Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Off-Topic

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.83 average. Display Modes
Old 2011.12.30, 10:36 AM   #16
twinkie

its not that bad dealing with Kyosho... working for another manufacturer, I can tell you one problem that I see, is that in this economy nobody wants to keep items in stock unless they move. And as more hobby shops go online as well to do business, they want the manufacturers to do all the leg work and drop ship the items for them. I opened up an online store, but I try to keep a lot of stuff on hand, it makes it easier on the manufacturer. It doesn't matter on if it is a "brick and mortar" hobby shop, or an online hobby store.... nobody wants to keep inventory, its lower overhead.

Another thing is HK can sell stuff for less because the shipping from Japan to HK is going to be less than, sending a container from Japan to L.A... so those shipping cost get factored into "dealer" pricing. Its roughly about $3000.00 to send a container. And if its sent by air mail... that get expensive, and that's a much much smaller shipment.
twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.30, 10:41 AM   #17
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i think you might find many shops carry over the impression of kyosho from the early days of mini-z when it was not pleasant. i do know that order fulfillment is an issue, i hear this often.

agreed' on inventory. the name of the game today is how far can you go with as little overhead as possible. plain and simple really, stores need to reduce overhead and not sit on product as long as maybe they could have 6 years ago.

i dislike drop shipping in general. who here has ordered track and not gotten part of it, missing parts, etc? nothing the shop you bought it from can do really as post sale, they have no control over it.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.30, 11:22 AM   #18
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshosan View Post
I miss the time when Kyosho was distributed, in North America, by Tower Hobbies, it was so much easier to get parts than it is today. Although I love the brand, every time I go into a Hobby Shop and ask for Kyosho products, I get the same story from the owner on how difficult it is to deal w/ Kyosho America...
Having two hobbyshops nearby that actively sell Kyosho, Kyosho America (KA) has greatly improved the ease in working with them. I help the shops with their Mini-z orders and KA will take a phone order, web order, or an e-mail. There are no minimums anymore and their is no processing fees on small orders. I can't imagine being easier to work with.

I will say I've spoken to other shops in an effort to get Mini-z racing expanded in the midwest and there were things in the past that did upset the owners to the point of refusing to carry Kyosho. These issues no longer exist and haven't for a while. Some shops don't want to re-open the conversation
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.30, 11:40 AM   #19
arch2b

yep, this is what i run into as well. due to the awful great planes relationship, many simply won't even take the risk or even want to try again. great planes monopoly was a HORRIBLE mistake on kjp's part. the creation of kusa was to rectify this and i think they are on the road to doing so. they still have issues to resolve for sure but no one wants to go back to the old days. kusa is still very much young. cliff and the gang there, they are great guys and i'm sure doing the best they can with the staff they have. kusa is not a huge company which i think some people have the misconception that they are.

while i still complain i am very greatful for the kusa guys and their efforts. its not an easy job and just imagine all the shop owners they have to deal with on top of north american warranty issues.... i'm sure whatever they are paid, it isn't enough.
Old 2011.12.30, 12:01 PM   #20
twinkie

the other thing about HK is look at the exchange rate... $5 US profit is $38 HK dollars.

I trully don't have any real complaints about Kyosho. And I can't agree more as a reseller as to hell with drop shipping. And that's mostly because I have to deal with the repercussions if anything goes wrong. i.e missing parts miss shipped items.
Old 2011.12.30, 01:48 PM   #21
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I can tell you one problem that I see, is that in this economy nobody wants to keep items in stock unless they move. And as more hobby shops go online as well to do business, they want the manufacturers to do all the leg work and drop ship the items for them.
As a hobbyshop or an online business you need to move the product you sell ....businesses need to become creative and discount and bundle things to make them more attractive to the consumer. That is all a part of a good sales strategy. Some examples....
Buy 2 get something as a discount....
Bundle a whole car package and offer a discount....if your a shop/ track offer free track/race passes...be creative...
Now in the hobbyworld we see MAP pricing and then we have street pricing....
Not to mention depending where you live sales tax in excess of 10%.....
Its a dog eat dog world and today the lowest price with the best value will always win.....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.30, 05:17 PM   #22
twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
As a hobbyshop or an online business you need to move the product you sell ....businesses need to become creative and discount and bundle things to make them more attractive to the consumer. That is all a part of a good sales strategy. Some examples....
Buy 2 get something as a discount....
Bundle a whole car package and offer a discount....if your a shop/ track offer free track/race passes...be creative...
Now in the hobbyworld we see MAP pricing and then we have street pricing....
Not to mention depending where you live sales tax in excess of 10%.....
Its a dog eat dog world and today the lowest price with the best value will always win.....
I'm in business, but at the same time I have a conscience... example... I am near to Inside Line Racing, in fact sometimes that place is my second home.
So to keep from "peeing in my water well" I won't sell mini-z stuff to anyone who is local. In fact my site tells you to go to ILR if you are in the area.

Now most people who do online... they don't care who they step on, they just see dollar signs.

My online store is for those who have a local hobby shop that won't carry or order the stuff they want.

Its a dog eats dog world... but sometimes running with a pack is a better way of doing things.

I'm not a fan of buying from over seas to save 20 bucks.... 20 dollars could be a couple hours pay for a hobby shop employee.

Actually maybe a bit more back on subject..

Maybe more people would get into Mini-Z if there was more Media involved.
Old 2011.12.30, 06:45 PM   #23
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I'm in business, but at the same time I have a conscience... example... I am near to Inside Line Racing, in fact sometimes that place is my second home.
So to keep from "peeing in my water well" I won't sell mini-z stuff to anyone who is local. In fact my site tells you to go to ILR if you are in the area.

Now most people who do online... they don't care who they step on, they just see dollar signs.

My online store is for those who have a local hobby shop that won't carry or order the stuff they want.

Its a dog eats dog world... but sometimes running with a pack is a better way of doing things.

I'm not a fan of buying from over seas to save 20 bucks.... 20 dollars could be a couple hours pay for a hobby shop employee.

Actually maybe a bit more back on subject..

Maybe more people would get into Mini-Z if there was more Media involved.
you have great mini z logic.....ILR is the best mini z facility in North America....
Realistically your business must be a way to keep you in z's with no cost out of your pocket. Feeding a family usually has no conscience...

Lets talk about your online sales business.....
someone buys a part from you and it arrives and it is broken. How do you treat it? (i am not picking on you)

I love ILR and I am going to use them as an example....
I saw a young man buy a new readyset (ex) i saw him getting better and he had the need for more speed. He went to Binh and wanted a larger pinion to go faster....Binh asked him if he could make it around the track clean without hitting any rails....The boy said yes but took his car out to test his words....well he came back and said in order for me to run clean I have to slow down.....Binh told him your not ready for the pinion....now fast forward....its 6 months later the boy is still racing and he now has a new TX and I believe Santa brought him another car....customer service goes a long way establishing long term customers....
I have seen way to many racers come and go....treating customers right goes a long way.......
Hop ups are great and they will make you faster but first you need to be able to drive the car.....practice is the best hop up....
That is why we are seeing a surge of truly box stock racing.....we need to get the word out that you dont need a $500 mini z to have fun.....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.30, 09:11 PM   #24
arch2b

stock class racing

won't happen really until sponsored racing series push stock class. none are doing this at the moment. heck, i can't even get my lhs to back it despite them suggesting it. it's my own opinion that the early days of national stock class racing is what helped build the fan base that sustained it through the lean years between great planes and kusa. i don't see the same number of new drivers entering anymore because few cater to them. it's like putting a expenditure requirement saying you need to spend X to get in some have tried starting a national series in the past and it always fell flat. kyosho is in the baby steps of getting their own racing going. some clubs or stores are getting back into stock class but it's limited and not connected in any way. i almost wish hfay would enter the stock class again, like it started from.
the economics of stock class are about building customers that will spend later vs. the immediate customers of the gt and modified classes. it's going to take someone or some group with some balls and courage to look at long term growth and really drive stock class series.

here is my issue that i'm dealing with, my lhs supports mini-z and racing with the provision that they supply the kyosho product and floor space, nothing else. i've asked and have always been told that they will not spend any additional monies for anything like new track, etc. it's a precarious relationship that works only because they have the space available that would otherwise go unused on the weekends we reserved it however they do not want to invest anything beyond supply product. at times it's a contentious point of frustration. at others, were thankful to at least have a space to race that is indoors, conditioned space, tables, chairs, power, etc. anywhere else would cost real money to provide.
how many others out there are symbiotic with an lhs? i'm never going to get them to invest money, how do i go about getting them to take charge in keeping a stock class going, which is in their own best interest? how do other groups finance club necessities such as track, timing system, transponders, etc.?

for shop owners, tracks are almost always a money pit. we've known many shop owners here on the forum that have had to close over the years. how do you keep it going and actually break even, if make a profit?

i have only seen pictures of nanotrax and ILR, lets go racing, Kenon, all of which are facilities that support mini-z fully. i know there are others but you don't see many pictures. if you have not seen nanotrax, that looks like a seriously top notch racing store. food counter, bar, lounge, store, pits, it's got just about everything one would need. it's just on the other side of the world i have serious doubts a store of that caliber could even exist much less survive here.

the forums here have always supported shops, especially such as these (excluding direct sales for obvious reasons). as a site admin however, i hardly see many take advantage of online exposure, advertising, etc. i know it takes time and time is more often that not a rare commodity. what more can we do, how can we make it easier?
Old 2011.12.30, 10:10 PM   #25
twinkie

Quote:
you have great mini z logic.....ILR is the best mini z facility in North America....
Realistically your business must be a way to keep you in z's with no cost out of your pocket. Feeding a family usually has no conscience...

someone buys a part from you and it arrives and it is broken. How do you treat it? (i am not picking on you)
Ok so first off Binh is awesome... if it wasn't for him I would be in the same crappy driving rut. But because of his driving advise, I'm with the front runners in our sportsman class.

So realistically, my business is a side business, as I work for another R/C manufacturer, that does not deal with R/C cars(so between you guys and me, I can still keep an eye on my site while at work...but shhhhh.... don't tell anyone) lol.

I started it not really to help with my hobby fund, but to actually grow and produce enough so that I can go back to school full-time, and well.... maybe run 1/10th scale. The ultimate goal is to get to a brick and mortar establishment.

I don't just sell mini-z. I sell all Kyosho, if I can get it, I'll sell it. And I am trying to expand the product line, when the funds allow it. I prefer not to drop ship.

Quote:
If anyone thinks that having an online web store selling only mini-z, and that's the only source of income is going to feed a family, and supply a roof over head...please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Quote:

This is a vague question ... so I will give two types of scenario's / answers

1a. The part is a small part, lets say t-plates. Lets say box got smashed and the plates broke.... send me a picture of the shipping box and the broken parts (preferably unopened package). I'll send out the new replacement parts before waiting for a shipping claim to be finished.

1b. Lets say its a mr02-ex ready set... that has just gotten beaten up in the mail...now this is a situation nobody likes to deal with, its not the customers fault, its not my(company) fault. Delivery guy just kicks it like a soccer ball.
Situations like this suck... And it would be handled in 1 or 2 ways... We have to file a claim to shipping (which takes a few weeks to be finished). 1. You can purchase a replacement, and when the claim goes through, we will refund you the original amount. 2. We wait for the claim to go through, then you have your option of having another kit sent out, or we refund you your money.

Not everyone is an angel... there has been mutiple times where the shipping company has caught the customer not telling the truth. One time I had a customer send us pictures that made no sense, where the damage was on the item, compared to the damage on the box didnt add up. There was only one way this item could be packaged, and the way the pics were made, we would not have been able to close the box, let alone the part would have been sticking out about 4inches.

2. Lets say you buy a mr-03 chassis set.... you get it, no shipping damage. You open it up pull the chassis out and notice its cracked. Send me a picture so I can see what you see... now I can suggest 2 ways to do this... 1. send it back and i can send you another one. 2. if you feel adventurous I can send you out a chassis replacement that you can change out yourself.

or you can call Kyosho directly because I'm a bad person, for sending you a chassis I didnt know what broken, and you don't like me

So there is a gamble when purchasing from a reputable online store....IS THE PACKAGE GOING TO MAKE IT IN ONE PEICE.
Where as in a hobby store... you can inspect it before you buy it. So you know DHL isn't playing NFL with your package.

Last edited by twinkie; 2011.12.30 at 10:15 PM.
Old 2011.12.30, 10:38 PM   #26
70hemicharger

Send a message via AIM to 70hemicharger Send a message via Yahoo to 70hemicharger
well im pretty tight on money but i have a small group i race with and a few mom and pop shops that deal with ous and have gone so far as to ask local schools for their gym space so that they can host races without having a huge store space for track and they try to keep up with what kyosho and other 1:28th scale rc's for ous its just a thoughtful way to help ous help them by providing a place for ous to gather and race and shot the breeze and bring their goods and make some sales yeah i could get it cheaper online but if i do that then what the local shops go under and im stuck playing with myself in my little basement. My group have quite a few towns we travel to but nothing to far out of range an lets just say their all small towns so the few rc shops that are their we like to promote and get kids intrestead by doing free race day where we bring are spare beater cars and let the kids get into it give them something to do because thats what it really comes down to we are only getting older and we need are youth to get into this to keep it going and im sure more parents rather go to walmart and buy some crappy rc truck then spend $150 or more on a mini-z but it might incourage that child to hey save some money go to that mom and pop shop and buy a decent rc car and get involed in something thats fun and challanging but if everything was bought online then these shops would close down and these small shops would be gone and these kids would have nothing to do but sit at home and play xbox or playstation. Not to mention its a give and take relationship. Yeah i can always try and find the best deal at the lostest price but i try to stay local and help local business and give are youth something to do to get them outside and also to promote small scale rc's. also by doing local business a local owner remebers your face they remeber you business you dont have to always buy in bluk to get a good deal. lets say a part breaks or your messing a piece they are more then happy to lend a hand or part. so besides my ranting im just trying to say its nice to help the little guys by doing your part as a buyer and thinking outside the boxs
70hemicharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.30, 11:35 PM   #27
twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
won't happen really until sponsored racing series push stock class. none are doing this at the moment. heck, i can't even get my lhs to back it despite them suggesting it. it's my own opinion that the early days of national stock class racing is what helped build the fan base that sustained it through the lean years between great planes and kusa. i don't see the same number of new drivers entering anymore because few cater to them. it's like putting a expenditure requirement saying you need to spend X to get in some have tried starting a national series in the past and it always fell flat. kyosho is in the baby steps of getting their own racing going. some clubs or stores are getting back into stock class but it's limited and not connected in any way. i almost wish hfay would enter the stock class again, like it started from.
the economics of stock class are about building customers that will spend later vs. the immediate customers of the gt and modified classes. it's going to take someone or some group with some balls and courage to look at long term growth and really drive stock class series.

here is my issue that i'm dealing with, my lhs supports mini-z and racing with the provision that they supply the kyosho product and floor space, nothing else. i've asked and have always been told that they will not spend any additional monies for anything like new track, etc. it's a precarious relationship that works only because they have the space available that would otherwise go unused on the weekends we reserved it however they do not want to invest anything beyond supply product. at times it's a contentious point of frustration. at others, were thankful to at least have a space to race that is indoors, conditioned space, tables, chairs, power, etc. anywhere else would cost real money to provide.
how many others out there are symbiotic with an lhs? i'm never going to get them to invest money, how do i go about getting them to take charge in keeping a stock class going, which is in their own best interest? how do other groups finance club necessities such as track, timing system, transponders, etc.?

for shop owners, tracks are almost always a money pit. we've known many shop owners here on the forum that have had to close over the years. how do you keep it going and actually break even, if make a profit?

i have only seen pictures of nanotrax and ILR, lets go racing, Kenon, all of which are facilities that support mini-z fully. i know there are others but you don't see many pictures. if you have not seen nanotrax, that looks like a seriously top notch racing store. food counter, bar, lounge, store, pits, it's got just about everything one would need. it's just on the other side of the world i have serious doubts a store of that caliber could even exist much less survive here.

the forums here have always supported shops, especially such as these (excluding direct sales for obvious reasons). as a site admin however, i hardly see many take advantage of online exposure, advertising, etc. i know it takes time and time is more often that not a rare commodity. what more can we do, how can we make it easier?

