Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > 1/28 Scale Chassis Discussion > iWaver > FireLap

Old 2013.01.09, 12:33 AM   #1
Customizer

Send a message via AIM to Customizer
Firelap 2.4ghz Transmitters x3: opinions? Experiences?

I've noticed that the 2.4ghz Firelaps (IW04) have had 3 different transmitters that have been packaged with the cars. Has anyone here had experience with at least 2 of 3 transmitters shown below (or all 3)? What were your experiences with them?

Edit: Info from a seller of these cars
Quote:
There are two types *of Firelap transmitters* with the LCD screen (color and non color). The one with color lcd *the white TG 04c* has superior range and best handling response. Second most responsive would be TG 05 which doesn't have an lcd screen. I wouldn't recommend the one with non color LCD *the TG 03 since it's eating a lot of battery life and has poor performance.

#1.

#2. -

#3. -

Last edited by Customizer; 2013.01.11 at 12:29 AM.
Customizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 11:22 AM   #2
reaper

I have the top one and although the firelap is marketed as a fully digital proportional rc it is NOT
The steering and throttle is stepped ( like an xmod )
But it has more steps than an xmod from memory the fire lap has 15 steps the xmod has 5
mr-03 asf bmw mini
mr-015 f&f skyline
fx101 dnano fully loaded
fx101 dnano gt-r35 stock
razr awd W.I.P.
Mb-010 optima buggy
Yamaha m1 motoracer
reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 11:26 AM   #3
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper View Post
I have the top one and although the firelap is marketed as a fully digital proportional rc it is NOT
The steering and throttle is stepped ( like an xmod )
But it has more steps than an xmod from memory the fire lap has 15 steps the xmod has 5
We had a frustrated club member with the top radio. In short, an AM Mini-z will be easier to race then that 2.4ghz system.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 02:26 PM   #4
saddad

we have had about 3 members buy the top one. 2 had problems while the latest one is going ok
saddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 03:22 PM   #5
yamar6

I just bought the awd car with the stock radio.the stock radio has no brake just forward to rev.fire lap told me that I have to buy the better radio for brake but the car it self is pretty good the car drives 100 % better then my xmod evo
yamar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.10, 09:47 PM   #6
Customizer

Thank you everyone for your replies
yamar6 - You mentioned you bought the AWD car with the stock radio. Which stock radio pictured in the original post specifically?

saddad - You mentioned 2of3 had problems with the top one. What type of problems did the 2 have that the 3rd didn't ? How were the cars?

ChiMiniRc - What was the frustrated member bothered by if you recall ?

reaper - Whoa! I didnt know that. Can you elaborate for me? In comparison a Mini Z with full digital proportional steering abilities would have the equivalent of how many steps? 100? Also how many do you own in total (if more than the one you mentioned)? I read your opinion on another board re: these cars and it , along with a few others, put me over the top with regard to buying one.

I havent been able to find any forum members that own the 2nd transmitter yet. Odd.
Old 2013.01.11, 12:29 AM   #7
Customizer

From a person that has a wealth of experience with the Firelaps (iwavers)..
Quote:
There are two types *of Firelap transmitters* with the LCD screen (color and non color). The one with color lcd *the white TG 04c* has superior range and best handling response. Second most responsive would be TG 05 which doesn't have an lcd screen. I wouldn't recommend the one with non color LCD *the TG 03 since it's eating a lot of battery life and has poor performance.
This is info from a seller of these cars .
Old 2013.01.11, 08:51 AM   #8
yamar6

i have the second one down the one with out no screen.But i thought the esc had the brake function not the radio.also why wouldn't you put a brake my xmod has a brake.3 years in the making wow and didn't put a brake.Can't even take out rev. so it brakes

Last edited by yamar6; 2013.01.11 at 08:55 AM.
Old 2013.01.11, 08:53 AM   #9
ChiMiniRc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu28 View Post

ChiMiniRc - What was the frustrated member bothered by if you recall ?
He had to replace the radio one time. And the first and replacement radio all suffered from the same problem. THe car was just plain hard to drive. In the same way an AM mini-z with a dirty potentiometer. Steering would not center well. Lack of precision in the steering. Just overall a poor driving experience due to a lack of precision (compared to a mini-z).

Now, like an xmods, if it is just to drive around the house or drive your favorite autoscale, go for it. If you want to compete with other mini-z, i would strongly advise you just get a used mini-z or look at the mr-02ex ready to run platforms that come with the 2.4ghz kt-18 already.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.11, 08:57 AM   #10
yamar6

does the car with the color screen have a brake
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
He had to replace the radio one time. And the first and replacement radio all suffered from the same problem. THe car was just plain hard to drive. In the same way an AM mini-z with a dirty potentiometer. Steering would not center well. Lack of precision in the steering. Just overall a poor driving experience due to a lack of precision (compared to a mini-z).

Now, like an xmods, if it is just to drive around the house or drive your favorite autoscale, go for it. If you want to compete with other mini-z, i would strongly advise you just get a used mini-z or look at the mr-02ex ready to run platforms that come with the 2.4ghz kt-18 already.
Old 2013.01.11, 09:29 AM   #11
Customizer

^ Thank you for your details Yamar6 (regarding it being better than your Xmod Evo). I'll ask about the brake feature. If i find out i'll let you know.

I'm looking forward to receiving my Firelap (ordered 1 week ago) if for no other reason than to compile an accurate review based upon my experience and the loads of other people that have bought one or more of the Firelaps. There isnt much information out there so someone has to do it. Besides...most people seem to have purchased the Firelap with the first transmitter in the original post which people well acquainted with the cars and sellers of the cars have said isnt the best. The newer cars with the non LCD screen transmitter (the one Yamar6 owns) and the white color LCD screen transmitter seem to be getting better feedback from everyone i've spoken to.

I wont be racing these cars against Mini Z's at a club track or event (or against other iwavers / Firelaps for that matter ). In fact i dont know if my city even has a club or events for this scale. I will be racing them on my own large self made track with a few other people on occasion. I dont need $200+ level performance (Mini Z) but i do need to know what type of performance i can expect at $80 or less shipped (especially when it comes to steering precision).

However...if i can make the Firelap AWD competitive against stock Mini Z's (which i've been told already that it is by folks who own both Mini Z's and Firelaps) then so be it.

Last edited by Customizer; 2013.01.11 at 09:43 AM.
Old 2013.01.11, 09:35 AM   #12
Customizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post

Thank you for the details We need more in depth information like this.
This is consistent (more or less ) with what a Firelap seller stated and what Bodom said in this review here about the cars performance with the TG 03 (to be fair that car was binding as well):
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36964

In fact thats why i asked the question - to gauge whether the newer transmitters had the same issues as the one your friend had and Bodom reviewed. I wasnt going to order if the car came with that transmitter.

Last edited by Customizer; 2013.01.11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 2013.01.11, 07:02 PM   #13
Customizer

Apparently the transmitter you have (2nd in the original post) DOES have a brake feature Yamar6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamar6 View Post
does the car with the color screen have a brake
Old 2013.01.11, 11:56 PM   #14
yamar6

mine goes rite into rev. only when i let go of the trigger it slows down.can u set it up to have a brake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntzu28 View Post
Apparently the transmitter you have (2nd in the original post) DOES have a brake feature Yamar6.
Old 2013.01.12, 12:45 AM   #15
Customizer

I dont know from first hand. This is what i was told.