Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2004.03.27, 06:57 PM   #1
PatTink
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to PatTink
clear plastic for windows

well, after the school year i plan on making my plain ole beat up 360 into a privateer 360GT. This will take new paint which shouldnt be a problem if i can strip all of the paint and other things off the body, i took car of the lights and i am about to take out the glass.

This is where i have run into my first problem. Fia and other regulatory bodys do not allow tinted windows on the race cars. I was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get clear plastic windows for miniZ cars. or if anyone knew of plastic that would be easy to bend once warmed. This is the first thing i would like to solve.

Second thing. (long ass post already im sorry) I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for filling in the holes left in the front from the lights. Because I would like to "design" this car as a racer that would not be running at night, i would like to remove the lights and fill in the holes.

I plan on making this a pretty long project so that when it is complete it doesnt look tatty. Because i have seen many a RC car that had been rushed through and i would rather take my time and do it right and make it look good.

Thanks for people who read this, you can give short answers. also, when i start this project I will take pictures after everystep so you can see what a (hopfully) good before after it will make

oh by the way i plan on painting it black or maybe a british racing green because that is my favorite coloer (even though it should be red for italy)

PPS, holy cow this a long post.
Old 2004.03.27, 10:44 PM   #2
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
The clear plastic I think the best would be Lexan sheet. The only problem I see with it would be that it don't bond very well. There is Acetate that the Airplane guys use for canopies, I have not worked with that much so I cannot say anything about it. A big problem with clear styrene is it cracks too easy.

As far as filling the headlight holes just glue in sprue and other bits in the hole and fill with putty. After you sand it out, you will not know there ever was a headlight there to start with.
Old 2004.03.28, 12:56 PM   #3
t.l.cruiser
OVERLAND CRAZY.

Send a message via Yahoo to t.l.cruiser
ALTHOUGH RACING WITH TINTED GLASS ISNT ALLOWED. RUNNING WITH OUT GLASS AT ALL SHOULDNT BE. THIS ALSO MEANS LESS WEIGHT, INTERNAL AIR FLOW TO KEEP THE MOTOR AND OTHER ELCTRICS COOL. WORTH A TRY. T.L.CUISER
Old 2004.03.29, 12:27 AM   #4
PatTink
Mini-Z Novice

the point of the car is for it to look like a real GT spec racer. This would require glass in the windows. And also, this isnt going to be a show body and the roof could not be supported if the car flipped. I took off the glass yesterday and played with it for a little bit and flipped it and cracks started to form on the A pillars.
Old 2004.03.29, 12:49 AM   #5
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

I'm gonna be in Madison the last day of april...I should have some free time in the late afternoon. Is there still a track there? There will be 2 other racer with me looking to kill some time.

Cheers,

Pianoman

www.wildpianos.com/performances.html
Old 2004.03.29, 10:35 AM   #6
PatTink
Mini-Z Novice

where are you going to working in madison, if you dont mind me asking. There is a track but i dont race very much on it because you pretty much have to buy something at their store for them to actaully even talk to you and not many people race on it.
Old 2004.03.29, 10:46 AM   #7
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
you can try the clear plastic the autoscales come in. i used this for the rear bed portion of my ofroad land cruiser and it has so far remained glued and attached. i used superglue andbacked that up with a healty dose of goo which is flexible just in case the super glue cracked while the body flexes during take off/put on.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.29, 11:36 AM   #8
t.l.cruiser
OVERLAND CRAZY.

if its going to be a show body then how about creating an internal roll cage painted what ever colour u want ,this would look good and add strengh to the a pillers
Old 2004.03.29, 01:11 PM   #9
PatTink
Mini-Z Novice

whoops, need to make my posts more clear. This is NOT going to be a show body, i will use it for racing so eveything on it has to be as "functional" as a RC body can be.

arch. can the plastic from the autoscales bend fairly well under heat because, unlike a truck bed, i need the glass to curved a little for the front windshield...i figure i could also use small peices of the autoscale case to be a backing for whatever i would use for fill on the lights. Hmmmm your idea has spurred renewed intrest in this project. Now all i need is for school to hurry up and be over with.
Old 2004.03.29, 01:16 PM   #10
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
the plastic is thin enough to be bent or curved likely without heat if it's cut to fit right.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004.03.29, 01:19 PM   #11
t.l.cruiser
OVERLAND CRAZY.

Sorry pat tink, i understand now that it isnt a show body. ill be quiet now. LOL
Old 2004.03.29, 01:35 PM   #12
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/

Quote:
where are you going to working in madison
I'm doing 2 shows at the country club. The first is just after lunch (I think) and is private for some company and the 2nd is private for the club members in the evening. I will be looking for something to do from about 4-8.