Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.03.21, 11:14 PM   #1
mcharles13

Send a message via ICQ to mcharles13
Steering problems or normal?

Ok i've had my z for just under a week now. I seem to be having steering problems. i adjust trim and it drives straight for a short while then starts curving to one direction or the other. but it's not consistent. I noticed that while sitting still sometimes the wheels twitch but other times they dont. i think that though is interference.

how can i make my steering consistent? is this normal for new stock z's?

oh btw mostly i'm driving on carpet. really low tight carpet. i thought it might be the carpet but it does it on any surface, wood, tile, concrete.

any help would be much appreciated.

*edit* oh yeah, i also am getting mad understeer on hard surfaces.
mcharles13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.03.22, 02:02 AM   #2
ShauLinMonk
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via ICQ to ShauLinMonk Send a message via Yahoo to ShauLinMonk
that twitch standing still is pretty normal.... as long as it's not twitching like when you turn the TX off and the body ON....

that curve you get when you adjust the ST trim could be that you're going out of range a bit.... or maybe your stock h-plate is not even.... im not sure...

I've heard somewhere that concrete kinda interferes with the signal a bit too... anyone?
Old 2003.03.22, 02:55 AM   #3
Digisane
Mini-z Crash Test Dummy

Well because there is some freeplay in the steering the it won't track as straight over surfaces even with the slightest uneveness. Toe in would fix it better, but the best solution now is to trim it so that it tracks as straight as possible and use slight corrections on your controller. On track, it's better to trim it a little towards the direction the circles. For example, if the track runs clockwise, then trim your steering to have a slight turn to the right.

Also check your antenna connection whether the wire is actually contacting the antenna itself and sitting between the washer and the antenna.. I put the washer in BETWEEN the antenna and wire by accident when i first had my Z and had worse steering problems.

As for understeer.. it is a characteristic of the mini-z. Just get used to throttling out when doing a turn and it'd be fine. Hopups like a harder h-plate help solve the understeering.
Old 2003.03.26, 04:12 AM   #4
CaRbon Kid
Mini-Z Novice

my car is all over the place hahah dammit
CaRbon Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.03.26, 08:20 AM   #5
MR Spyder
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via ICQ to MR Spyder
My Mini-Z also suffers badly from the steering problem..
However, I make do with it by adjusting whenever I exit from a corner.. troublesome it may be, but that's the only way out so far to correct the erratic steering fault.
MR Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.04.01, 01:25 PM   #6
NSX-Fan

Re: Steering problems or normal?

Quote:
Originally posted by mcharles13
I noticed that while sitting still sometimes the wheels twitch but other times they dont. i think that though is interference.
If you would like to eliminate/reduce the steering twitch problem, perform a "paper-trick" to your servo unit. I would recommend it if you are good at taking things apart and putting it back together... If done successfully, it will help eliminate/reduce your normal steering twitch problem as well as your straightaway characteristics.

Here is the link:
MiniZ Canada Paper Trick

Note of caution: Again, I would recommend this procedure only if you want to do it, and you are pretty good at putting things back together... it can be challenging to some.

Good luck
NSX-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote