP Cup car setups

Heya folks,

We are getting more and more of the Tom Thumb regulars into racing the Cup Cars. One of the things we have noticed with the conversions is the cars seem to really want to flip around on left handed turns. We race our cup cars on the road course, so no LTO here, but a few of us are struggling with a setup to combat this issue. Seems like the f1's (not converted) may not have been as prone to this.

This past week, I was able to get my car to handle a bit better, but it still wanted to turn on itself on the left handers.

My setup:

- Kyo ribbed 30 G front tires
- Kyo ribbed 20 G rear tires
- green front springs
- red rear springs
- Kyo diff
- Xspeed
- 8 tooth pinion

One of the things I did late last night was dig up a 2 year old megatech huge mono-shock. It was long enough that I could make a mount for it and use it on the rear of the cup car. I am hoping that having some rear adjustability will help in dialing out the tendency to flip on itself so easily. I have checked the tweak, and it looks to be ok, pretty much spot on.

Do you guys have a good working setup?

Pic of shock:

BMW M3 GTR MR02 PNRacing Speedy powered
Corvette C5R MR01 PNRacing Speedy powered
Cup Car conversion ChaserRC Stock Modified powered

KoPropo Helios 10EX
latency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.31, 02:15 PM   #2
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

that looks close to what we did. there is also a mod we do with the motor pod. See if you can spot it.

The early bird gets the worm, But it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.12.31, 02:17 PM   #3
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

also, with the shock, take it apart and remove the rubber o rings. this way, the spring is the only damper to it and it really softens it up.

Old 2004.12.31, 02:37 PM   #4
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULANGELO
that looks close to what we did. there is also a mod we do with the motor pod. See if you can spot it.

Thanks for posting that Paulangelo, I just noticed, you have a better way of mounting that shock on the antenna mount, more level in your setup. I will change mine to match...but I am lost on the motor pod bit...no clue there. Just see a heat sink

KoPropo Helios 10EX
Old 2004.12.31, 02:38 PM   #5
latency
Mini-Z Race Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULANGELO
also, with the shock, take it apart and remove the rubber o rings. this way, the spring is the only damper to it and it really softens it up.
Great idea, will do!

KoPropo Helios 10EX
Old 2004.12.31, 03:59 PM   #6
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

I mounted the shock like that so I could also have the antena mounted in it's original place without touching more metal. that causes glitching big time. The motor mount mod is this (hope I can articulate what we did) remove the back springs and the two screws that hold the motor pod to the suspension plates. then drill a hole so you can put kingpins through the hole the screws just came out of. then you can put various strength springs and the front end spacers that came with a MR02. then a C clip to hold it all together. Makes the motor pod "float". You can see the springs I have are the green ones. Hope that helps

Old 2004.12.31, 08:17 PM   #7
Capt. Oversteer

here is a picture of my set up. I also drilled out the motor pod, but it is so a small tube will fit. I the tube screwed to the flex plates with counter sunk screws, and counter sank the plates a small amount to let screws pivot a small amount as the chassis rolls in the turns. I tool a longer screw and threaded it into the other end of the tube and locked it with a jam nut. i had some nylon washers laying around that fit over the tube and work well as a spring seat. At the top I put some bushings that are used in 1/10th scale control arms, i shortened them with my dremel. they work well to hold the spring centered. I cut the head of the screw off and use stock wheel nuts to adjust the tension of the spring
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00473.JPG (149.2 KB, 32 views)