if there is a solid group... why not everyone pitch in and get a track to be used at the LHS. Having a track may also help to get new people into the hobby. Personally I don't have much fun just running an r/c up and down the street. So the only incentive for me to buy an r/c is to race. And racing should be an incentive for the LHS if they have spare room like that. It creates/peaks peoples interest, and not to mention the LHS could end up selling more replacement/hop-up parts.
Old 2011.12.31, 12:00 AM   #28
twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70hemicharger View Post
well im pretty tight on money but i have a small group i race with and a few mom and pop shops that deal with ous and have gone so far as to ask local schools for their gym space so that they can host races without having a huge store space for track and they try to keep up with what kyosho and other 1:28th scale rc's for ous its just a thoughtful way to help ous help them by providing a place for ous to gather and race and shot the breeze and bring their goods and make some sales yeah i could get it cheaper online but if i do that then what the local shops go under and im stuck playing with myself in my little basement. My group have quite a few towns we travel to but nothing to far out of range an lets just say their all small towns so the few rc shops that are their we like to promote and get kids intrestead by doing free race day where we bring are spare beater cars and let the kids get into it give them something to do because thats what it really comes down to we are only getting older and we need are youth to get into this to keep it going and im sure more parents rather go to walmart and buy some crappy rc truck then spend $150 or more on a mini-z but it might incourage that child to hey save some money go to that mom and pop shop and buy a decent rc car and get involed in something thats fun and challanging but if everything was bought online then these shops would close down and these small shops would be gone and these kids would have nothing to do but sit at home and play xbox or playstation. Not to mention its a give and take relationship. Yeah i can always try and find the best deal at the lostest price but i try to stay local and help local business and give are youth something to do to get them outside and also to promote small scale rc's. also by doing local business a local owner remebers your face they remeber you business you dont have to always buy in bluk to get a good deal. lets say a part breaks or your messing a piece they are more then happy to lend a hand or part. so besides my ranting im just trying to say its nice to help the little guys by doing your part as a buyer and thinking outside the boxs
see your lucky as well... you have owners/managers of a hobby shop that care about the hobby and its people. They support you, so you should support them...There are a lot of shop owners (:cough: franchises) who think they are going to get rich off this business, and could care less about what the hobby really is about. And mini-z isn't the hot ticket, so they don't care to carry items for it. Where I live, we have a lot of options for hobby stores(atleast 10 within 15miles radius)... but due to customer service or knowledge or have what I want... there are only 3 stores that I will go to when I'm in need to r/c stuff, and one of them I have to drive about 40min to get to.

Its hard to support your LHS if they don't support you.

Hey BermBuster... I still buy my pn racing and atomic parts at ILR. So that takes out the option/possibility of mini-z at no cost. LOL
Old 2011.12.31, 02:19 AM   #29
70hemicharger

Send a message via AIM to 70hemicharger Send a message via Yahoo to 70hemicharger
that is very true twinkie i hate to put it this way but some battles are easyier then others a few HS werent as easy to deal with as others but as a group we sat down with the owners and showed are numbers as a group not so much that we would bring a ton of profit to the business but that they would gain long term customers and also new customers by encouraging local people of that area to come out and race also by doing races at say a school gym its a friendly safe well know area and yeah its hard to lug your gear around but from my expriance you get a far better turn out rate and yeah the owner might just be their to make a profit but hey at least they are their making sales helping with parts batterys ect so what if their not the most helpful i know a ton of info and thats why im their to encourage people to pick up a remote and have fun and those that do want to compete well i do my best to give them pointers and help them become a better racer as its no fun racing alone like you said twinkie after awhile its no fun racing down the street so i say it can only exceed as far as you want it to. You only get back what you put it in and ive put in my fair share to this little hobby and ive made good friends and lots of racing buddys and by bringing racing to these towns weve helped give new coutomers to these shops and in return giving me more local places to shop

Last edited by 70hemicharger; 2011.12.31 at 02:22 AM.
70hemicharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011.12.31, 03:24 AM   #30
imxlr8ed

Kyosho USA needs tp promote the scale more... Seems like they gave an effort towards the DNano though, but then that seemed to be going away a bit.

Dunno why it is like it is for the Zs... just got back from running 10th scales and for what seems to be the first time ever, a few drivers actually knew what it was when I got one out mess with between heats. The kids racimg there were just amazed by them, the older drivers seemed to consider them a novelty.

I think it boils down to selling the idea of having your own track more than just having a little car. For almost all of us diehards on here, the track at home idea clicked right away... I think many just don't see the connection. I was inspired instantly when I first started racing these cars to build our own track, I had our old carpet track built before I even had my own car. I think if we never built the track, I never would have seen the cars as anything more than just a cool little toy either.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote