Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Events

Old 2003.08.04, 07:56 PM   #16
Pro-Z Racing

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Z Racing
Need rules that will last not just accommodate the new car of the day.

I understand the need for a low cost class, a beginner class however RC Racing is a hobby and should not restrict anyone from using or developing better equipment. First off your Max wheelbase already bans the MZ2 with any new bodys. As it's minimum wheelbase is 98mm- 105mm i think, i'm not 100% on that.

In 1/10th oval they used to do a stock and Pro stock. That would fit the low cost drivers into stock.

1/28th Stock Class any RTR ready to run on market bought off the shelf.
1/28th Pro Stock class 50 turn motor limit any car you built that includes added parts to.
1/28th Open Mod Class.

i would open up all classes to foam tire. For $10 the cost is minimal and the performance gain is tremendous every class would benefit from better handling cars. Some tracks rubber tire works better, people just want to use what ever works best. I think they should have the option.

Just because Kyosho is the only 1/28th RTR shouldn't mean all rules are based around it. it won't be that way forever and then the entire rule structure has to be reevaluated each time. For instance the antenna rule. Any real receiver has a silicone wire not sprung steel. Lets get away from being forced to glitch.
Pro-Z Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.06, 09:42 PM   #17
Maximo

I think the R/C TV dude said Proposed Rules...

This many have been premature on his part by posting some rules but I think he has the perfect platform that sold me....

And that is promoting R/C mini-z racing on National TV!!!

So posting rules is foolish at this point in time.
I like to talk more to this R/C TV guy.

I like his idea.....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.08, 04:55 AM   #18
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

Maximo we aren't discussing IamZ rules here. They may decide any rules they want and they should feel free to join the rest of us in this discussion about rules and regulations for mini-z / scale 1:24 - 1:28 racing.

But this is just a general discussion and not a discussion to decide what rules IamZ should or should not implement.
I guess that the small group of men are the ones that present the racing rules of Iamz.

So come and join our foolish quest to sort out some fun rules and regulations that people can use for free. How would YOU, Maximo like to race your scale 1:27(?) miniracer, today and tomorrow?
Kagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.18, 06:19 PM   #19
Sky
Are We Z Yet?

I'm with Pro Z, IF a car has a stock motor, it is a stock car. I race offroad, and you can have hop ups all over your car, and a stock motor and race in the stock class. Visa Versa, you can have a completely stock car with bushings, and a mod motor and run in the mod class. It is the powerplant that determines stock or not. You can also run whatever tire/wheel you think is the best on the track that day. And that is my experiance after 4 years of racing.

You think you know....But you have NO...I.. DEA

Last edited by Sky; 2003.08.18 at 06:22 PM.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.07, 01:26 PM   #20
DavidDeLaurier
55 Degree Films

The whole tire debate is stupid. Chosing the correct tire for that day is part of the drivers skill in determining the correct setup for the race. I agree with Sky, the motor should determine who races in what class.
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII - Red
Landcruiser Overland - Silver
--------------------------------------
DavidDeLaurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.10, 05:57 AM   #21
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

I dont recognize a great debate about tires in this topic. Isn't it more a debate over chassis and electronics..?
Old 2003.09.10, 10:03 AM   #22
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
if tires were an issue, it would be that foams make a mess some more than others... so some tracks might not want the foam dust all over their tracks, cuz it would make it slippery for the rubber tires . -- and traction compound, some tracks dont want their track messed up with the compound... I ran my mini-z on a well used and ready to retire 1:10 track... the tires all but melted from the traction compound that was left by all the 1:10 cars on the track..

Other than this, tires should be a use what ever works... unless its "newbie day"...

The Mini-Z is low priced, so low budget racers are going to want to play too... so tracks that hold events, will NEED a newbie class or they will not sell as many new sets to those that cant afford the hop up parts the same day... this is the only reason I have a box-stock in my class concept (in previous post in this thread)... tires and other parts need to be limited in these classes, because the victor would be he who can afford a set of each tire, foam or rubber, and has the time to test them all on the track... thus tires do have a valid reason to be limited.. however the track facility hosting the track could just have "Rookie Day", on a day other than the races so its seperate from "Pro-Day". Rookie Day would be where they have one or two races between open practice, these could be spur of the moment races... all rookies all "stock"... the budget racers... you have to let the "toys" (as pro-z calls them) in too, even if its a different day or event, to support the hobby interest, after all that is how the Mini-Z began, and what it is, A TOY... it was never intended to be raced... it was just a novelty that cought on fast... for newbie day, the same logic with the tires would be applied to the other parts as well.. reason for keeping them stock. (budget).

