Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.02.23, 08:21 AM   #16
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Unless ccson wants to volunteer for this (since he knows him?), I'll try to stop by on a long lunch. Not sure if I can pull that off today, though. Aside from space requirements and explaining our racing schedule/setup, what outstanding questions are there? I assume we will be traveling light if we are setting up in the middle of the mall: per jleecov's comment above it doesn't sound like he has the space in-shop. In that case pit tables might not be as much of an issue as say, power outlets.

If we can arrange a weekend meeting that would probably be better, since my lunch hour will be burned by the travel time alone, and any time I spend talking will be extra (and therefore a bit hurried).
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.23, 09:15 AM   #17
ccson

HobbyWorks and other things

What's up, DC GTG?

I was planning to leave work early today, so I can drop by and speak with Courtney.

I was thinking of bringing a printout of the HFAY rules, some pics of the track setups and maybe some pics of one of our GTGs to give him an idea of our space needs. Any other ideas?

Spoon: I appreciate the encouraging words about the last GTG. I can't blame the chassis: I just need to spend more time tuning and practicing.

I have not had too many problems with the MR-02, so I guess I was due.
The AWD is a learning experience but I will figure it out eventually.

Anyway, the way everyone else has improved, my main goal is to just be competitive, even if I don't win (which is a common theme these days).

I will let you guys know what happens at HobbyWorks.

Peace.
ccson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.23, 09:24 AM   #18
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccson
What's up, DC GTG?

I was planning to leave work early today, so I can drop by and speak with Courtney.

I was thinking of bringing a printout of the HFAY rules, some pics of the track setups and maybe some pics of one of our GTGs to give him an idea of our space needs. Any other ideas?
I think some pics of the GTG's and layouts is a great idea. The HFAY rules might be a little overkill but maybe not. It's probably a good idea the more I think about it.

Do you have a camera you could use to take some pics of the space?

Also, just confirm with him that we would like to setup on March 10th and maybe confirm that he isn't having a Pokemon tournament that day.

Soy, thanks for offering to take the drive also.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.23, 06:36 PM   #19
ccson

HobbyWorks in Fairfax

I spoke with Courtney again and he showed me a space in the mall in front of his store.

It is about 16' by 75'. He said we could split the space with the Pokemon tournament. There is also another 16' by 6' space where we could have our pits.

There are several places for fast food in and near the mall.
He said he may also purchase a few cars for he and his staff to race.

I just ordered a few AWD motors from him, so I will let you know about the shipping time.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am planning to drop by with the digital camera and snap some pics.
Old 2007.02.23, 06:41 PM   #20
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccson
I spoke with Courtney again and he showed me a space in the mall in front of his store.

It is about 16' by 75'. He said we could split the space with the Pokemon tournament. There is also another 16' by 6' space where we could have our pits.

There are several places for fast food in and near the mall.
He said he may also purchase a few cars for he and his staff to race.

I just ordered a few AWD motors from him, so I will let you know about the shipping time.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I am planning to drop by with the digital camera and snap some pics.
Great! Thanks for the update CCSON...looking forward to pics. This is a most excellent 100th post.
Old 2007.02.23, 07:56 PM   #21
jleecov

CCSON - Thanks for checking it out.

If this place works out, would we race there every month?
jleecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.23, 08:27 PM   #22
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
thats a possibility... it's a bit early to take that on but if its what you guys want, it's what we will do.

it sounds like the space is on the narrow side. i have a feeling many of our track layouts exceed 16' in one direction.

Last edited by arch2b; 2007.02.23 at 08:32 PM.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.23, 11:16 PM   #23
imxlr8ed

Just remember... take lot's of flyers !

Good luck with the new venue !

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.23, 11:20 PM   #24
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleecov
CCSON - Thanks for checking it out.

If this place works out, would we race there every month?
It's probably too early to tell right now. We'll use this as a feeler and see if it's worth the trouble.
Old 2007.02.25, 06:11 PM   #25
ccson

HobbyWorks

What's up, DC GTG?

Attached are some pics I took of the HobbyWorks location.
Notice the bench and patrons for scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HobbyWorks front low.jpg (195.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg HobbyWorks corner low.jpg (220.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg HobbyWorks long view low.jpg (206.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg HobbyWorks long view 2 low.jpg (221.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 2007.02.25, 06:49 PM   #26
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Interesting...So we'll be outside of the shop in the common area? I guess I didn't quite get that when I spoke to him on the phone. Thanks for getting those pics.

I guess he sets up the Pokemon tourneys outside of the shop too? How much foot traffic is there?

One last question...are we confirmed with the March 10th, should we plan on showing up there with tracks and cars?

...and we can talk about flyers at some point too.
Old 2007.02.25, 06:57 PM   #27
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
what are some potential problems with setting up in a common area? how does he close this area off?

where is the pit area in relation to the open area?

i don't mind foot traffic however i will not be providing a rental or loaner service for foot traffic or curious onlookers.

i'm leary about leaving hundreds of dollars worth of stuff out in a common area as well. pokemon cards are one thing but $300 cars are another. not to mention my laptop and core.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.25, 07:10 PM   #28
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

ccson: Thanks for the pics.

This is about what I'd expected from jleecov's comments, hence my note about traveling light. The only thing I'm still wondering about at this point is power access (pit tables would be nice, but are not as necessary). I can have my batts charged beforehand, but we will at least need enough juice to run a laptop with core (that goes double for the endurance race).

Assuming we find a power source this should probably work out fine for the endurance race. Not so sure about regular GTGs though...it's been many a year since I hung out at a mall on purpose, much less on a semi-regular basis.

Edit: arch, I agree, both The Ringer and I have a bit of hesitation in that reguard (just because you're paranoid...). I'd assumed wherever we set up core, we'd leave our equipment (preferably not all over the place), and would have at least one person at all times watching the loot. If nothing else I could probably convince my wife to watch it for us, and my daughter could bug me during the races for a change.

Last edited by soyverde; 2007.02.25 at 07:13 PM.
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.25, 07:37 PM   #29
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

I'm sorry but I really don't like the idea about setting up in front of the store. I agree with soy this could possibly work for endurance race but not for a gtg. Call me paranoid but I don't like the idea of any of my stuff being out in the open whether somebody is watching the stuff or not. If it wasn't in a mall where there is alot of foot traffic it wouldn't bother me as much. If we could set up in the store rather than in front of it, it probaly wouldn't be as bad. Plus people could walk through the track while racing accidently or on purpose. I'm sorry but I don't like this.
TheRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.25, 08:35 PM   #30
imxlr8ed

Yes... take only what you need. Helps to have banners around the track too. You basically have to gate your stuff to the public. You'll also see in our pictures that I used sheets to cover the tables, we taped the sheets to the floor on the side facing the general public so someone couldn't reach in and grab something. Keep all your gear as close together as possible and always post someone on "guard duty".

Yes... it would all be much easier to do if you had one wall, and banners. That way all of your gear could go against the wall, and you could just stand to the sides of the gear.

Here's pics from our mall event... I originally requested a wall to use but they stuck us out in the middle of the floor. That's when the sheets came into play.

http://dorksonwheels.com/gallery/thu...s.php?album=18

As bad as Reading can be sometimes (example: I once parked in front of my sister's uniform apparel business, behind 2 cop cars, with the cops just inside the door, on a busy street, with my doors locked, broad daylight... went in for 5 minutes... came out and my car stereo was gone !)... we didn't get one thing stolen that day.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2007.02.25 at 08:38 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote