Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.12.25, 06:47 AM   #1
HaCo
02-Racer

Lightbulb Using ASF in other transmitters...

Hey guys,
Since last week I'm a proud owner of an EX-1UR with ASF module (RF-901SM). Before I had the KT-18, with the known throttle problem.

I remembered seeing pics of the inside of the KT-18, which looked quite simple: some buttons and small components combined with a big module that does all the hard 2,4GHz work.

Now, I had a tip from one of my Z buddies, who told me that you could remove the physical antenna of the EX-1UR module (RF-901SM), just by placing the wire of that antenna in the module. It was an easy fix, so I opened the case and did the job. But, surprise, surprise: inside the module, there was another module that looked quite the same as the KT-18 module.

So I started unscrewing my KT-18 to have a peek inside, here are the images:

The module (RF-901SM) inside looks like this:

This is the big module where I'm talking about, the KTSS-701, which is in both the KT-18 as in the RF-901SM:

I wonder if this could give us some opportunities. I have my EX-1UR now, which was quite expensive, but would it be hard to modify a regular transmitter to use the module?

I think it should, the easiest way to do this, is to use the complete RF-901SM, why is that easy? Because it is already done in for example the Futaba Tx, simply by rewiring the pins or using the PN adapter.

But, if it would be possible by using the KTSS-701 module, it would give the opportunity to re-use the KT-18 Tx components, which will be eating dust anyway when its KTSS module is used in another Tx.

The theory you need to know is that in a Tx you have path from your fingers to the transmitter. Your finger sets a position on a pot meter. A micro controller with some A/D controller in it will code the signal to something like PCM. This micro controller will also trim your steering in case of a digital Tx, it would also add a logarithmic feeling to your throttle if you have set this up,... but the most important thing is that it codes this signal something like PCM.
This PCM signal is then modulated to an RF signal and put on an antenna, that could be AM, FM, on 27MHz or 40MHz or in the case of ASF it uses DSS on 2,4GHz.

I think in case of the KTSS module, the coded signal is presented at it signal ports and the KTSS module only modulates the signal.

So if you would be able to extract the coded signal from an old digital Tx and send it into the KTSS module, then you have a converted digital Tx with ASF.

I'm not saying I will be able to do all this, I'm just saying it could be interesting for some of us the find a cheap way to convert an older digital transmitter (like the Futaba 2PL) with the KTSS module.

What you guys think? Maybe some experience, some tips to help me on the way? Anything is welcome.

Here's another informative site:
http://www.mini-z-guide.com/radio.htm

Last edited by HaCo; 2008.12.25 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Spell Check...
HaCo is offline   Reply With Quote