Now when i say a different event, I mean as different as say, the race classes we are trying to weed out would be the Formula One... while newbie day would be nascar.... (almost literaly heh).

Last edited by Draconious; 2003.09.10 at 10:06 AM.
Draconious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.17, 01:36 PM   #23
Sky
Are We Z Yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kagan
I dont recognize a great debate about tires in this topic. Isn't it more a debate over chassis and electronics..?
It should not matter what your chassis looks like, or what electronics you are equipt with. Stock motor = Stock car.

You think you know....But you have NO...I.. DEA
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.09.17, 04:45 PM   #24
Pro-Z Racing

If we want theses small scale cars to be treated with the same regard they should run the same rules.

Tires = The best tire for the track goes
Body = Any body you want just set a minimum weight for the total car.
Chassis = run what ever you want as long as it's the same class vehicle.

no whinning, Race & Have Fun. If you want to win Practice Practice Practice.

Drac- I call them toys because they have more in common with radio shack than real rc cars. A good rule of thumb is if it uses little springy things to hold the batteries in, it's a toy. Not a Race Car.
Old 2003.09.18, 08:14 AM   #25
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

We have just chosen rules for the coming season here in Sweden. We have divided it in three different classes;

- Stock

- Stock modified

- Pro, Scale 1:27

I believe that we will land with only two classes the next time we go through the rules. The Kyosho debate has been a little bit to strong to be able to reach that goal now.

I’ll give a short summary of the more important technical data for the Pro, scale 1:27 class;

Body
Any material allowed, must fit in to the given measures below. The body must be a replica of a real existing car.

Engine
Any 130 engine allowed.

Electronics
Any receiver, speed control, and servo allowed

Tires & Rims
Any tires allowed (rubber, foam) as long as they fit inside the body.

Cells
Maximum four NiMh cells

Measures
Max wide 3.27” or 83mm (side mirrors not incl.)
Max Wheel base 4.17” or 106 mm
Max Length: 7.09” or 180 mm
Minimum weight: 0.3858 Pound (lb) or 2700 grain or 175 gram (g)
Old 2003.09.18, 01:53 PM   #26
Pro-Z Racing

Kagan - Thats a really good start to organized racing. Question on the cells. Is it limited to no larger than AAA.

On the Stock Mod Stock where do the yokamo sonics and MZ02 fit in.
Old 2003.09.18, 02:59 PM   #27
Pro-Z Racing

The Kyosho Debate? When Ill Handling Cars Unite to ban all opposition and form small groups of low quality racing across the world.

The basic complaint is that there car handles so poorly it has little chance of hanging with other car designs. It's Like the little kid saying your better than me you can't play.
Old 2003.09.18, 03:09 PM   #28
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

Thanks!

The Swedish stock class is a very basic starting class. Great consideration has been taken to the fact that kids (of any ages) should be able to race at a low cost with the toy they just have bought from the shell.

Our stock class is a ready-set class. And since the only ready sets available are the Kyosho MR-01 and MR-02 these two are the only ones allowed as of right now. The rules are open to any ready set in scale 1:24 – 1:28, so if Yokomo sonic starts to sell their cars as a ready set they should be ok.

About the cells,

after much debate (and consideration about the Sonic) we choose to limit the cells to 4 NiMh, no matter what size. ˝ AAA, 7/5 AAA or AA, anything that makes you happy.. The stock and the Stock mod. Classes must follow the recommended cells sizes, as of right now AAA. But in the Pro class it’s open for anybody to use their imagination.
Old 2003.09.24, 09:52 AM   #29
Kagan
Mini-Z Novice

4wd!?

We're having a discussion in Sweden if we should allow or forbid 4wd in our racing classes.

How do others discuss this? Or haven’t you even considered it?

What is the future style of international 1:27 scale racing in a two, three year’s perspective, 2wd or 4wd?

Is 4wd allowed at your competitions? When I go through the rules in the posts above, no one has written anything about 2 or 4 wd. Then some people can draw the conclusion that 4wd is allowed.. is that correct?

Please, provide us with your opinions and suggestions.
Old 2003.09.24, 08:05 PM   #30
Pro-Z Racing

I would play it by ear. If you have at least 5 4wd cars at the track run them in there own class. Less than 5 cars let them get smoked in the 2wd class. 4wd is absolutely no advantage in handling or performance in a small scale car. I would let the 4 wd run more cells to try and even out the racing.