Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.08.06, 10:59 PM   #1
metal_on_metal
Mini-Z Tuner

Whoa! crazy clearance issues!

Hi all,

I just bought my first Z. It came with an extra body (Mugen NSX) which I just put on to use while I am painting up my other body (Altezza).

Although the body looks to be sitting quite level on the car, the rear deck (for lack of a better term.. .the flat area between the rear window and the spoiler pedestals) sits very close to the top of the motor underneath. My spring damper seems to clear OK (it tucks up under the rear glass) but the tight fit between the motor and the rear deck is actually limiting rear suspension action quite severly compared to my Altezza body.

Is this normal for the NSX? I've read about raising the mounts, etc but don't really want to have the back end jacked up so high that it looks like a GT car fitted with air shocks

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-Trevor
Old 2003.08.07, 01:07 AM   #2
timinater
Zamatuer

Send a message via AIM to timinater
sadkghda

Mark where the rear shock is on the body/window. After you ahve it marked out dremel out that area so the shock sticks out the window and can travel fully. If you dont have a dremel you can drill a bunch of holes close together then just break the plastic inbetween the holes(make sure you have the holes VERY close together or olse you will wreck it) then file/sand it down.
Old 2003.08.07, 02:52 AM   #3
herman

nope... you don't have to put a hole in the windshield.... here's a thread... and some other tips that might help...

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/sho...light=nsx+tips
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.07, 08:43 AM   #4
metal_on_metal
Mini-Z Tuner

Thanx guys

I found the referenced thread not moments after posting this one (d'oh!).

The odd thing is the damper is clearing the body just fine. It is the motor assembly that is contacting the bodywork. This is limiting the rear suspension travel significantly, although articulation (body roll) is fine.. ...I am worried about running out of wheel travel on acceleration/deceleration and consequent wheel hop, etc.

I think I might dremel out the rear deck to allow some more motor clearance (I suppose this will aid in cooling as well). I might alternatively try some heat-forming.. ..heating up the deck with a heat gun and then pressing on it from below with a solid object of the approximate size and shape I need.. ..like say a C-cell battery.

It looks as if the front end will need some help as well since one of the wheels will bind in the wheelwell even with a hard fron spring.

Is there any "Wide Body" (e.g., Supra, Vette) that has good durability and few clearance issues? I get the feeling that one of them must stand out from the others.

Thanks Again!
-Trevor
Old 2003.08.07, 09:10 AM   #5
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

Hey Trevor, I'll be at the track tonight. I run the Vette and have NO PROBLEMS with it (except my driving of course ) If you do a search for the C5R you will find not one bad thing said about it and only good. I have 2 of them one for stock tonight and the other setup for the mods. Just setup the mod one last night so inbetween heats I am going to work on it's setup. Maybe see you there tonight.
PAULANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.07, 09:30 AM   #6
metal_on_metal
Mini-Z Tuner

Cool Beans

I'd like to make it down tonight.. ...I have a Dr appt for my son at 6 PM up at exit 11 and am unsure if I can make it down in time to race or not. If I can get out later on I'll try to stop by!!

-Trevor
Old 2003.08.07, 09:56 AM   #7
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

cool, Me and my son Matthew will be there for the stock series raceing.
Old 2003.08.07, 11:29 AM   #8
Slicks

Metal on Metal - have you tried changing to a stiffer H plate? If you are using the stock H plate it does have a problem with the motor pod hitting the window on the NSX. Switch out to a better H plate and that problem should be corrected.

We run a couple of the NSX bodies and had the same problem - switching to a better H plate fixed it.

SLICKS
Slicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.08, 09:06 AM   #9
metal_on_metal
Mini-Z Tuner

HRmm..

I have an aftermarket H-plate on (dunno exact stiffness but it is clearly stiffer than the flimsy stocker).

I also have a spring damper.. ..so maybe I can increase the preload a bit too.

PaulAngelo: sorry I didn't make it down to meet you guys last night.. ..I was too busy to get there

I think what I need to do is bring the dremel tool with me and get the car on the track to see if the clearance is even an issue. The car hasn't been run on the course with this body/tire combo yet so I'll give it a go (hopefully tonight) and see what the lap times are.

Chances are I'll have the NSX body setup dialed in just in time to switch back to my Altezza I'd rather run the Altezza but am unsure if I can use the wider wheelset from the NSX on that body without getting into more clearance issues LOL.

-Trevor

Last edited by metal_on_metal; 2003.08.08 at 09:03 PM.
metal_on_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.08, 09:08 PM   #10
metal_on_metal
Mini-Z Tuner

**UPDATE**

I ground out the underside of the body near the front fenderwells (not visible on the topside ) and took the NSX to the track. Suspension travel (on either end) was not an issue there; the car basically handled the same with and without the body.

I wound up dialing in a lot of rear spring preload (in an effort to throw some extra weight to the front and get rid of some understeer) and the effect here was of course to raise the rear end so the motor/body clearance really wasn't going to present a problem.

Although I got more neutral steering I also got a bit of scrape on the front spoiler (preload + 1 shim under each spindle to lower it) but lap times were good and on pace.

In the end I decided that I didn't like the looks of the NSX after all so I went ahead and picked up a Supra LOL. The Supra body (still with the NSX suspension settings) was pretty much identical to the NSX but seems to offer more front end clearance below the spoiler and more unrestricted suspenision action in the rear.

I think I found my new "keeper" body

-Trevor
Old 2003.08.08, 09:34 PM   #11
PAULANGELO
Mini -Z Mutilator

Sorry I wasn't there tonight, I would have talked you into the Vette!
Old 2003.08.10, 05:17 PM   #12
mini-z racing
Team Losi

Send a message via AIM to mini-z racing
I like that supra. Trevor are you going to be there thursday??
www racingcity com
mini-z racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.08.10, 07:46 PM   #13
metal_on_metal
Mini-Z Tuner

well I hope to be there.

Everything went horribly wrong on my Civic suspension work over the weekend. The lower shock mount bolt snapped (which is apparently common on these cars) and I spent about 17 hrs over both days grinding and drilling out the mount so the car would be streetable again

I still need to finish up the work and I will probably begin again on weeknights this week, doing a little bit at a time (I expect the other side to have the same problems).

Worst come to worst I'll be there on Thrusday but will have to carry the Z to the track on my motorcycle (good thing these Zs are so small ). I doubt I'll be able to get any practice in between now and then though.

I love the Supra body too Wheel and suspension clearance are good and the handling seems to be quite neutral. Plus it looks so good I think I'll try to stick with that body style from now on.

-Trevor